ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Choosing discs and pads...?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
After researching the potential uprgrade to 4-pot brakes I've decided just go not to. Seems there's issues getting the brakes bled properly and the pedal feel doesn't appeal even when they are working correctly.

So I've decided to go for an uprated disc and pad combo.

I've heard Brembo's Max disc seems to be a good choice and perhaps Ferrodo's DS 2500's ?

Really keen to avoid a disc/pad combo that warps.

Suggeations please?

All comments appreciated.:)

178hp 172 Cup
i can only give feedback on experience dude!! i went for Brembo HC Discs with Pagid Blue Pads and Moquip Hoses!! i also changed my fluid too!!

the pagids are awesome on track!! really do their job and tbh they are pretty good o road too!! brake ok from cold but they do squeal a bit on road unless u get them hot!! not many people cup of tea but i dont mind!!

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
i can only give feedback on experience dude!! i went for Brembo HC Discs with Pagid Blue Pads and Moquip Hoses!! i also changed my fluid too!!

the pagids are awesome on track!! really do their job and tbh they are pretty good o road too!! brake ok from cold but they do squeal a bit on road unless u get them hot!! not many people cup of tea but i dont mind!!

Any warping issues so far?

What sort of performance increase can I expect? Pedal feel? Bite etc?

Not too sure about the Blue's, more of a track day pad?

ph1 172... Sold:(
Darren S put a full EBC setup on his 182; Turbo groove discs (cheesey name) and redstuff pads F&R.

He says it's noticably better than standard, although tbf alot on here don't like EBC gear on the clio.

Yozza, RSTuning et al do full various upgrade kits that you can look at on their websites.

The one thing I would say is if you're confident do the work yourself. That way you can get everything mega-clean and free-moving. Most garages (although those 2 I've just mentiond would probably do an ace job) would just chuck everything on.

S.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've only ever run Brembo HC after the OE discs expired.

Lots of abuse on track, running DS2500, Pagid Blue, and now Carbon Lorraine. Never had any warping over three sets of discs. Not heard of it as a recurring problem either.

As far as pads go;

DS2500 are good, little squeal, not really a track pad, can fade easily.

Pagid Blue are better on track, stand up to continual heavy stops around Bedford GT that would wilt the DS2500s inside a lap. No real temperature issues, bite well from cold, surprisingly little squeal for me.

Carbon Lorraine are immense. Good bite from cold, but once up to temperature I can almost half pedal pressure for the same braking effect. Much easier to modulate brake pressure and heel/toe with them as I'm not having to put my whole bodyweight through the pedal! I don't think they're ultimately as fade resistant as the Pagids, but I can make much better use of them. Plus they squeal and spark like there's no tomorrow which is all good :approve:

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
I saw your vid of the Carbon Lorraines! How much and where from? Is all that sparky stuff bad for the paintwork/wheels at all?

I also run Brembo discs on pagid blue pads, my local track is a very twisty one thats hard on brakes and I have not had any problems at all, I am well impressed.

I was going to fit porsche boxster S rear brembo callipers to the front of the clio but when I used the pagid's they were that good I sold the brembo's.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi

Lots of abuse on track, running DS2500, Pagid Blue, and now Carbon Lorraine. Never had any warping over three sets of discs. Not heard of it as a recurring problem either.

As far as pads go;

Pagid Blue are better on track, stand up to continual heavy stops around Bedford GT that would wilt the DS2500s inside a lap. No real temperature issues, bite well from cold, surprisingly little squeal for me.

Carbon Lorraine are immense. Good bite from cold, but once up to temperature I can almost half pedal pressure for the same braking effect. Much easier to modulate brake pressure and heel/toe with them as I'm not having to put my whole bodyweight through the pedal! I don't think they're ultimately as fade resistant as the Pagids, but I can make much better use of them. Plus they squeal and spark like there's no tomorrow which is all good :approve:

I've heard of these firework antics from the Lorraine's. Like the idea of em' although I'm pretty keen to keep the paintwork and wheels in the condition they're in. If I used them they'd deteriorate the paintwork on my wheels and body?

Contradicting views on the Blue's. I thought biting from cold was poor, a track pad only?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I think as long as you constantly monitor and clean up what they are doing to the car you'll be fine, just find something that's good at cleaning them off :)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

As far as pads go;

I've heard of these firework antics from the Lorraine's. Like the idea of em' although I'm pretty keen to keep the paintwork and wheels in the condition they're in. If I used them they'd deteriorate the paintwork on my wheels and body?

Contradicting views on the Blue's. I thought biting from cold was poor, a track pad only?

Can't comment on the cleanliness. Mine only ever gets a clean once in a blue moon, so it always looks grotty.

Bite-wise, I can't say I noticed any change in the Blues depending on temperature.

Lionel Richie
on track PF 97 are the best, end of story, pagid blues come a close second (don't last as long)

if you're anally retentive about your wheels then don't buy those 2 pads!

the best of the rest (in order)

Ferodo DS2500
EBC greenstuff (road pad)

as for discs, the Brembo max are very good, but wear quickly, brembo HC are my choice

end of thread, good bye

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
on track PF 97 are the best, end of story, pagid blues come a close second (don't last as long)

Ferodo DS2500

as for discs, the Brembo max are very good, but wear quickly, brembo HC are my choice

end of thread, good bye

Do the PF 97's require heat to get em' working correctly? Not so good from cold?

megan R26.R number 006

Ferodo DS2500

end of thread, good bye

Do the PF 97's require heat to get em' working correctly? Not so good from cold?

they are ok from cold the only problem i find with them is after it has rained and the rain has washed off the coting the pads put on to the disks they then bite like the ferodo ds2500 pads do when they are cold which IMO the ferodo pads are not very good from cold they are way worse than the standard pads any way getting back to the pf97 pads they are ok from cold the more heat you get in to them the better they are and on track and i am not talking crap hear they can out brake the 197 which every one knows the brakes are brembo 4 pots and are very very good and i can say they just get better and better the harder you use them but there is one more problem with them is that they car destroy your wheels if you don't clean them very regally but all in all they are the dogs i have done 10 or 11 track days on my set of pf97 pads i am on my 3th set of disks and i have just ordered my second set of pf97 from yozzasport

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi

they are ok from cold the only problem i find with them is after it has rained and the rain has washed off the coting the pads put on to the disks they then bite like the ferodo ds2500 pads do when they are cold which IMO the ferodo pads are not very good from cold they are way worse than the standard pads any way getting back to the pf97 pads they are ok from cold the more heat you get in to them the better they are and on track and i am not talking crap hear they can out brake the 197 which every one knows the brakes are brembo 4 pots and are very very good and i can say they just get better and better the harder you use them but there is one more problem with them is that they car destroy your wheels if you don't clean them very regally but all in all they are the dogs i have done 10 or 11 track days on my set of pf97 pads i am on my 3th set of disks and i have just ordered my second set of pf97 from yozzasport

I used to use DS 2500 on my Integra. Thought they were ok from cold??

You say I need to clean my wheels regulary? That's not a problem but do the PF 97's spark? If so, do these sparks damage the finish/laquer on the wheels when braking heavily?

Lionel Richie
do PF97's spark! oh god yes!

in the 4years i've been using PF97's i've only found 1 wheel cleaner that works 100%

(you tried it yet homer?)

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I don't mind cleaning my wheels every two to three days.

Though I don't want them damaged by the use of a high performance brake pad!

As the sparks fly off while braking, this is causing damage to the finish of the wheel?????:S .

BMW M135i
I went with brembo hc discs with greenstuff pads, braided lines and new fluid as a fast road setup. I've never got them anywhere near fading, although I don't tend to me hard on the anchors.

megan R26.R number 006

in the 4years i've been using PF97's i've only found 1 wheel cleaner that works 100%

not yet Fred i have got this weekend to have a go at them and see what they are like thanks for sorting out the free trail :D :star: if it works i will get yoz to sort some out for me

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I went with brembo hc discs with greenstuff pads, braided lines and new fluid as a fast road setup. I've never got them anywhere near fading, although I don't tend to me hard on the anchors.

Sounds good!

Any problem with damage to wheels through the sparking given off?

Cup Packed 182 FF
I'm thinking of doing the brembo hc and greenstuff or ferodo pads, are the ferodo's harder to clean off the wheels?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi

In your opinion Fred if I use pads manufactured with carbon will these damage my wheels due to sparking?

I clean the wheels regulary anyway, just wondering if they become pitted despite the fact of regular cleaning?

BMW M135i

Sounds good!

lol greenstuffs do not spark. They're not a night and day difference from standard, but definetly better.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Sounds good!

lol greenstuffs do not spark. They're not a night and day difference from standard, but definetly better.

I used EBC Greenstuff a few years back. As you say not a great deal different from standard.

Then went to Ferrodo DS 2500. Definately an increase in bite but still got fade and discs eventually warped, though they were Black Diamond combi items.

Very interested to try out some of these carbon pads on the market.

Just worried that the sparking will damage my wheels or paintwork?

Lionel Richie
its not the carbon that sparks,

the full name Performance Friction 97 Carbon Metallic

the pads have metal compunds in them (almost like metal swarf) if like taking an angle grinder to a piece of steel

Lionel Richie
DO NOT BUY PF97's or Carbone Lorains if you're worried about your wheels or paintwork

its not an issue to me or my old customers as they want the best performance and b****cks to the downsides (i had to clean my car with wonder wheels and some industrial stuff for the wheels, but hey thats the 1 time in 12months it gets cleaned, seriously!)

Another recommendation for Blues from me - had them on for ages now (I'm not that hard on the brakes on the road, generally) and they've never faded, even on track, but offer a consistent feel and bite when warm that is confidence inspiring, meaning you feel able to brake that little bit harder and later :cool:

As for cold performance, mine seem fine - they can be a little inconsistent sometimes (it's weird, like if you're only using them really gently through town for a while they start to 'grind' and squeal like a b**ch occasionally, but if you're driving normally then they don't) but they are at least as good as standard from cold I would say, and are soon up to temperature if needed :)

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
DO NOT BUY PF97's or Carbone Lorains if you're worried about your wheels or paintwork

its not an issue to me or my old customers as they want the best performance and b****cks to the downsides (i had to clean my car with wonder wheels and some industrial stuff for the wheels, but hey thats the 1 time in 12months it gets cleaned, seriously!)

Thanks Fred for the advice.:)

The performance REALLY does appeal!:D Damage to the finish of my paintwork and wheels does not.:(

So I guess I'll have to take second best.:(

What are the closest options below carbon mettalic pads?...DS 2500?. Not too keen on EBC stuff.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Another recommendation for Blues from me - had them on for ages now (I'm not that hard on the brakes on the road, generally) and they've never faded, even on track, but offer a consistent feel and bite when warm that is confidence inspiring, meaning you feel able to brake that little bit harder and later :cool:

As for cold performance, mine seem fine - they can be a little inconsistent sometimes (it's weird, like if you're only using them really gently through town for a while they start to 'grind' and squeal like a b**ch occasionally, but if you're driving normally then they don't) but they are at least as good as standard from cold I would say, and are soon up to temperature if needed :)

Thanks for the advice. Really keen on the idea of em', but not the damage caused by sparks to my paintwork and wheels.

Will have to settle for second best.:(

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I was shocked tonight, braking moderately approaching a roundabout I could see what looked like diesel soot/smoke in the headlights of the car behind - I thought my engine might be f***ed or something.

Then after seeing it a couple more times I realised it's actually a big cloud of brake pad/disc dust wafting out behind me every time I brake.

Nasty.

I run Brembo Max Discs (cheap), EBC Greenstuff pads (with shim), Goodridge Braided lines with Wilwood HT fluid.

Works both on the road and track.