ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'Cheats' on C.O.D. Modern Warfare 2

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
Not really a rant, just trying to find out if this is a common issue.

I own three other C.O.D. games, but never really got into the online gaming on them, so I don't know if this is new to this C.O.D. or if it has been a constant issue.

I was in a game with some m8s the other night and one lad (not in out party) was basically cleaning up, he handed my arse to me a fair few times without me knowing what was going on, but his character never got killed. My m8 told us all to quit as he had a 'lag switch' :S.

Basically, my screen was freezing, then my character was dead, same for everyone else. The kill cam showed me just standing there while some 'cheat' filled my characters body with bullets.

Played for the rest of that night with no problem.

Was playing last night and out of 10 (or so) games, I came out of one because the same was happening.

Googled it and there's loads of pages show up, but why do people feel the need to cheat? I am not great, but I rank up reasonably quickly and I have some decent perks.

I don't see the point in playing if you are going to cheat. I will still play, but I won't stay in a game with a cheat. I don't mind if someone is better than me, I can handle that. If I am beaten by someone that is better than me, or had a better game, then fine, but cheating is just pointless (IMO).

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
Re: 'Cheats' on C.O.D. Modern Warefare 2

ah crap, didn't check my spelling of the title (must have hit the r and the e at the same time), I am such a tool :eek:.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport

yeh, he will be banned soon.

nothing can be done about 'lag switches' but if u see someone doing it, report them, leave the game and join another... i haven't ever come across one on any of the CODs yet.

its an old ish thing tbh but its annoying when people are lagging unintentionally but when they are doing it intentional it boils my piss that and modified pads

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Oh to have a ps3.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer

Yeah used to happen alot back in the halo 2 days.

Report em and they'll be banned soon enough. Eventually they'll patch it so they can't do it anymore.

See people pull host then constantly do things like speed tests so they can run round pwning.

306 GTI-6

Surely its impossible to patch a game to rpevent someone using a lag switch? Its not a fault with the game, its someone rigging something up to disrupt the connection online, to give them an advantage. I cant see anyway of patching to revent that, which wouldnt exclude anyone who didnt have a perfect connection.

It is f**king annoying, and its pretty obvious when done intentionally. As thr game runs fine, except when you encounter said person, it lags you die, it runs fine, you see them again, it lags, you die.

As said, quit game, report them.

Fiesta ST-2

What I find incredibly sad is the people that cheat to get to the top of the leaderboards... 555KD Ratio... yeah right 600+ Kill streak. Look how cool I am! I've hacked the score boards or my mates have let me kill them none stop for 30 hours!

Civic Em1, Civic Eg4

So how are people using these cheats? Like they typing codes in somewere or something?

I dont get why people would use cheats tho :S
Its all a good laugh just playing normaly

Astra GSI, 172, Golf

fair enough cheats are fun when you have completed the game and use them to mess about in missions . but its unfair to use them against other people online

i dont think you are getting how they are cheating

its nothing to do with codes

when they are playing online against other people they basically break their net connection they can then run upto you safly shoot you then it will connect again and they will be out of there your dead they arnt your pissed off their laughing and need to die

Civic Em1, Civic Eg4

Oh right! What a bunch of sad people!
I used cheats in games like GTA after completing it to have some fun,
But its just pathetic to cheat online against all them people just because your not good enough to get to the top on your own.

exactly its pointless on cod 4 you could always tell when some one was cheating as they would get headshots with a shotgun lol

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Tbh people that just stand in a corner waiting for people to walk past is more annoying, looks so boring as well! Spending 9 outta 10 minutes just standing there lol.

Tbh people that just stand in a corner waiting for people to walk past is more annoying, looks so boring as well! Spending 9 outta 10 minutes just standing there lol.

not really warefare isnt just about running round like a headless chicken

Motorbikes
^ I would do that on certain game types like Sabotage or HQ.

Also, what is a lag switch?

And where do I get one? ;) jokes

FPOS Productions™ 172 FR
happened a few times last night to me. connection drops, guy stood in front of me, i fill him full of holes, he then knifes me!.... Yeah' Ok then.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi

I only do that in overtime on sabotage and proper hide, so when they pass boom their dead and hoping im the last so i can plant the bomb and win :approve:

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
They stopped it on halo 3 and im sue 2 at one point. So they must be able to do something.

I think they just need to issue a warning saying if anyone is caught doing it its an instant lifetime ban, that'll stop most.

I thought this sort of thing would have been sorted by now, in old games it was a problem but in my experience with newer games that i've played if the client lags their shots/kills aren't counted.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lag switch? I was of the understanding you could use any cheats on the ps3.

Was a lot easier on the xbox, don't ask me why tho.

182FF with cup packs
I thought this sort of thing would have been sorted by now, in old games it was a problem but in my experience with newer games that i've played if the client lags their shots/kills aren't counted.

Depends on whether the calculations are done client or server side for kills.

If it's done serverside then the kill will not count, as it is the server which decides if you managed to kill someone or not and it takes positional updates from all clients and works out if it is a kill or not, and if the cheat is using a lag switch, it would not have updated it position on the server so the kill will not count (in fact in most server side games, if you lag out you will be stuck in place).

If it is done client side, then you can cheat as you client decides where the cheat is, and decides where you are from the last update it recieved, so if a kill happens on the cheats screen, then it will update all other clients that the kill has occured, and whammo, you're dead.

I believe that MW2 does not use dedicated servers, but whoever first starts the room is the actual server host, so it is very likely that all the hit/kill processing is all done client side, hence why Lagswitches work.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport

If it's done serverside then the kill will not count, as it is the server which decides if you managed to kill someone or not and it takes positional updates from all clients and works out if it is a kill or not, and if the cheat is using a lag switch, it would not have updated it position on the server so the kill will not count (in fact in most server side games, if you lag out you will be stuck in place).

If it is done client side, then you can cheat as you client decides where the cheat is, and decides where you are from the last update it recieved, so if a kill happens on the cheats screen, then it will update all other clients that the kill has occured, and whammo, you're dead.

I believe that MW2 does not use dedicated servers, but whoever first starts the room is the actual server host, so it is very likely that all the hit/kill processing is all done client side, hence why Lagswitches work.

there is no server, done peer to peer

Civic Si
Flol!!!

So thats why some random american started shouting at me and some friends when we were online!!

Our Clan tag is 'Lag' purely because one of our friends used to have a terrible internet connection, get sh*t loads of lag and generally finish last in every game.

he must of thought our clan tag meant we were using a lag switch.

Thats what I mean I thought all modern games were done on the server side.

Muggle even if its peer to peer one person has to host the game, thus being a server?

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
Thats what I mean I thought all modern games were done on the server side.

Muggle even if its peer to peer one person has to host the game, thus being a server?

meh, peer to peer is technically 'peers', but yeh, in theory like a server.

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
To top it all off, I accidentally stood on my headset so I have had to go out and buy a new one.

I found out that Game and HMV do not price match their own websites. Apparrently, the sites (for both companies) aren't linked to the stores in any way other than the name they trade under.

Went to Currys in the end, who matche the HMV site price.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Just had a game there had my M4 with stopping power and red dot guy just a few metres away from me right in front of me, i saw him first fired a good 3/4 mag in him at 100% accuracy then he pulled then he started to shoot me, and guess what i died, yeah right. did notice a small jump in conection it didnt seem right when i shot him kind of any way

Scirocco GT 210
I'd never even heard of a lag switch until this thread, then funnily enough last night on Xbox Live I saw someone who was using one (must have been).

It all started when this guy ran (at about 5 times normal speed) up to someone and knifed them, someone else saw them and opened fire, must have used half a clip on this lagger. After a brief pause this lagger suddenly (seemed to almost teleport he was moving so fast, covered about 15 metres or so in less than a second) magically appeared in front of victim no.2 and knifed him. I saw the whole thing and had used an entire P90 clip by this point but hadn't scored a single hit on this freak. After stabbing the second guy he turned his attentions to me, he seemed to pause briefly and then *bam*. I was dead too, again with the knife. Again he was standing about 10-15 metres away when he paused. Killcam revealed he just ran up to me whilst I stood there like a muppet.

Looked at his score, was 16-0.

Reported the cheating c**t and left the game. :dapprove:

Come to think of it, I have seen people 'teleport' around before (in Counter-Strike), but never knew what it was.

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
I'd never even heard of a lag switch until this thread, then funnily enough last night on Xbox Live I saw someone who was using one (must have been).

It all started when this guy ran (at about 5 times normal speed) up to someone and knifed them, someone else saw them and opened fire, must have used half a clip on this lagger. After a brief pause this lagger suddenly (seemed to almost teleport he was moving so fast, covered about 15 metres or so in less than a second) magically appeared in front of victim no.2 and knifed him. I saw the whole thing and had used an entire P90 clip by this point but hadn't scored a single hit on this freak. After stabbing the second guy he turned his attentions to me, he seemed to pause briefly and then *bam*. I was dead too, again with the knife. Again he was standing about 10-15 metres away when he paused. Killcam revealed he just ran up to me whilst I stood there like a muppet.

Looked at his score, was 16-0.

Reported the cheating c**t and left the game. :dapprove:

Come to think of it, I have seen people 'teleport' around before (in Counter-Strike), but never knew what it was.

Sounds similar to my experiences. Unloading a full clip and then having to sit there and watch yourself on the killcam standing still (like a total noob) is frustrating.

1.8 Civic EX
had the same problem last night. Seemed like every fooker was doing it so I just turned it off in the end.

Frustraiting as the night before I was doing real well (finished one match 17 kills and 0 deaths, no i wasn't cheating lol) but last night I had the same as above, some dude was just raping everyone with the knife. I back myself right up into a corner so there was only one way to get to me (right infront of me) suddenly this dude just apears behind me making no noise at all and I got knifed. He eneded up knifing me about 6 times in the one match, and every time he just "appeared".

Left that game, joined another. I unloaded a whole clip into someone and he just didn't die, one shot from him and I was dead.

Left that game, joined another. Some guy on my team kept shouting "wtf my bullets aren't doing anything! this is s**t" so i left that game too and turned it off..

real spoils it everyone tbh. (on the 360 by the way)