ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheaper alternative to Renault £90 Diagnostic check?

A black one
I had the 'emissions warning light' come on on the dash of my 04 plate clio. I called the Reno dealership to ask what I should do & they want me to take it in to them to run a diagnostics check but that will cost £90 - just to tell me that there is a problem with my car(!!) I know there's a problem - the orange light is lit up telling me! I don't need to spend £90 just for a confirmation - OR DO I!?!?

The car only had a service last month, and is out of warranty now. :eek:(
And that price they quoted was before making any changes or doing any repairs...

Is there a cheaper alternative? Do I have to use a renault garage or can I just take it anywhere to get it diagnosed? Or can I just ignore it as it still seems to be running fine, not misfiring or anything...

cock mobile.
Chances are you need to take it to Reno.

The £90 charge would be to confirm exactly what is wrong and you could walk away.

A good dealer would take off the £90 or include a much smaller charge if you get them to fix the problem.

Of course this assumes you can find a good Reno dealer.

ph1 172 / r1 mini project
you dont have to take your clio to just a renault dealer, most garages will have to diagnostic equipment to plug up and tell you the fault and its more than likely they will be alot cheaper

dave

cock mobile.
you dont have to take your clio to just a renault dealer, most garages will have to diagnostic equipment to plug up and tell you the fault and its more than likely they will be alot cheaper

dave

Most multifunction / multi manufacturers equipment is completely rubbish.

So I've been told, I'm no mechanic myself :)

my lights came on after fitting my decat(after about 2 months), took it to my local garage and they cleared the fault for 35 quid?
job done!!
mind you they do a lot of service work on top end cars so they have the equipment!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i used a snapon scarrer to dignose my faults on the 1.2, quick trip to autofactors and the problem was cured all for £36

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
The guy i've used a few times is a Bosch trained and can run a diagnostic check on any car , even though its a siemens system . Charges £50 . I always thought Renault charged £50 also from what i've read , but i might be wrong . You could try a different Renault garage .

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
I dont understand the Renault Clip machine. If my car is OBD compliant why wont a regular scanner pick the faults up?

T

tdee

lol, my mate works for national, free of charge of course :D was my lambda sensor...

I dont understand the Renault Clip machine. If my car is OBD compliant why wont a regular scanner pick the faults up?
Renault use a unique system its not simple as that many code readers can clear the basic MIL warning failure lights though.

Ktec'd 1.2 16v Sport
RAC came out to mine and gave me a list of faults and codes. reset the car fault history and all the lights on dash. took car for run around the block, but within 10mins lights back on. So off to renault Mbro £63 diagnostic check (refunded if work done) Phone call due tomoro to see what needed.
Guy at Thornaby said £45 for diagnostic check but still had to pay for it even if had work done as paying for his time.(fair enough really, Who works for free!)

M2 Competition
To the op, call the aa. Especially if you have a free homestart.

If you dont, upgrade your cover to include free homestarts.

And then call the aa, lol.

Ktec'd 1.2 16v Sport
I reckon it'll be a coilpack, or a lambda

SPOT ON!!!
Renault came back with oxygen sensor faulty. £213 to replace it and cannot guarantee that this is to solve it as until sensor is done can't say if there is not more faults!!!
told them to unwire it and i'll drive it elsewhere. also they cant give me what fault codes they got from diagnostics! (anyone can potshot a lambda sensor then add stuff to it)
Evans halshaws at Cannon Park Middlesbrough F**King Bast**ds!

Volvo S60 T5
Trip to Rentech Clip Test £25+vat
and if its just something easy like a coil pack then its just the price of the part on top of that.

How can the local dealer justify £90 for the same test???

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
How can the local dealer justify £90 for the same test???

I have seen numerous tubs of this stuff round my local dealers...

horlicks-300.jpg

Ktec'd 1.2 16v Sport
LMAO. Them sh*t themselves when i asked which sensor had gone cos I'm sure they didn't know it had 2! then told me it was upstream one.
I would love to bring it to Rentech, but it's a long trek from Teesside!
(Brother lives in Gosport so might make a journey one time though)

Ktec'd 1.2 16v Sport
Been to Allans Auto Electrics in Redcar, He did full diagnostic and came up with several faults. Fitted Lambda sensor (pre-cat) £25 (I supplied sensor £45) and reset system and retseted £35. £60 in total +vat.
1 fault came back up which was throttle valve tv control unit fault.
he has said could be:
1.relay £18
2.pedal £60
3.wiring (£time)
4.Throttle body $400!!!
labour £25 per hour

Car running fine though at mo so hoping all is well.(dont speak too soon!!!:quiet:)

P.s Evans Halshaw lost my engine cover and are refusing to claim responsibilty. they say new one is only £11.75 +vat. I said they owe me one, Let's see!!!

A black one
Update: I took my car to the garage - they charged me £86 to plug it in & tell me it was a 'loose connection' on the sensor post-cat. They 'fixed' it for free (how kind!) and I went on my way. The NEXT DAY the engine warning light came on again, so I took it back to the garage, they said this time they'd do the diagnostic test for free (what gentlemen!!) and when they came back they said it had a faulty sensor post-cat & that to order a new one would be a further £123 but they wouldn't charge me for labour (such generosity!!!)

So in summary, they want the best part of £210 for supplying & fitting a new sensor. IS THAT FAIR!? I'm sure I could get it done cheaper, but how? Any suggetions?