ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chassis differences ?

Westfield Duratec
Hi,

I have recently sold a hi-sepc and track prepared Westield to help fund a house extension and am now looking for a sorted clio for weekend fun and the occassional friendly trackday but eventually (in a year or 2) start to focus the development of this into a track only focused car

I have been doing some digging around and have my eye on a 182Cup that has some strong engine mods but have also have a mate of a mate about to part with a 172 Phase 1 with similar engine work done.

From searches I have got the basics in difference between a standard 172/182 and the Cup versions (and also the difference between 172 & 182 cups) but can anyone advise how the chassis compares on the 172 Phase 1?

Is the chassis iteslf the same for say a 172 Phase 1 as it is for the 172 cup, I know the hubs/uprights are wider on the cup and the actual shock/springs differ which doesn't bother me as I'll probably change as I develop the car anyway but are the chassis, wishbones, back axle, chassis/supsension pick up points all the same.

Thanks in Advance

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Afaik, the general chassis is the same across the mk2 clios. With the cups gaining some more rigidity ontop of suspension mods and track widening.

if it was me I'd go either ph1 or 172cup for a track ****

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Afaik, the general chassis is the same across the mk2 clios. With the cups gaining some more rigidity ontop of suspension mods and track widening.

if it was me I'd go either ph1 or 172cup for a track ****

I would agree with this. If AC is not important then it would be a 172 cup for me personaly. Also I personally would avoid the 182 Cup if I knew I was going to be mod'ing the suspension as I think there is less suspension coil over options available for 182 Cup / Cup packed vehicles.

Westfield Duratec
Thanks gents, I'd love to find a good 172 Cup with some engine work already done, think I'll drop the 182 I've been looking at as the mileage was a bit higher than I was really after.