ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Charging an iPhone at an event without sockets

Thanks for all the scare mongering in here, Jesus! So am I going to die in a battery fire related incident next weekend, having bought a Reliable-Affordable-Value RAVPower version?!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Lipos are notoriously dangerous when charged incorrectly - hence why a lot of people in the RC world charge them in fireproof sacks. A good charging circuit will look after the batteries and there won't be a problem.

Even if it doesn't catch fire, it'll be damaged pretty quickly, so it won't last many charges before it stops working. And if it does catch fire or explode, you'll know about it.

Lipos are notoriously dangerous when charged incorrectly - hence why a lot of people in the RC world charge them in fireproof sacks. A good charging circuit will look after the batteries and there won't be a problem.

Even if it doesn't catch fire, it'll be damaged pretty quickly, so it won't last many charges before it stops working. And if it does catch fire or explode, you'll know about it.

Lovely. So... RAVpower? Send it back?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
if/when it does, just open it up and replace the batteries with ones of your choice

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Thanks for all the scare mongering in here, Jesus! So am I going to die in a battery fire related incident next weekend, having bought a Reliable-Affordable-Value RAVPower version?!

That's what people said about cheap Chinese AC power plugs.

Then a few people died lol.

That's what people said about cheap Chinese AC power plugs.

Then a few people died lol.

JUST because I don't like S2000s you wish death upon me... ;)

I'll see how it goes. If it goes wrong, hopefully it's just £20 down the drain.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
JUST because I don't like S2000s you wish death upon me... ;)

I'll see how it goes. If it goes wrong, hopefully it's just £20 down the drain.

And not your entire house with your family in it lol.

Just admit it, you can't handle the torque lol ;).

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Loving my Anker so far, in the last 15 mins it's charged my phone 18% and it's still above 75% after charging a few other bits and bobs off it too. I didn't realise it has a torch in it too.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Just to update, since buying it, I've charged my Anker 3-4 times. That's it.

Took it away with me to Cowes, kept my phone charged for a week with only 3 lights on and left with 1 still on.

Charges quite quickly too, about an hour and a half to go from empty to full.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
mines been used at 2 festivals, each was 4 days
one 5 day camping trip
and many bike rides

its been perfect each time

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Tempted to buy one of these for my trip to Oz although ready reviews of it being bulky. Can anyone confirm how heavy it is?

Not heavy at all, though it isn't something you would want to carry around in your pockets. If you've got a backpack they are ideal. I took one to Brazil and it lasted me the whole trip.

I'm unsure if you can take these on planes though - Anyone know? Apparently they restrict the size of batteries you can take on board.

Not heavy at all, though it isn't something you would want to carry around in your pockets. If you've got a backpack they are ideal. I took one to Brazil and it lasted me the whole trip.

I'm unsure if you can take these on planes though - Anyone know? Apparently they restrict the size of batteries you can take on board.

Yep, you are limited by battery size!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

You sure can mate, I'm in Sweden now and carried mine in my hand luggage.

Lou

I checked on the Anker website and they are 74wh. Checked BA website and this is allowed.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I sell all sorts of things like this at my company - Powerbricks, iPhone 4/5 charging cases etc.

I am the ops director for one of the UK's biggest online daily deal sites, so all kinds of gadgets like that.

Dirt cheap as well.