ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing thermostat / Coolant flush

04BGFF182CLIORS
Im swapping the thermostat on the 182 next weekend as the temp' is sitting a little low and I'm pretty sure its staying on the cold map.

My initial plan was to grab 5 litres of 'type D' from Renault to top up any coolant I lose BUT that is going on the assumption it already has the same/right stuff in there.

A full coolant change is the most obvious solution, but I can't see the point in paying ~£30 for the convenience of 10l of pre-mixed type D from Renault, when surely a £10 bottle of concentrate diluted correctly will achieve the same results.

I understand its a glycol based coolant, not OAT. My dad will be helping (aka doing all the work) who has been a master tech for 30+ years, so diluting some antifreeze is hardly pushing his skills...

So unless the magical Type D contains something I dont know about, does this sound like a good idea?

:)

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Diluted is fine mate, you could run with just water if you wanted but for obvious freezing issues it's not a good idea. Buy the cheapest you can find! You could piss in it and it would be fine provinding it didnt freeze lol, coolant is coolant :p

Diluted is fine mate, you could run with just water if you wanted but for obvious freezing issues it's not a good idea. Buy the cheapest you can find! You could piss in it and it would be fine provinding it didnt freeze lol, coolant is coolant :p

Wrong! coolant isn't just coolant. It has alot more properties to it than just the freezing point.And i would advise not to fill with water or piss or dillute whats in there already:) (not long term anyway)
Best thing to do would be remove thermostat and lower rad hose stick an hose pipe in both thermostat housing and down top rad hose and flush them through.
Fit it all back together and refill with 100% type-d coolant.

Last edited:
  172 cup, Impreza P1
Shouldn't mix coolants as they can react with each other so you should stick to the same type.

Also has corrosion inhibitors which protect your engine block and other components.

04BGFF182CLIORS
This is what im saying though - what is different about type D?

Seems silly spending 3x as much on something that is potentially just pre-diluted anitifreeze on a 9 year old Clio...

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Oops, I got the 5L and just chucked it in after a coolant flush. Only put a 1L of water in. Hope it was enough dilution ratio lol

Clio RS200
Sounds like you've already made you mind up tbh bud. There's nothing wrong with anti freeze from Halfords/GSF/Euro car parts. They've sold millions of gallons of the stuff so why worry? No one else seems to.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I got it the other day and it was £12 inc vat. You could then buy the smaller bottle to make up the rest, although you'll probably find 5L is going to be sufficient as some may remain in the system.

04BGFF182CLIORS
Well thats the thing, I wouldnt say I have made my mind up - I just can't see the benefits of the Renault pre-mix over any other brand?

Amos - ill be doing a complete flush i'd imagine so will need enough to top it back up :)

I see Type D only recommended quite a bit here, I spoke to a Renault tech whilst buying a part ages ago he said they where using blue stuff at the time :S still bought type D (for another car)

My current car has an orange type coolant and was changed at a Renault garage (going from the notes) will give it a flush for Type D in the summer.

Heres a thread about coolant: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...nt-amp-Antifreeze-Explained&highlight=coolant

Id just get a 5L then 2x 1L bottles, not going to cost THAT much more over cheap off the shelf stuff.

Didnt GSF used to sell it cheap? I couldn't find it on there site last time I looked.

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Well thats the thing, I wouldnt say I have made my mind up - I just can't see the benefits of the Renault pre-mix over any other brand?

Amos - ill be doing a complete flush i'd imagine so will need enough to top it back up :)

hi m8, i work on the cooling systems on most cars, changing water pumps, radiators, matrix's etc.... & i mostly use the Red ethylene glycol mix in nearly everything.... has properties in it as such as, not to allow it to dry up with high temperature..... has corrosion inhibitors (critical), and of course so it doenst freeze. I use it in everything!! unless stated otherwise. Go and buy a 5L can for 12 quid or so.... it will be fine.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
as said has better corrosion inhibitors and uses distilled water as part of the mix is made as a longer life and better corrosion properties over the blue coolent. so if you use type d only top up with distilled water not just tap water.