ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing calipers

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Im going to be swapping my calipers for some new ones on my 182 and wanted to check that what I am doing is right:

-unbolt old caliper and carrier and leave the braided line connected, placing it on something so the line doesnt tug.
-remove old disc and fit new disc
-fit new caliper and pads which comes with new extended braided lines as they are brembos which need slightly longer lines.
-this is the part I need advice on, Is it just a case of undoing the old brake line quickly and putting my finger on connector to stop brake fluid coming out, then fitting the new brake line.

bleeding:
Attach some clear 4mm tubing to the bleed nipple.
Do you fill the brake reservoir with more fluid and replace the cap or can you bleed without putting the cap back on.
Get someone to push the pedal at the same time as opening the bleed nipple and then close the bleed nipple once the brake pedal reaches the bottom. repeat until you get solid fluid out of the tube.

Also is there an order to which caliper you bleed first etc.

Really appreciate any help.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Bleed and drain the brake fluid completely before you take the caliper off. Then you can replace the hose without any risk of fluid taking off the paint on the chassis. You don't need to keep the cap on for this.

Fit the new caliper with the new hose connected. Bleed the brakes in this order; front right, front left, rear right and rear left.

To do this by yourself you need to get an empty bottle, fill it with 2cm of fluid and punch the bleed tube into he bottle so the end is submerged. Pump the brakes half way down and check the fluid every two pumps. When the last caliper comes out clean fill the master cylinder and close the cap. Pump the last brake with the bleed tube still attached.

Reactions: Gus
  Track 172 Cup
Not that I know what I'm doing lol but when I was looking at replacing my calipers I was told too start with the caliper furthest away from the brake fluid filler (reservoir?).. like passenger rear, drivers read, passenger front and finish with drivers front.

Just my 2 pence.

Stu

Reactions: Gus
  dan's cast offs.
Bleed and drain the brake fluid completely before you take the caliper off. Then you can replace the hose without any risk of fluid taking off the paint on the chassis. You don't need to keep the cap on for this.

don't know what you use for brake fluid but it takes a 'while' to say the least for it to damage paintwork. also with an empty system you need clip to open the valves in the abs.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90

Fit the new caliper with the new hose connected. Bleed the brakes in this order; front right, front left, rear right and rear left.

To do this by yourself you need to get an empty bottle, fill it with 2cm of fluid and punch the bleed tube into he bottle so the end is submerged. Pump the brakes half way down and check the fluid every two pumps. When the last caliper comes out clean fill the master cylinder and close the cap. Pump the last brake with the bleed tube still attached.
Do i need to bleed the rears if I am only touching the front calipers?

Clio 2.0 16v 182
don't know what you use for brake fluid but it takes a 'while' to say the least for it to damage paintwork.

I use dot fluid. As is usual with most cars. And it's well known for stripping or distorting paint. What are you using?

Do i need to bleed the rears if I am only touching the front calipers?

No you don't but it's good to get fresh fluid all round for diagnostic purposes.

Not that I know what I'm doing lol but when I was looking at replacing my calipers I was told too start with the caliper furthest away from the brake fluid filler (reservoir?)

Other way around is safest. Depending on the car and fluid delivery, if you bleed the furthest too little you may send dirty fluid to the rears when you do the front.