ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing brakes today

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
oh ok, even if im changing the pads and disks?

Two bolts to take the caliper off but you dont need to take the hose off.You will need something to push the piston back in to the caliper though, a bit of wood and a decent lever would be ok if you have not got a wind back tool.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Its brake fluid not oil . I disagree about not bleeding the brakes . While your changing the dics and pads you might as well change the fluid as well . Get 2 litres of DOT 4 , it's alot more than you will need but it's always better to have more than enough than too little .

You don't need a brake bleeding kit . I always do mine on my own . All you need is length of tubing running into a jar thats already filled with some old brake fluid . One end is attached to the bleed nipple , the other end is in the jar with the end in the fluid to stop any air being sucked back .

It is easier if you can get a mate to give you a hand though . One cracks open the bleed nipple the other presses the brake pedal . After each press of the pedal ,with the pedal at the bottom your mate then nips up the brake nipple then you release the pedal . Repeat this a few times until the fluid runs clear i.e. no bubbles . Keep an eye on the brake fluid level after 3 or 4 pumps of the pedal and top up accordingly .

Just be aware that the bleed nipples can and do snap pretty easily if you overtighten them . They just need nipping up , not swinging on the spanner , lol .

Clio 1.2 16v
ah ok thanks for the advise! im gana take the laptop on the drive with me so i can read through the guide :D:D going to get the parts soon.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Haven't you got a printer , lol . Don't get brake fluid on your laptop it might melt it ;) or on any of your paintwork either .

^yes, usually.

i don't mean to seem patronising but it doesn't sound as though you've much experience in the ways of the spanner; it might be best to be sure you've safely renewed the front discs and pads and bedded them in before attempting to bleed the fluid

LY 182
^yes, usually.

i don't mean to seem patronising but it doesn't sound as though you've much experience in the ways of the spanner; it might be best to be sure you've safely renewed the front discs and pads and bedded them in before attempting to bleed the fluid
yep i would agree with that one,
as for the discs just pull one off and take it with you to the parts shop.
avoids any confusion.
also, dont be worryed about doing the brakes, if i was you just read the guide then turn the pc off and go get stuck in, once you are sitting there looking at it its self explanitory.
always change both sides and if the discs are knackered always change the pads with the discs.

Clio 1.2 16v
^yes, usually.

lol i don't. my mate is helping me who is technically minded, he done his dads laguna a few weeks ago. got all the parts, the lovely people at the shop told me what ones i needed and measured up for me.

i will let you know i got on, by the way my discs are vented.

henry dont worry you dont sound patronising, but im doing this to gain experience if it takes me all day, it takes me all day. if you dont do, you dont learn