ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Change "big end" bearings?

182 trackday racer
If they look like this should they be changed? No rough surfaces just the outer edge of the bearing thats slightly polished.

Are these even called the "big end" ones or are these "main bearings"?

Last edited:
For the sake of £50 id change them. Would be a good idea to see why they've gone like that tho?? Never seen them do that on one side.

No point putting them back in now it's all stripped. Check the journal to bearing clearance with plastigage to make sure there is no ovality on the crank, which could cause those marks IMO. Even better, check the journals with a micrometer too.

Lionel Richie
that look like the main behind the flywheel? nothing too out of the ordinary for (i would estimate) 60,000 km?

182 trackday racer
that look like the main behind the flywheel? nothing too out of the ordinary for (i would estimate) 60,000 km?

Yes thats the main behind the flywheel, and the engine have done almost exactly 60000km many of these on track. With oil changes every 5000km and propper oilcooling.

I guess its best to change them even if its not out of the ordinary?

182 trackday racer
Took the crank out yesterday and the wear was the same on all crankshaft bearings. Even wear on the top halfs of the bearing and all the lower halfs have more wear towards the flywheel side (like the picture). Noticed that lateral play was way out of tolerance. From what I have read it should be 0,07-0,23mm and it was more than 1mm on my crank. Could this have caused the strange wear?

Lionel Richie
yes, sounds like you thrust bearing is shot, luckily you can get oversized thrust washers/bearings

are you running a monster clutch or anything?

182 trackday racer
yes, sounds like you thrust bearing is shot, luckily you can get oversized thrust washers/bearings

are you running a monster clutch or anything?

Do I need oversized thrust washers? Or do you meen the crank may have worn along with the washers?

Im running a Helix paddle clutch, dont know if that is a monster? Only been running it for 8000km.

Budgie thanks, but it seems the crank is ok only the bearings seems to be worn. Will measure it up later in the week.

Last edited: