ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CCNA Basics

Nissan Jewk
Does anyone know of a good site to learn very basic CCNA stuff, i.e. like IP Ranges, Subnets?

I need to have a very basic understanding of how these work for an interview next week, so an online tutorial would be perfect. I've found this, but this seems to be a continuation and can't find the other parts...

Many thanks :approve:

DMS

A thirsty 172
Do you have a Usenet subscription? If so, download the CBT Nuggets training pack for the CCNA - awesome. I watched all the videos once, took the exam (while stoned!) and got 97%. Then again, I did know a lot of the stuff already.

This site gives a pretty good explanation of IP addressing / subnetting / CIDR / VLSM.

Plus, believe it or not, Wikipedia is also a good source of information on the topic.

If there's anything else you want to know I'm sure I could help you out :)

DMS

A thirsty 172
HATE CCNA, KILL MURDER BURN BITE SLASH.

FLOL. If you don't like the CCNA that much you'd top yourself studying for the CCSP.
I'm currently swotting up for my "CCIE: Security" theory exam, which I hope to have done by the end of this year.

Titanium 182
FLOL. If you don't like the CCNA that much you'd top yourself studying for the CCSP.
I'm currently swotting up for my "CCIE: Security" theory exam, which I hope to have done by the end of this year.

I hate networking, it's s**t b****cks and boring all at once.

So naturally I have a job in networking. :dead:

I'm looking at CCNA/CCENT now, something I have found good is GNS3 (basically load up real router IOS's and pratice the commands without real hardware).
http://www.subnettingquestions.com/ is good for making sure your ready on the subnetting front (there suposed to be random generated questions so should be different everything).

DMS

A thirsty 172
GNS3 is very good. It's especially useful for testing changes before actually implementing them. That way, if you happen to screw something up you're not going to cause havoc in your live environment.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I couldn't get my head round the literature on the official CCNA course.. their training material overcomplicates everything and the way they word certain things is shocking.

So I had a little search and I found this.. this guy explains it the way it should be done... once you 'get' it, it is very easy to understand.

[YOUTUBE]UXN5XrmsaV8[/YOUTUBE]

This is part 1 of 5, have a watch and by the end you will understand everything you need to know.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I doubt I'll be forgetting anything about networking for a long while. My job role relies on it to such an extent that it's second nature now. I acually emailed my mobile number to someone else in my department the other day... in BINARY!
It's also making my hair fall out :)

Facelift R53 Cooper S
I hate networking, it's s**t b****cks and boring all at once.

So naturally I have a job in networking. :dead:

I love networking, so that's 00000100 of us ;)

Although i failed my CCNP: BSCI last August so need to take it again :(

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Had a day being tought very basic network and telecoms stuff today and I'm surprised it didn't make me want to rip my arm off and beat myself with it. Actually enjoyed it. A bit.

182FF with cup packs
00000101 now

Do share what you were taught? Did they cover the OSI model, if not - go back and slap them :p

might as well make that 00000110 then :cool:

I have a good test to see if people know the OSI model. I make reference to things being a layer 8 network issue.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Did they cover the OSI model, if not - go back and slap them :p

of course :p it was largely based around this tbh within the context of what else we're up to this week, good fun though :)

Plus I wouldn't even try to touch the instructor, I'd be dead before my puny little outreached hand could hit him. He has an 'interesting' background :)

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
lol that's a good one. I've always been a fan of the classic 'please do not throw sausage pizza away'

Not a 320d
I have already studied the CCNA, although i have not passed my external certification. I am now studying the CCNA Security.

I cant remember s**t from the CCNA, and the Security is a lot to take in, and i dont find all of it interesting. Firewalls, IDS, IPS, all that ballaks.

e/

And its.....

All
Prostitutes
Some
Times
Need
Deep
Penetration.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I found the 640-802 exam harder than 640-553. But that's probably because been looking after PIX/ASA's for a good few years before actually taking the exam and didn't have quite so much to learn by comparison.
Most of the interesting stuff for the CCNA exam I already knew beforehand. It was getting to grips with the boring stuff like broadcast / collision domains and binary, hex and decimal conversion that I had to concentrate on because it was stuff I'd never paid attention to (or cared about) before. I also had to concentrate on learning the ins and outs of trunking and VTP because again, it was something I'd never come across before at the time.

Not a 320d
I found the 640-802 exam harder than 640-553. But that's probably because been looking after PIX/ASA's for a good few years before actually taking the exam and didn't have quite so much to learn by comparison.
Most of the interesting stuff for the CCNA exam I already knew beforehand. It was getting to grips with the boring stuff like broadcast / collision domains and binary, hex and decimal conversion that I had to concentrate on because it was stuff I'd never paid attention to (or cared about) before. I also had to concentrate on learning the ins and outs of trunking and VTP because again, it was something I'd never come across before at the time.

I started from scratch, its a huge amount of information to take in, im doing a degree at the moment, and i cannot wait untill its done with, as i want to go get a graduate scheme, if i can, so i can learn on the job. In most ways i feel ive taken the wrong approach, learning not working, but i hope i can get a foot in the industry and have my qualifications help me further up the ladder.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Three year bump.

I have decided that subnetting utterly sucks ass. Look - in the real world, you'll need a scope of approx 100 hosts. Just FECKING PICK A SUBNET AND BE DONE WITH IT!

Christ almighty. The ICND1 book so far wasn't too bad until I hit this wall of utter shite called subnetting. Unfortunately, it appears to be 98.8% of the CCNA course. Wonderful. Just bloody wonderful......

D.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Subnetting is piss once you find a method you can get your brain around.

DO NOT TRY TO FOLLOW THE CISCO ONE!

Whoever wrote it was huffing glue.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Subnetting is piss once you find a method you can get your brain around.

DO NOT TRY TO FOLLOW THE CISCO ONE!

Whoever wrote it was huffing glue.

Funnily enough m8 - you're the 4th or 5th person to say the same! It does seem like they have really gone OTT with describing subnetting....

D.

Not a 320d
Its a piece of cake. VLSM is easier IMO. Go get the ICND vids by jeremy

I couldnt grasp the Cisco way though.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Funnily enough m8 - you're the 4th or 5th person to say the same! It does seem like they have really gone OTT with describing subnetting....

D.

Make that 6 ! I couldn't understand why they worded it the way they did.. it's piss easy really but they totally over complicated it.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
CBT Nuggets are exactly what you need! they helped so much for my exams last year.

BMW F21 125d
Jeremy on CBT is the only person who made me understand Subnetting.

"SAVE THE HOSTS!!!"

Also as a tip for your exam, in your 15 min prep time, what I did was write out all my subnets from /16 to /32, mask, hosts, increment and ACL mask too. Saves loads of time during the test as you can just reference it instead of having to workout how many useable hosts a /29 has etc....