ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carbone Lorraine, is this normal?

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
I recently replaced my DS2500 pads with CL RC5 along with a set of Brembo Max discs. I know they are a more aggressive pad, and they do generate a little dust, but (according to others) the RC5 compound isn't too bad. I was shocked when I went out to clean my car today:

After 1 trackday, and about 1000 miles of motorway use, my front wheels are black. The surface of them looks like roughcast. There is even evidence of dust on the back wheels, which has come from the front!

The side of the car has brake dust stuck to it along the whole length, and the paint feels like sandpaper. This is after a thourough clean.

Added to that, the brand new Brembos seem to be done! I can no longer feel the gooves on the disc. They've munched a set of discs in a 1000 miles?!?

So.....while the stopping power of CL was simply stunning, the car won't be going back on the road until I get another set of Ferrodos, and yet another set of discs. I was going to get the wheels refurbed anyway, but I'm going to have to spend a lot of time with a clay bar and polish!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I run CLs but can't say if they're RC5 or not...no idea.

A full day at Goodwood recently and my wheels were still bright yellow with only a light powdering of brake dust...so I'd guess I'm running a different compound.

I run CLs but can't say if they're RC5 or not...no idea.

A full day at Goodwood recently and my wheels were still bright yellow with only a light powdering of brake dust...so I'd guess I'm running a different compound.

Hmmm, as far as I know there's the RC5 (the less aggressive pad) and the RC6, which is very aggressive. The side of the box says RC5, unless they've given me the wrong kind? Or maybe I just drive a lot faster than you :rasp:

Just as an update to this, I've spent the last 2 afternoons cleaning 1 side of my car. This s**t is f**king horrendous! The wheels are proper f**ked at the front and will need refurbing (I was going to do this anyway, so no big deal).

The paintwork has come up fine, I'm on my second bottle of AG tar remover which seems to shift it. It requires 3 or 4 liberal applications from a skooshy bottle and left to soak. I'll clay and polish after this is finished. It's worked it's way in under the door and along the sill, under the door handle and even into the petrol filler flap. I'm going to remove the door handle and petrol flap to get better access to clean. It's been hugely time consuming, but I'm glad there's no permanent damage.

I swapped them out for a set of DS2500s, and quite frankly they feel really crap after using the CL. Sort of rubbery and no bite, and after a few laps at Knockhill they were really suffering.

I confimred by looking at the old pads that they are the RC5 compound, supposidly the less aggressive of the 2. You have been warned!

Black Gold Mk2 Clio V6
I have those pads on the vee and they really wrecked my wheels! I left them uncleaned for a weeks while i was offshore and the dust it like its baked itself to the wheels - not good! And they squeeked from day one!

Cant wait for the new pads and discs to come!

megan R26.R number 006
Just as an update to this, I've spent the last 2 afternoons cleaning 1 side of my car. This s**t is f**king horrendous! The wheels are proper f**ked at the front and will need refurbing (I was going to do this anyway, so no big deal).

The paintwork has come up fine, I'm on my second bottle of AG tar remover which seems to shift it. It requires 3 or 4 liberal applications from a skooshy bottle and left to soak. I'll clay and polish after this is finished. It's worked it's way in under the door and along the sill, under the door handle and even into the petrol filler flap. I'm going to remove the door handle and petrol flap to get better access to clean. It's been hugely time consuming, but I'm glad there's no permanent damage.

I swapped them out for a set of DS2500s, and quite frankly they feel really crap after using the CL. Sort of rubbery and no bite, and after a few laps at Knockhill they were really suffering.

I confimred by looking at the old pads that they are the RC5 compound, supposidly the less aggressive of the 2. You have been warned!

i found that renaults concontrate wheel cleaner will sort out your wheels but dont get it on your skin :cry: and to get the boddy work cleaned eather t cut or Meguiars wheel cleaner dose the job

E46 325ci, ZX10r E9f
Neal off here who i'm buying my car off sent me a photo of his wheels after using carbone lorraine pads
clio28-3-09231.gif

Golf GTD Mk7
sounds a bit dodg to me. Discs used after 1000miles and brake dust that sticks everywhere. FYI, clay bar would have removed it all from the side (unless you tried that?). This is what i had to do to mine when my pads ran down. The metal fillings from the front disc were right down the side of the car.

If the ds2500 aren't feeling great go for a blast and bed them in propperly. Mine are really sharp now. I do have lines on, but that shouldn't make much difference unless really pushing it.

That's nothing, this is one of my wheels!

This is after a good pressure washing and clean with fairy liquid! On the left it's a lot cleaner because I spent about 45 minutes with alloy wheel cleaner and it's still not right. I gave up because it would take me ages to get all 4 wheels back to normal, so they're going in for a refurb.

wheel.jpg

sounds a bit dodg to me. Discs used after 1000miles and brake dust that sticks everywhere. FYI, clay bar would have removed it all from the side (unless you tried that?). This is what i had to do to mine when my pads ran down. The metal fillings from the front disc were right down the side of the car.

If the ds2500 aren't feeling great go for a blast and bed them in propperly. Mine are really sharp now. I do have lines on, but that shouldn't make much difference unless really pushing it.

Actually, I got the micrometer out and the discs are "only" 2 thirds done, so I've kept them for now. The pads are bedded in and have been round the track with them also. I've got braided lines. I've had a set of DS2500s in the past, it's just I've been spoiled by the awesome power of CL :cool: If only they were less dusty :dapprove:

Neal off here who i'm buying my car off sent me a photo of his wheels after using carbone lorraine pads
clio28-3-09231.gif
That was after a 4 hour Clean using Renault wheel Cleaner the sort of stuff you don't get on yourself but it was only on the inside bits of the wheels not all over the out side like yours

Ps Ian I'll ring you next week when I now anything

You see the bit on the CL box which says "For motorsport use only".......

Excellent pads, superb braking performance but they are a race car component not a road car component!

Cheers
M