ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carbon Fibre Bonnet repair?

White R26/Stripped Valver
Hi, my carbon fibre bonnet is becoming a sight for saw eyes, this is probably due to it being faulty. Ive had it for about 2/3 years now and its starting to annoy me. Its faded and got a slight case of bubbling. I was told I would need to wet and dry paper out the affected areas and then re-lacquer to get it back to form. Problem is I don't really want to take up this task as I will probably f it up. Does anyone know where I can get his done?

Heres a few pics: (Warning distressing images, veiwer discretion is advised!)

bonnet1nn1.jpg

That's water on the bonnet, before anyone says anything lol
bonnet2dm7.jpg

bonnet3cy0.jpg

Painful...i know.
Any advice is appreciated.
Mazza

It's about 3 or so years old, can't remember havent got the reciept. But it started about 1 and a half years after I got it but was minimal and just got worse.

Punto/Clio GTT
i dont really know if many bodyshops would take it on. has potential to be a nightmare job if it starts reacting or the lot just drags back trying to feather it in

aint clued up on carbon bonnets, are they laquered over and thats whats flaking or do they have a film over them or something?

best to just go round a few local ones and ask

Thanks for the advice, Ill have to search some up and give em a call. I might email K-tec and ask them what to do as it came from them.

Im sure they have a few layers of lacquer on them, might just be the top layer that was bodged, which wouldn't be too hard to fix... i think

Lionel Richie
if water has got behind the gelcoat its fucked

its a bit like cancer mate, you'll have to cut out all the old s**t, but doing that without damaging the cloth is impossible

Cro

Meg'd r27
Shouldn't be a big problem mate. Theres a guy here in NI that works with carbon fibre. after a while most carbon fibre parts need doing again anyway as that happens or it starts to get a green tinge, if thats a gel coat then it should just peel away with the likes of a credit card and re gel'd no problem having it look good as new!