ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car wont start

clio 172 cup
Had the same problem last year as soon as the cold weather comes the car decides to not start.

Its very intermitent but has failed last two times.

Had the battery changed early this yr that seems fine, had a service and mot in March and asked for them to check it but they said its all fine on what it could be.

Im at a lose end as to what it can be hope anyone can help?

Starter motor?? how can you tell if its that?

Have put high octane fuel in but dont think that has any bearing.

Clio 197
Turn the ignition to the second click, leave the door open, disconnect the battery, wait about 10 seconds, re connect the battery, take the key out, lock the door, unlock it and try again. This made my 182 work when it did this in the cold weather. It had a new crank shaft sensor but that did nothing. It's worth a go. Good luck.

1.2 16v
Diesel? I had this with my dad's DCi, turned out the heater/glow plugs were actually flooded with rainwater... LOL

1.2 16v
Ah snap my theory out the pooper. I know it'll be simple but have you tried keepin the key turned once for like 30sec-1min then turn key off then try? Would this sort of heat things up like the wires etc? any thing wrong with any earth someplace or would this not be an electrical issue? That's something I'd do.. Probs because I'm useless! Lol :eek:

clio 172 cup
my knowledge on cars is woeful im hoping you guys can help, but i want to know roughly what it is before i take to a garage.

1.2 16v clio
Have you checked the crankshaft sensor? Mine was just turning over and not firing a couple of weeks ago...took it to a garage and they changed the crank shaft sensor and now she is starting first time :)

clio 172 cup
Have you checked the crankshaft sensor? Mine was just turning over and not firing a couple of weeks ago...took it to a garage and they changed the crank shaft sensor and now she is starting first time :)

No not yet,

Any idea on how much they are and how long the garage take to fix it?

What are the signs its the immobiliser?

clio 172 cup
Took my car into garage today, and the mechanic has said no faults with the car and has started first time has been in the garage 6 hours for regular checking. Has run a computer test and came back with no fault.

Any ideas? before i pick it up?

Iceberg 172
Mine done the same thing, was the battery in the key fob was low, so used my spare key and boom! Works fine now

clio 172 cup
Mine done the same thing, was the battery in the key fob was low, so used my spare key and boom! Works fine now

Ok picked the car up from mechanic

Wouldnt start this morning, he then got out the car locked it got back in and started first time.

Could it be immobiliser?

Scott

Iceberg 172
Well no difinative answers yet, have booked it in with Renault they have more of a high tech computer i take it.

If it is immobiliser how much costing will it be parts and fitting? 2 hours?

Depends mate if its the immobiliser in the key flob or in the car, sometimes it might only cost £70 for someone to reprogram the immobiliser but if you need a new one it can cost £££, I might be wrong but think that's about right, anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

clio 172 cup
renault have said about the light flashing which is flashing steadily and also the light goes off after around 2 seconds.

They said it sounds like its ok the immobiliser.

got a feeling this could cost alot of money :S

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
would a fault on the immobiliser show up in there computer?

Not always because its not that simple and you need to know/understand how the system works.

If the red light is on solid and then goes off after 2-3secs then the security system is working fine ad the vehicle is authorised to start using that key.

I've not read the full thread, why problems are you having?

Mick