ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car won't start :(

Partner's Astra SRi
Went out to my car yesterday and it wouldn't start. Now it hadn't been driven since last Saturday so I thought the battery might be flat again (about 4 weeks ago I found my battery flat but I thought that was due to the extreme cold discharging the battery).

Anyway, went to get the battery charger to jump it but there was absolutely nothing happening. I turned the key and nothing at all.

Any ideas??

(51 reg 1.2 16v dynamique btw)

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Battery charger doesnt give the battery enough power to be able to start a car from it. Leave the charger attached for half an hour then try again.

Then you need to find out if the batteries at fault due to not properly holding the alternator charge or indeed if the alternator is not providing enough voltage to charge.

Partner's Astra SRi
Ah ok, didn't know that about the battery charger. I used it to start my car the other week and it started straight away. I'll try that, cheers.

Ah ok, didn't know that about the battery charger. I used it to start my car the other week and it started straight away. I'll try that, cheers.

All depends if its a 'Battery Charger' or a 'boost pack.'

A battery charger wouldn't 'jump' the battery it will just charge it over time.
A boost pack will act as another batter so the car can be jumped.

it wont start straight away, i had to leave mine charging overnight...

mines was left for 8months though...

my car is not starting and it sounds very similar to whats been mentioned in this thread (has been left since the 21st).
i've tried jump starting it from another car and nothing happened. would leaving a battery charger on it for a few hours make any difference or is it looking like another fault?

sorry for hi-jacking the thread...the answers here could help us both :)

my car is not starting and it sounds very similar to whats been mentioned in this thread (has been left since the 21st).
i've tried jump starting it from another car and nothing happened. would leaving a battery charger on it for a few hours make any difference or is it looking like another fault?

sorry for hi-jacking the thread...the answers here could help us both :)

few hours might not be long enough...try longer...altho surely it should have started with a jump from another car...

yeah i thought it would have started with another car. however it didn't even a complete a turn of the engine...just a click/thump sort of sound which sounded like it was from the starter motor.
car is sat on a battery charger at the moment, prior to attaching it to it the battery read 11.26V...what do they normally read when off?

Mental 172 Cup
12.6v is a charged battery voltage!

12v means it needs a charge!

11.26v sounds like its fooked tbh! well low!

shud be up around 13.80v - 14.20v when the car is running!

12.6v is a charged battery voltage!

12v means it needs a charge!

11.26v sounds like its fooked tbh! well low!

shud be up around 13.80v - 14.20v when the car is running!

coolio :) cheers for that. i'll leave the battery charger on for a while (nowt I can do about getting a new battery yet so may as well leave it just in case it solves the problem)

Mental 172 Cup
you will probs be able to fully charge it to give it enough to just start it!

but i would consider gettin a new battery if it keeps happening! :D

you will probs be able to fully charge it to give it enough to just start it!

but i would consider gettin a new battery if it keeps happening! :D

oh, maybe fingers crossed then. this is the first time the car has been left for a period where it has not been run. also i think the cold weather has had an effect on the speed of discharge.

coolio :) cheers for that. i'll leave the battery charger on for a while (nowt I can do about getting a new battery yet so may as well leave it just in case it solves the problem)

you shouldnt need a new battery imo...

mines was nackered after being left for almost a year...

charged it up...left it running for a while...bit shakey for the first week...but after being driven about a lot..it seemed to have charged itself back up again..

no problems

whats everyones opinion on leaving the charger on the battery with it still in situ throughout the night.

sensible or not? thinking it should be ok but just wondering if its worth it?

Partner's Astra SRi
Right, I gave up with the advice I got given because it was a jumpstarter I was using (didn't know until my fiance told me.....). Anyway, I can't afford a battery charger right now.

But if it didn't start with the jumpstarter, it probably won't start with a jump from another car, will it?

I need help, I can't afford to get it looked at by the garage. And I need my car next week :S

Right, I gave up with the advice I got given because it was a jumpstarter I was using (didn't know until my fiance told me.....). Anyway, I can't afford a battery charger right now.

But if it didn't start with the jumpstarter, it probably won't start with a jump from another car, will it?

I need help, I can't afford to get it looked at by the garage. And I need my car next week :S

wont be much power in a jumpstart...especially if it hasnt been run for a while...

it should start connected to another car however..

Partner's Astra SRi
Ok, cool. Hopefully I can get it going tomorrow morning then!

If it doesn't work, I'll be back :D

Partner's Astra SRi
Sorted.

Wouldn't jump from my fiance's Megane Coupe with a 5 week old battery but it charged off my friend's Fiesta ST and then bump started.

Hoorah!!

woop woop! I sorted mine today as well. didn't have any luck jump starting it off my mum's car so decided to give bump starting it ago as my dad was about to help....fired up again first time :)

majority of times it will just be down to a flat battery..

people panic tho, and thing the whole engine is shot...

Partner's Astra SRi
It's just that my battery has been flat a few times recently, I was a bit worried as I can't afford any work on my car. I guess I will just put it down to the extreme cold we've had down here :D