ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car traders - some are just dodgy.

Went to look at a clio on saturday. The guy who had it was a car trader, but he sold from his house, like a few traders do.

Turned up and looked at the car, it was a 1.2 extreme, and when looking round it, I asked if it had ever been in any accidents, or been written off etc, and he said not to his knowledge and assured me it's fine. I noticed that the front bumper didn't line up with the wing too well, and the engine bay looked brand new, but I thought it might be because it had only done 29k, maybe just used rarely.

Obviously did an hpi check on it, and it came back as being recorded as a total loss in January. Guy claimed he didn't know, but surely a trader would check these things before buying cars?!

Anyway, didn't buy it. Got to look at another tomorrow after work. Is at a garage though, and has already had a hpi check done.

Black 172
Should report him, surely it's illegal for a trader to sell you a car saying it's not been in an accident when it clearly has. He would have bought it knowingly and is trying to make a quick wad of cash :(

Monaco 53/468
He may well be legit and not have HPI'd it, if he sells from his house I guess he either buys from auction or from other dealers, maybe another dealer stitched him up and said it was HPI clear, maybe he just hadn't got round to HPI'ing it yet

He may not of lied, if he said "not to my knowledge" then he's saying he doesn't know for sure, fair enough

It should be the responsibilty of the buyer to HPI it anyway IMO, that way you know for sure

Hate it when people slate traders with no valid reason

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
He may well be legit and not have HPI'd it, if he sells from his house I guess he either buys from auction or from other dealers, maybe another dealer stitched him up and said it was HPI clear, maybe he just hadn't got round to HPI'ing it yet

He may not of lied, if he said "not to my knowledge" then he's saying he doesn't know for sure, fair enough

It should be the responsibilty of the buyer to HPI it anyway IMO, that way you know for sure

I sort of agree with you, but in this instance, I am agreeing with Xzibit.

The car was a total loss in Jaunary, it is now April. Just enough time for someone to repair it and sell it on? Coincidence?? I think not.

It should be the responsiblity of the purchaser to HPI it yeah, but tbh if your buying from a trader you would (well I would) have expected them to have done it already.

Now the seller knows he's got a recorded car, so unless he already knew it & paid rock bottom for it, he won't make much on it, unless of course he punts it to some unsuspecting buyer.

Black 172
Why would any trader buy a car without getting a HPI check, they're in business to make money not throw it away!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Some dealers are pricks. Saw 2 cars recently, advertised with FSH, even checked on the phone before going to look. Turn up, both cars 30k+ miles, 4 yr old. One service in all that time.

53 Clio's & counting
well we can clear this up, someone ring him up and ask for details on the Clio, ask if its been crashed and see what he says

I'm not slagging all traders, just saying I think this one was dodgy. I agree it's up to the buyer to hpi, as we did.

But I just thought surely he should have done one himself?!

MCS R56

Surely a good trader will know the cars he is selling? Otherwise, he's not worth buying from and not good at his job.

Not knowing for sure is not fair enough.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat
It costs me £3.95 to get a HPI check on a car, it takes me approx 1 minute....

...your telling me a trader (which would most likely pay less than this) risks his hard earn money without checking his valuable stock first?

He's quite simply dodgy lol

Monaco 53/468
Its just the generalisation, when people catagorise all dealers as dodgy, thats all. I can see now why this one has been accused though, my bad

The price says it all, too cheap at that mileage, i will be selling a 04 plate 1.2 extreme on 50k soon, it will be advertised at £3.5k, the phone will be ringing off the hook.

I'm meant to know it's dodgy from the price am I?!? I have no idea what cars are worth so I look online, and phone up about them.

If he priced it low as it was repaired, then that's more prof he knew.