ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car stuttering randomly...

Megane 265 Cup
Hey all,

Looking some advice, recently my 182 has started randomly stuttering, for example if im moving off in first gear when accelerating the revs seem to stick and the exhaust makes a sorta poppin gurggling sound then about a second later power comes back and it takes off...what is this likely to be? From a noob point of view my first thought was spark plugs?

Cheers

Megane 265 Cup
Oh also, I checked for fault codes and got nothing, well I think it means nothing, but it just said "t---"

1.5dci
take ya plugs out, give um a clean, make sure the ht leads are pushed on properly, not sayin it will work mind, but i had a lose ht lead cuz the rubber had got stuck. .

Megane 265 Cup
Will try that, i also just read that t--- is an injector issue, is this correct?

Maybe the CAT in the Exhuast? Ive heard if they break/get blocked they can cause issues like the engine is being choked (stuttering) could even be the distributor cap. Have you tryed running the engine and taking the spark plug leads off one by one and seeing it it makes a different to how the engine idles?( Rplacing each lead back on the distibutor cap in turn, also watch for the spark it hurts lol) If you find one what doesnt affect the engine could be ditrib cap or HT Leads?

Megane 265 Cup
Car is decatted so I will rule the cat out lol, I will try your suggestions, but can anyone confirm that t--- is the error code for a faulty injector? Out of curiousity too, how many injectors are there? I have no idea lol...

Titanium Clio 182
Distributor cap? Your back a few years there mate lol. There is four, one per cylinder. Could even be as little a problem as a small amount of dirt in the tip of the injector causing it to stick. Worth a shot to throw injector cleaner through the petrol for a try. Could help if its dirty petrol. What all have you checked about it?

Titanium Clio 182
Also dude I don't think you can run car and take leads off one by one to check for spark, as you have to split inlet manifold on them to access plug wells etc? so therefore of you did it would surely rev straight to red line?

Megane 265 Cup
I will try the injector cleaner first, car is going for a service shortly anyway so will mention it and get it checked out, cheers for the advice.

Megane 265 Cup
Also, can anyone recommend a good injector cleaner? Is this a good idea any risks?

Titanium Clio 182
Redex, used it in a few customers car as a first step easy solution. Local petrol station usually has it. Can you don't put the hole of the T fault code? I can look it up in book for you...

Titanium Clio 182
ooh, and read the label. never be silly and use a bottle to like a tenner or something you'll burn valves or something..

Megane 265 Cup
The only code I see is "t---" I get this by holding the button in on the end of the stalk then turning the key a few turns but not starting the engine....

Megane 265 Cup
Also, I have noticed this only ever seems to happen shortly after the car has been started and im driving off, when the car is up and running it seems to drive totally as normal....maybe this helps to diagnose?

Titanium Clio 182
So you don't have a code reader? Hmmm. Where are you based? If it listed or gave numbers I could have gave you the fault. You havnt checked spark plugs or changed recently? If its over fueling I think it could possibly cause it to splutter also..

Megane 265 Cup
Ah I didn't realise you were in Belfast until just now lol, I am in Lisburn mate, haven't touched and plugs or changed them or anything recently....You got a code reader yourself?

Titanium Clio 182
I don't have one buddy but I can get my hands on all sorts lol. I'll run fault codes for you if you want. Ps on the service too. Please don't go to Charles hurst Reno! Could be a weak plug or spark too? Throwing allsorts at you lol. I'll be in lisburn the mara night putting a starter in one on Thursday night if thats any good for you..

Megane 265 Cup
Ah don't worry I won't be going anywhere near them lol never do, I will drop you a pm and let you know about tomorrow night, not sure if I will be around, thanks for the offer I will let you know mate.

Cheers

Titanium Clio 182
Ha Ha thats another fair point! Did you build the 5dr 182?! Or did they actually come in a 5 door? Quite interesting!

Cro

Meg'd r27
Built mate, only one :) have a jeff through my build thread one day your bored. Must keep an eye out for your car, not many silver 182s about

Titanium Clio 182
Very nice mate. Need to do a bit of work to it yet , 2 women owners too so have to sort out some bodywork hahaha. Havnt long had it to be honest either, but iv put belt kits, dephaser, sportline springs and silver pro race 1.2s on it. Ill have to check that thread out sometime! Where you based?