ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car running poorly

Right this started about 3 weeks ago. I was on the way to work one day and the eml light started flashing, so took it steady the rest of the way. When the eml flashed it would start to missing like mad.
When I got to work I got it on the diagnosis machine and it came up with a injector fault. Changed the injector and this solved the problem or so I thought

Basically it was fine for 2weeks, then today on the way home from work I get the flashing eml again. This time it went off after a few seconds and hasn't come back on as yet.
Apart from the odd judder (like a mild misfire) the only other thing I noticed on the way home way was occasionally when backing off the throttle it would pop quite loud.

Now obviously I'll be getting it on the diagnosis machine asap but I can't do this till friday.

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing this? Surely not another injector fault?

I do apologize for my terrible grammar etc.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
@tonyd106

A vw tech once told me if one injector goes it usually takes out another with it.

I had this problem, replaced the first and then 2 days later the second went. Hence I replaced all of them.

You can take the fuel rail guard off. Run the car. Unplug the injectors 1 by one and see which one makes the least difference. Thats the one that's likely gone.

Beware when reading the codes the injectors are numbered from the flywheel end instead of the cambelt like most cars.

When this first happened to me it only started flashing for a bit like you describe. I started the car one day and it had failed completely. Easy to replace. 10 minute job.

Yea I replace them all, but with a second hand set (they ran fine with no issues before hand).

At the same time I also replaced the plugs as I know they get all shitty when it's missing.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Still got the originals? I'd do the unplugging thing and see which one is kaput and do a swap.

Yea done the unplugging thing on the originals and it's was running the same when I took out number 3 (I think).

I can't really do it again yet as it only missed slightly earlier when using partial throttle.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yea done the unplugging thing on the originals and it's was running the same when I took out number 3 (I think).

I can't really do it again yet as it only missed slightly earlier when using partial throttle.

Might be worth having them ultrasonically cleaned and the flow rates/spray patterns on the injectors checked.

Megane r26
Have you put a multimeter across any of the injectors to check the resistance?

They can be fucked long before they bring an error code up, that's usually when the coil has broke down completely. You should be getting around 14.5ohms resistance across an injector on these, when the knackered this figure is usually much lower unless it's failed due to high resistance but haven't come across that yet.