ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car has just dropped the contents of its engine..

Anything from the fleet
Well after a successful day at Star I went out tonight to see my friend and all of a sudden I can't see out of my rear window for what I think is spray. Give it a quick wipe, but that hasn't cleared it. Hang on a minute, what's that burning smell, and where's that smoke coming from?! Pull over to take a look and discover oil pissing out of my sump! So I sat there for about half an hour until the AA arrive. He takes a look underneath and says that I have no sump plug! The car has only ever been serviced by Renault, and AA man reckons that they didn't tighten it up properly and it's just worked itself loose! I'm so annoyed. He said that I have saved the engine by turning it off before any of the lights came on but when he moved my car I swear there was about 4 litres of oil left on the tarmac! Anyway I guess I'll be having words with Renault tomorrow...

R35 GTR
my car dumped all its oil and I carried on driving unaware, still working over a thousand miles later, fingers crossed!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
lol.

There is an additive you can buy for oil that protects the engine if it ever runs out of oil... Doesn't last for ever obviously though..

BMW M4; S1000 RR
No.

One of my first cars (rover metro) ran low on oil, and I didn't realise for ages. Partly because I didn't care, and partly because I didn't check.. Never broke down once, even after being crashed... Smoked a little though:rasp:

Clown Car
I changed my engine oil for the first time the other week, it had never been done before as the car is only 12 months old, with the socket in the sump plug i reckon i could have just about undone the sump plug by hand.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
Andy @ GDI said that my sump nut plug was around 2,000 miles away from coming out, and that came straight from the factory!

Anything from the fleet
On the plus side the garage were apologetic and have arranged for Renault Assistance to come out and recover it to them, and supply a courtesy car. Chances of a 197 if I complain enough?! lol

Clio 172 mk2
That's pretty appaling....how difficult is it to do up a sump plug?

I usually check mine after it's been to the garage just to be on the safe side...bit paranoid but saves hassle in the long run.

Hope you get it sorted

Anything from the fleet
Well they have been good so far actually - they arranged for me to go to Avis and pick up a car there but due to time constraints I have had to decline. The garage hinted that I might have hit something and cracked the sump, but when I produced the sump plug they changed their tune! Fingers crossed that they completely de-grease the underside of the car and the back - it was coated with the stuff.