ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car Handling - clio 182

172 + 350z
So I have a clio 182 and I have had it about just over 2 months and I like the power and pull etc great fun car.
However now the weather is getting that little bit better I have been testing the car a bit more. I just don't feel 100 % with how the car is handling. It is fine when you are on the gas etc but sometime on corners it feels a little twitchy and also on straights it likes to drag to the camber of the road.
I recently hit two really bad potholes and I blamed that for maybe buckling the alloy so I took it to a garage and they said the wheels were just really unbalanced so sorted that out.
Still not 100% with the car, so any suggestions? I used to have a ford focus which was on coilovers and you the limits of that, but with this been a little more unpredictable it's is hard to get the best driving experience out of the car.
Some things to note is the car has good tyres all round and has been lowered on springs and was like this when I got it so no idea on the drop. Sits a little higher at the rear than the front but once a rear passenger is in it looks equal.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

derv biege barge
I would start by checking shocks and balljoints. If no play in suspension components then renew shocks. My fronts had 86k on them and sounds like yours is behaving. Changed front shocks and all is good. Even though they showed no signs of leaking oil if I press down simultaneously the one shock rises quicker than the other. Lowering springs can lead to reduced damper life so first place I would suggest. Mine wanted to follow road camber esp under braking. My rear shocks are fairly new about 10k koni's. Massive difference with new front shocks. More comfort, road holding and goes nice and straight again braking or accelerating.

Last edited:
If you know how, check the front end for play in ball joints and track rod ends as that's most likely to result in wayward straightline handling.

If nothing is obviously worn get the tracking done and see how it feels then, hopefully miles better and you'll be able to get enjoying the car as much as you would hope. They are by nature very lively. Lots of steering kickback and whole car reacting to bumps quite coarsely with an occasional lateral movement when you don't want it. But they should not feel anything other than pin-sharp and the steering should react immediately to your input if it's all in good order.

However, the most common failure is probably the rear dampers, I'm on my second new set in as many years - that's genuine renault parts! Shockingly poor product to fail so quickly but when they blow their seals they leak oil and gas pressure with a tell-tale knock (and oil on the outside of the damper itself) and this will cause poor ride and some strange/dangerous handling problems.

Without knowing the car beforehand you will probably struggle to tell if something needs replacing, if it just needs the tracking set right, or if its all fine and just the character of the clio's after the more stable-feeling focus.

derv biege barge
Well said jengis. I already had fairly new rears. But still didn't feel pin sharp as you describe, changing the fronts cured it, 86k was too much for my fronts.

BG 182 FF
Steering rack bushes is also another one to consider. I've got the same issue with mine having already replaced top mounts, ball joints, track rods and ends as well as the shocks.

Mine feels very vague and tramlines a bit, even after it recently had the tracking done. Turns out the rack bushes are shot and is causing the rack to move a very small amount.

172 + 350z
Thanks for the replies guys it's appreciated.
The car is fine if the road is smooth but the slightest camber or bump it does seem a bit unpredictable, not to the point of you have no control but just doesn't seem as sharp or controllable as I am lead to believe they should be.

172 + 350z
Just been to check the rear shockers and the back drivers side is leaking a bit so presuming this could be the cause then?

Ph1 T
Mine handles poorly ATM as my tracking/camber is all over the place. I'd get a full allignment done. Mine sometimes feels really slack/loose in corners when giving it some hammer

172 + 350z
Yer think as the car is still fairly new to me I will get all tracked and aligned up. Also will probably change the rear shockers seen there is a bit of leakage.
Anyone recommend some good ones, any idea how much from Renault?

172 + 350z
Any idea on prices? Trying not to chuck a lot of money at the car as I have done that in the past and to be honest they are good cars as standard.
Gone past the low stage, want performance and handling ideally.
Thanks

BG 182 FF
Another thing to bare in mind is if the steering rack mounts are worn the car won't track properly or will go out of line soon after its been set up as mine did.

RS 182
Mines handles like a bag of s**t till i renewed the rear shocks..
The difference they made was unbelievable! It used to be really twitchy at the back end, but the new shocks sorted that right out. £40 a corner off ebay, genuine Renault parts

172 + 350z
Mines handles like a bag of s**t till i renewed the rear shocks..
The difference they made was unbelievable! It used to be really twitchy at the back end, but the new shocks sorted that right out. £40 a corner off ebay, genuine Renault parts

Thanks for that do you have a link?
They need to be the cup spec I take it because they are uprated?

RS 182
Genuine Renault Clio 182 sport Rear Shock Absorbers x2

http://bit.ly/W72Wwb

Dont know if that link will work, but their pretty easy to find on ebay! Those are non-cup shocks, if yours is a cup or has cup packs, then you'll need to buy specific ones i would imagine!

172 + 350z
Thanks for that. Mine is a clio 182 with both cup packs so I would presume the shocks will be different.

172 + 350z
Got a price from a local motor factors for £60 and Renault is £59.90 so with that difference it will have to be genuine parts!

I'm pretty sure new rear dampers and then get the tracking set will see you right. Despite reliability issues, I would still go for genuine cup parts unless you are keen to spend lots and really want a modified car. As sugested, the fronts could probably be worth doing also, but it seems it's your broken rear damper that is most urgent.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Clio-182-Cup-Rear-Shocks-Shock-Absorbers-Pair-/190707672475

Here's where I bought mine from, they arived the next day! Part numbers were correct and identical to trhe ones I bought from a dealer 13 months earlier, so definately not worth going to your local dealer. "Adam" on here is also highly recommended, whoever he is. Rear dampers are just about the simplest job to do on a clio too, almost compensates for the fact they fail so easily!

By then way, I wouldn't spend loads (aything more than £40, say) on a "full alignment" for a standard car, all you can do is alter front toe anyhow. On the other hand, don't go to the cheapest place you can find, go to someone recommended who won't do a half-arsed job or you will be taking it back several times to get them to still have steering wheel pointing straight!

172 + 350z
Thank you for your reply and link to eBay. They do work out cheaper so will go with them!
It says not ideal for car lowered. I understand that from factory they are not designed to be used with different springs but should be ok?

Clio 182
Mines like this atm turns out I have a snapped front spring and leaking rear damper so I have just ordered some coilovers from k-tec

172 + 350z
Well I changed the rear shocks on Saturday and what a difference!
The rear drivers side shock was totally gone, could operate it with your hand and just pull it in and out.
Thank you for all your help, now have a clio that can corner safely and much quicker!

Clio 172 Cup Mondial
if this helps just had my track rod ends replaced, rear shocks and eibach springs and made the car handle like 30 percent better!

Clio 172 Cup Mondial
also take your car to halfords for a free safety check they will check there is no play in anything suspension wise dont have to get the work done by them ovy just do it yourself!