ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car detailing - first attempt with a porter cable (UDM)

1.2 Dynamique billabong
My bro recently bought a ultra detailing machine and this is how he got on the first time of using it on his saxo....
Heya guys, well after my autopia spending spree and the 'apparent' good weather... i thought id get to work on my car!
So here is my cleaning kit collection..
1.jpg

This is what the car looked like before i got to work..
2.jpg

3.jpg

I jetted the car down...
4.jpg

And washed it using the two bucket method with an excessive amount of megs gold class wash to make it nice and foamy :p
5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

I used two wash mits, one for the car, and an older one for the wheels and exhaust... Once the car was washed it was jetted down again and then dried with an absorbant microfibre...
8.jpg

9.jpg

I then assessed the paint and decided it didn't need claying, i have done this recently, and there weren't many surface contaminants.. so i popped the car in the garage and went onto the next step detailing...
Some may think the car is clean.... but under closed inspection you'll see it looks like it's been cleaned with a scourer! the swirls are that bad... that's the main reason for me buying a UDM... :y:
10.jpg

11.jpg

Then the car was masked up ready for detailing...
12.jpg

I decided it was best to do the wheels first before correcting the paintwork... poorboys sealant was applied....
13.jpg

Buffed off with a microfibre.. then megs endurance gel tyre shine was applied..
14.jpg

One tasty looking wheel :p
15.jpg

On with the paint correction...
Well the paint was a state to be honest... first off i started off with the white pad and sonus SFX-1 cutting compound... i started off gently whilst getting used to the UDM.. ended up going over with the SFX-1 about three times to get rid of the majority of the swirls... i then went over with the sonus SFX-2 and then finally with sonus SFX-3, this was then buffed to a high gloss finish before wax was applied... i applied P21's carnauba wax by hand.. i then removed this by hand with a microfibre, before buffing the panel with the UDM again...
18.jpg

Im quite pleased with the results so far... i haven't completely finished the car yet.. when i do i will update the thread with some finished pictures... but it needed it, so im taking my time...
The finish isn't much different in terms of gloss, but now there are very few surface imperfections.. and eventually i'll invest in some blackfire compounds to give a more 'wet look' appearance...
16.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

Finally last thing tonight i thought id mask off half of the door, and work on one half just to give a direct comparison of the results achieved...
Before:
20.jpg

After:
21.jpg

i thought id show you the results of my first attempt at scratch removal..
My rear bumper was heavily scratched.. someone drove into my car...
24.jpg

Here's what it looked like after going over it a few times with SFX-1 on a cutting pad....
25.jpg

It then needed a few more goings over before finishing with SFX-2 and SFX-3, and then waxed with P21's.. I decided to spruce the pad with megs detailer and to spray the work area with detailer to lube the pad more to prevent the paint from burning....
Here's the results.. barely noticeable to be honest :y: was rather impressed!
26.jpg

**Finished** :) rather impressed with the results... the Sonus products do give a slightly wet look appearance, much more noticeable now it's out the garage...
Well, here are the results:
31.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

35.jpg

30.jpg

33.jpg

32.jpg

34.jpg

Cupra
Good results! And all with Sonus polish too. Car looks good as new and that scratch removal on the back is also impressive!

TBH, I did not get on so well with it, the Menzerna stuff was more reqarding to use.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Very nice work there, sooo tempted to buy a propa polisher, how much did the polisher set u bk including the transformer, polish's & pads?

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
The dollars roughly half the pound at the mo i think right, so prob looking around £160-£200 for the whole lot.. not bad, i'll see about throwing one on the christmas list :cool: ... prob just end up with socks though lol

Mondeo TDCI 130
What kind of saxo is it mate? and dont say a citroen one! very good job! its a nice looking motor aswell!!

Saxo :(
What you posting on here for Jim? lol

You ASW ;), when are you going to be on the PS3 again? I fancy taking you down on vegas.

What kind of saxo is it mate? and dont say a citroen one! very good job! its a nice looking motor aswell!!

It's a 1.4 8v, Furio is the model name for it.

SLK 350
Just seen this thread after a link from here.

Great job on the UDM mate, usually I dislike Saxos with a passion but I have to say I like that - looks superb.

How long did it take to go over the car with the UDM?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Great job on that - especially if its your first attempt with a PC!

Saxo itself looks good too - nice and subtle with a good colour combo of the paint and alloys. Looking good!

D.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Skills! Love the paxo, only thing i'd change would be the headlamps..... And Pmsl at the pic of you and the udm, proper pose

Black Gold Trophy
looks excellent, lovely car aswell!
Mine needs a damn good polish, so hard to find enough time to do the whole job though :(