ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can't remove track rod end from track rod

172 ph1
Thought I'd change the track rod end myself and it's been a bit of a nightmare.

To start with the small nut on the vertical axle was so stuck the whole axle+ball was rotating with it, had to file down the sides of that axle so I could hold it still with a spanner to get the nut off. Already 3 hours in.

With that nut off I thought I was in the clear, but now the track rod end won't come off! The locking ring/nut loosened with some effort but I'm not having any luck with the track rod end itself. Leaving the track rod end connected to the upright and using the 13mm spanner on the trackrod itself was not working either.

Should I just try to get it to a garage or keep trying? :S

V70 d5 beast
If you dont wanna use heat, could try wd 40 and leave a while, and just hold the inner track rod with a pair of vice grips,
then get a big pair of grips on the track rod end or spanner if it grips it enough and turn.

but the easy way would be oxysetoline and once its heated up, try undo it and should be ok

RS 182 CUP
oxy acetelene gas torch. as used in the punisher movie when hes pretending to torture the bloke with it but is just heating a steak and stabbing the bloke with an ice lolly!

As above, ideally get the track rod end glowing cherry red and it'll undo a piece of piss.

Your best bet without oxy is to get big vice grips on the track rod and give it some hammer, might crack it off... Hammer the grips that is dont start trying to bend the track rod!

Vice grip teeth damage the track rod tho so its a last resort.

172 ph1
Wow I had no idea it had to be that hot! Thanks.

I'll try and find a torch tomorrow.

Is it normal for it to be this difficult?

you could always try with a heat gun?? might not get it glowing but better than nowt
Will do, thanks :)