ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cant get the car started!

Plugged all the harness back in today, connected battery up and the car wont turn over.

I checked the voltage of the battery, just below 12v so i tried a different one.

Immobiliser light goes out and when i turn they key some times the solenoid on the starter will click and then sometimes it will give a pathetic attempt to turnover! :mad:

But never like you expect when a car is trying to start.

Ive checked all the earths, all the voltages on the starter, alternator etc but still not playing.

Ive cleaned all the relays under the bonnet and tapped the starter motor with a hammer to persuade it but still no different.

any suggestions? really stumped!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Firstly, check the condition of the solenoid wire to the starter... they're prone to poor connections or fraying wire which gives issues like this and make sure all battery connections are good and tight. Secondly, are you 100% sure on the starter itself? Have you tried jumping/bumping the car?

Mink

it doesnt even turn over fully

i measured the voltage on the main starter cable, and give the little wire a wiggle but couldnt really see much due to the s**tty position

Im not sure if it is the starter, but that is my guesses due to the noises its making.

cant bump the car as its in bits, been off the road for over a year. Had it running about 2 months ago i'd say and it was ok then.

I know when its the immobiliser it kind of cranks but wont start where as this is just clicking as if the starter is about to engage but then just doesnt turn over

it sometimes clicks a few times as if its a dead battery but ive tried a few now

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That sounds more like a stuck/seized solenoid to me rather than an imob issue as the imob doesn't stop cranking, it drops injector/ignition/fuel pump signals.

Key in ignition and try to start the car - Red LED on + Solid = key recognised & Imob disabled... car okay to start
Key in ignition and try to start the car - Red LED on + Flashing = key not recognised & Imob armed... car disabled

Try jumping the starter motor with a bit of wire or a screwdriver then... or you could remove it from the vehicle all together and bench test it!

Mick