ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

can't find the problem :(

BG 182 FF
every morning when i start my car and drive off its horrible it feels like i'm not in control of the throttle maybe that's the choke, but after a few secs i get the light comes on in the middle of the dash that looks like a heartbeat monitor in orange and the car hovers around 2k revs so if i switch the car off (if it already hasn't cut out) and restart it and the light goes off then comes on again a bit more down the road, it only does this sometimes and once it's up to temp it goes fine, I've been to a garage and they can't find any problems with it which is even more frustrating. I have been looking online and it seems that it could be a number of problems - Throttle pedal, Throttle body, Coil pack, or Injectors, So i'm just pulling my hair out trying to find the problem, i don't want to change one part and it wasn't that part at fault that's where things start getting expensive so what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

PH2 172
Call Mick at DIAMOND MOTORS 0115 9721501 for advice.Do not start changing components,it is 99% sure that it is a wiring corrosion problem,and you would be wasting your money.

Renault Clio182 bean
I had this issue on mine. I managed to trace it to a wiring fault under the fusebox in the engine bay after much diagnosis. It was putting my car into limp home mode and throwing up a code for the throttle pedal potentiometer circuit and the light was coming on more regular over time (3-4 times a day). Since I sorted the wiring (last month) it hasn't been on once. This may or may not be the same fault as yours, but I have seen a few clios at my work with the same issue in the same place.

BG 182 FF
I took it to a friend who has a diagnostic this morning and i had the same code come up for the pedal again so got a pedal for £20, so i'll get that fitted the guy i took it to said he had a good look at the wires in the engine bay and couldn't find anything.
I'll post to let you guys know if it's cured. Fingers crossed.

PH2 172
I took it to a friend who has a diagnostic this morning and i had the same code come up for the pedal again so got a pedal for £20, so i'll get that fitted the guy i took it to said he had a good look at the wires in the engine bay and couldn't find anything.
I'll post to let you guys know if it's cured. Fingers crossed.

Well it`s not is it?You`ve substituted the pedal and it`s still the same,now you want to know how much a new one is?that won`t cure it either.This is the route you intended to avoid from your first post,what next?the throttle body?Electrical faults wont jump out the fuse box and waive at you.I spent a couple of hours poking about and cleaning in there and couldn`t locate the problem.I advised you to speak with Mick Pittman with good reason.Have you????
He wont expect you to make the 562 mile round trip to get it fixed,but he will tell you where to look.

BG 182 FF
I took it to a friend who has a diagnostic kit not he best one but yeah, it got the code P0120 which is throttle pedal malfunction so we cleared the faults and left it a few days and it happened again going into limp mode ect, so i took it back to him and we got the same code again P0120 so i decided to take a small risk and pay a lad £20 for one on here which is on it's way, so hopefully i might be lucky and that may cure it. So that's what i'm going on at the min with it i took it to a garage and they had a good route around in the engine bay for dodgy wires and couldn't find anything, also with my friends kit he used it to monitor the rpm and throttle and it was telling him it has throttle applied when the pedal wasn't being touched so that's why i think i could possibly be the problem.

Beaten up 182
I had the same problem. I took the pedal out, took the side off, cleaned the carbon strips then put it back together. There is adjustment for idle and I advanced it ever so slightly so it wasn't settling back at the same (worn) position. It was giving the fault every drive and it hasn't done it for about three months now so it looks like that was the culprit. I couldn't see the point in buying another 10 year old pedal that's just as worn as the original but now I'm quite happy that's the fault I'd rather go for a new one.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I agree with Steve that to shouldn't just be chucking parts at it. It's ok saying you've got a throttle pedal fault code, but if you don't know what they fault code actually means, or the conditions that bring on that fault code.

But I strongly disagree with advising people to ring a business asking for free advice. Especially an independent trader.

PH2 172
I had this issue on mine. I managed to trace it to a wiring fault under the fusebox in the engine bay after much diagnosis. It was putting my car into limp home mode and throwing up a code for the throttle pedal potentiometer circuit and the light was coming on more regular over time (3-4 times a day). Since I sorted the wiring (last month) it hasn't been on once. This may or may not be the same fault as yours, but I have seen a few clios at my work with the same issue in the same place.

Hi there Snake,thank you for your valid contribution which hits the nail on the head.I`ve tried to tell this guy not to press the big red button that says DO NOT PRESS,but he cannot resist himself.Perhaps you could have a last go,but I`m going to sit on the sidelines and laugh from now on.

BG 182 FF
update: got the throttle pedal a few days ago fitted it and wiped the codes, been running perfect the fast few days no problems

PH2 172
update: got the throttle pedal a few days ago fitted it and wiped the codes, been running perfect the fast few days no problems

That`s the problem with intermitant problems,they come back again. ;) I`ve been through this,it`s very frustrating.I see you asking for a throttle body now,have you actually checked connections to the throttle body?

BG 182 FF
I took the throttle body off the other day and gave it a good clean and while ibwas there I had a look around but could see anything I've only had the car 5 months so not really too familiar with it and I'm not the most mechanically minded haha prefer driving, wish I had some one closer to have a look at it for me

WANTED Arctic 182

That`s the problem with intermitant problems,they come back again. ;) I`ve been through this,it`s very frustrating.I see you asking for a throttle body now,have you actually checked connections to the throttle body?

Your nagging is ridiculous lol

A second hand throttle body can be had for £20, so it's no major loss if that doesn't cure it. You can just resell it.