ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon or Nikon DSLR????

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
D40 all over...imo

as you are upgrading from a compact...what do you want from your camera?

what will you be taking most photos of?

Can of worms! Whilst the 350D is still an excellent camera, it is now an 'old' model at well over 2 years old, where as the D40 is Nikons latest DSLR, and technology does move at quite a pace. Going from a compact though the Nikon would probably be the easiest to get the hang of, as it has an excellent help system that is also on my D50 - explains every setting you are on just by pressing the ? key.

Most important thing is to handle them both though, the Canons always lose marks in reviews on the handling side of things, where as the Nikon always excels in that area. You really need to get hold of them both and see how comfortable they feel. I always assumed I would get a 350D until I actually held one, I ended up with a D50 because it felt so much nicer and everything was positioned perfectly (for me).

Here is a side-by-side of the tech specs...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...side&cameras=canon_eos350d,nikon_d40&show=all

Last edited:
Pete makes a good point, if you are a 50mm lover like me (and trust me, if you use one you will love it!) it will only work manually on the D40. You have to be a bit more careful with lens selection compared to the 350D.

If I personally was in the market now instead of a year ago I would find it much harder to not go with Canon for that reason alone.

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
Well I have a 350d, and TBH when I compared the Nikon and the Cannon I felt more comfortable using the Cannon Layout. Alot of people say the Nikon is easier to handle, but that just shows its down to personal taste

Biggest downside of Nikons I found is the limited number of aftermarket lenses, from the likes of Sigma, Tamron stc.

The overall quality of both is very good, and it really is down to howe much you have to spend, and which ones feels right in your hands.

Biggest downside of Nikons I found is the limited number of aftermarket lenses, from the likes of Sigma, Tamron stc.

Interesting, I was under the impression that virtually every lens going from the likes of Sigma, Tokina and Tamron have made it to both Canon and Nikon for a long time now, I can't remember any that have been announced but not with a Nikon mount, and can't find any on the Sigma website that is exclusively Canon.

Dyson
D40 all over...imo

as you are upgrading from a compact...what do you want from your camera?

what will you be taking most photos of?

I want to be able to take good close shots and wide open views etc. Also fasting moving objects, cars etc.

I'm swaying towards the Nikon as its cheaper and this will be my 1st DSLR

Last edited:
The D40x is just a pixel increase as far as I know, just marketing, unless you plan on making large print its probably not worth it.

The kit lens should cover your needs to a degree, my 18-55 is fairly wide and can get fairly close up. The choice of future lenses is endless with either system but as said most of Nikons prime lenses won't auto focus on the D40 range.

Saying that, Nikon offers a very good all in one AF-S lens... http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod146.html

Dyson
Right, I'm about to go out and buy a D40 this afternoon from jessops:

D40 Black + AF-S DX 18-55mm Lens
x1 £289.00
dustbin.gif

2GB Ultra II SD Memory Card
x1 £44.99
dustbin.gif

Slingshot 100AW
x1 £19.99
dustbin.gif

Sub Total £393.98

Savings £40.00

TOTAL £353.98

Good deal??

or is it worth the extra for this

x1 £274.00
dustbin.gif

x1 £44.99
dustbin.gif

55-200mm f/4-5.6 AFS G (Black)
x1 £119.99
dustbin.gif

Sub Total £543.98

Savings £105.00

TOTAL £438.98

TeZ

Non RS : (
i would get a 17-70mm with the stander lens mate , i love my Sigma 17-70 macro and wide angle landscapes its great much more versitile than the 55-200.

But yes D40 or X

Golf GTI 1.8T
Right, I'm about to go out and buy a D40 this afternoon from jessops:

x1 £274.00
dustbin.gif

x1 £44.99
dustbin.gif

55-200mm f/4-5.6 AFS G (Black)
x1 £119.99
dustbin.gif

Sub Total £543.98

Savings £105.00

TOTAL £438.98

Mug - £15 off Play for the Extreme III - Here

and I don't know anything about Nikon lens prices, but search around for prices on that 55-200 (plus read reviews on it)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Well I have a 350d, and TBH when I compared the Nikon and the Cannon I felt more comfortable using the Cannon Layout. Alot of people say the Nikon is easier to handle, but that just shows its down to personal taste

The overall quality of both is very good, and it really is down to howe much you have to spend, and which ones feels right in your hands.

rubbish all lens makers that make lenses for cannon also make them for the nikon, every model they make for the cannon make the nikon equiv!!!

but on top of that nikon also has prob the best lens maker in the world producing lenses for them (karl zeiss) so hush your mouth with your cannon fan boy rubbish lol...

i use nikon day in day out, personal dslr is a nikon d2x and i use anything from my camera to things like hassleblad digi medium formats... also use cannons however thing i dont like about the baseline cannons is the build quality they feel plasticy and fragile, i have dropped my old d70 down stairs, and dropped my d2x and neither broke, dropped a 350 on to grass and its case split in half lol, (i dont make a habit of dropping cameras) another thing i prefer with nikons is the fact you have a wheel either side of the shutter release, front is aperture and rear is shutter speed adjustment, on most cannons you have one which controlls both and you have to piss around pushing a button to adjust it, on nikons i can adjust on the fly using the viewfinder lightmeter plus one other pet hate is cannon using dumb ass abrieviations for shutter priority etc, nikon is simple, s,a,m,p (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual, pre program or auto mode) none of this tv, av bullshit lol

Abarth Grande Punto
go for the olympus e410 or if can stretch to it the e510. You wont regret it! Olympus also doing £100 cashback on e510 till end of year! kit lenses on canon are s**t and nikon is limited and neither have much needed IS!

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
go for the olympus e410 or if can stretch to it the e510. You wont regret it! Olympus also doing £100 cashback on e510 till end of year! kit lenses on canon are s**t and nikon is limited and neither have much needed IS!

Agreed that the kit lens on the canon/nikon are pony compared to the Oly, but the cost and availabilty of lenses for the Oly is a feckin joke!
Hence me trading my e400 in for a 400d

Abarth Grande Punto
The only thing that annoys me about Cannon and Nikon is that the lower range offers no Image Stabilization in the body so you end up paying stupid prices to get it in the lenses!

Monaro VXR
Have you considered a 400D? Slight upgrade to the 350D and you can get them with lens for under £400 And there is currently a £50 cashback offer on them too.

You can pick up the 400D for £340 ish with the 18 - 55mm. Worth considering. I personally love my 400D tried my uncles D40 out and I preferred my Canon.

Then just get a sigma 70 - 300 for your telephoto they are alright for the money depends how much you want to spend though. Buying lenses thats the bugger I usually end up looking at the cheaper ones then buying a more mid range version at twice the cost without thinking about it.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Have you considered a 400D? Slight upgrade to the 350D and you can get them with lens for under £400 And there is currently a £50 cashback offer on them too.

You can pick up the 400D for £340 ish with the 18 - 55mm. Worth considering. I personally love my 400D tried my uncles D40 out and I preferred my Canon.

Then just get a sigma 70 - 300 for your telephoto they are alright for the money depends how much you want to spend though. Buying lenses thats the bugger I usually end up looking at the cheaper ones then buying a more mid range version at twice the cost without thinking about it.

Where can you get it for £340? or are you including the £50 cashback in that price?

Also you can just get the Nikon d40 for less than £300 and there is very little difference between them iirc. *waits for the canon fanboys*

Last edited:
yes thats including cash back

400d + kit lense
canon 50mm f1.8
sigma 70-300apo

is all you need to cover all the bases at first tbh

Mr2 Roadster
As someone who spent over £10k on camera bodies this year I would side with Canon and look at the 400D.

But this isn't my choice and if I were you I wouldn't listen to the this is better than that slagging match.

Get yourself down to a friendly shop and play with the cameras, as the best shots you will take will not be because one camera is X amount better than the other, it will be because you feel comfortable using one more than the other.

As someone who spent over £10k on camera bodies this year I would side with Canon and look at the 400D.

But this isn't my choice and if I were you I wouldn't listen to the this is better than that slagging match.

Get yourself down to a friendly shop and play with the cameras, as the best shots you will take will not be because one camera is X amount better than the other, it will be because you feel comfortable using one more than the other.

i agree with that 120% i went canon because i used a canon p&s so i was familiar with the os it uses etc

Megane Mk4
I have a D40 Black and the AF-S DX 18-55mm Lens, paid £339 for it, because I got it a couple of months ago, got the £60 cashback cheque with it too :approve:
Also got a Sigma 70mm to 300mm telescopic/macro lens for £99, just bought a Nikkor 50mm lens today for it too for £75.

Swear by it from images I've had from it, never had a play with a cannon though which, is my only downfall tbh :eek:
But as already been said, give each a play and see which feels better for you before buying.. Both camera's seem to have enough lenses for anyones variety, depends on what your budget is and what your wanting.

Astra coupe

i agree fully. Most people will say X is better than Y because thats what they like. I held the 400d and hated it yet loved the nikon so obviously went against peoples suggestions

B

Brown.

these threads are as bad and repetaive as the 'rs or ctr' threads lol