ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon 550D already!

Just 9 months after the 500D, they come along with the 550D.... franky I don't really see it having any major advantages... when looking at entry/mid level cameras.... is 18mp going a little bit too far? It also has better video, but TBH, I still think video is more of a fun gimmick than anything useable day to day.

Oh and the display is 1 million pixels rather than 920,000-pixel resolution of the 500D.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/digitalcameras/0,39029429,49304945,00.htm

Apparantly its going to sit between the 500D and 7D...

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/CanonEOS550D/

And just to help out, it uses yet another different battery from the 500D!

Last edited:
  Cupra
It is only a bit more than the 500D, and there are rumours of another XXD being announced this month too.

Looks like a nifty bit of kit though.

Think it will be quite pricey though, especially if its more then the 500D, I thought 15MP was overkill in mine!

Cupra
RRP is only €50 more than the 500D here. Not enough of a price difference to make it a stop gap between the 500 & 7 IMHO.

Interesting, it's more of a replacement 500D I guess, but it does not do much that the 500D does not TBH.

I imagine the 500D will phase out and Canon will introduce a replacement for the 1000D.

Amazing how short lived bodies are!

A new Nikon body that sits above the D3000/D5000 will do me nicely. AF and one of those swivelly screens! Sorted.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
Sometimes when the next model comes out you're kicking yourself, but I must admit that the differences between my 500D and the 550D look marginal to me. The video frame rates are up (one of the reasons why I bought the 500D), but 720p at 30fps produces monster videos as it is, let alone running at 1080p, so higher rates aren't likely something I'd use.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Must be a replacement for the 50d due soon then, that's one of the oldest models now, so a 60d to sit between the 550d and the 7d?

A red missile
That was quick, anywhoo, spend your money on glass not bodies ;)!

This TBH, i'm sticking with the 30D, any future spendages will be on lenses unless the 30 dies. f**k buying a new body every year/18 months because Canon/N**on are playing pissing games again.