ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon EOS-M

So Canon is finally joining the mirrorless party - all be it a bit late!

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/digitalcame...cro-four-thirds-uses-old-lenses-too-50008686/

Bit on the fence about this one. Yes it is all metal, can use any lens (with an adaptor) and has the same sensor as the 650D which should mean excellent IQ.

Trouble is, there is nothing that exciting about it IMO. Sony has been doing big sensor/mirrorless combo for a while now. Panasonic/Olympus have established Micro four thirds cameras which share a lot of similarities with the EOS-M, and although they have smaller sensors, the IQ is pretty damn good.

No doubt the brand will sell it well, but I was expecting something better I guess. Screen is fixed and from what I have seen, focus is slower than the current gen of panasonic cameras. No on board flash - although there is one in the box, you cant have external viewfinder and flash attached at same time. Manual controls are all controlled via the touch screen - not sure this will appeal to the more enthusiast type of photographer.

Still, it does look nice - but think it could have been better.

its only their entry level model, they will probably make a high end one.

Bit late to the party yourself mate this was announced months ago ;)

Canon are a bit late to the party, sold all my Canon DSLR kit a year ago for m43! Shame as this would have been quite tempting. The 22mm f/2.0 looks half decent and very compact. Better than anything Sony seems to offer and no slouch compared with my 20mm f/1.7 be it a little wider.

Can't really comment, only have a GF3 and 20mm and it sure as hell can't compare with a 40D + 70-200L. Did manage to snap the Olympic road racers but this was on a wide lens, much harder to miss focus.

I think the appeal to it is exactly what you've listed - use your eos lenses on it

I'm getting one - it's a no brainer

I need something wide for pit shots - a 28mm 1.8 is nearly £400 now and the 16-35mm f2.5 is £1k
For £800 you can buy an Eos-M with the 24mm f2 pancake lens on which is superb - and you get the adaptor bundled in so I can use my 70-200 2.8 for a bit of street photography if the mood grabs me

It means I can have 7D + 70/200 on one shoulder for track shots and eos-m with 24mm f2 on the other shoulder for pit shots and close up car shots

Currys currently have a discount code to get the eos-m for under 800 with 20mm an adaptor for ef-s lenses.

Reviews are not very favourable though.

At that price its going up against far better models like the Sony NEX 5R or even 6! Its only Canons 'entry' level effort and it needs to be priced as such in the £300-400 category along with the other entry level mirrorless models.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I know they are imports but DigitalRev have it with the 20mm and adapter for just over £500.