ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can you get Uprated Alternators

Following on from my other post about my alternator being on the way out, I thought Id start a separate thread so as not to confuse matters lol

Basically, I might be sorting a sound system at some point (when Im rich...) so I think itd be a good idea to uprate the alternator to avoid straining a standard one.

What amps does a normal valver alternator put out? Are there any others that will fit but put out more? Is it dangerous to get one that puts out more than standard? (where does the extra power go? Or is that a really silly question?? LoL)

Any help muchos appreciated :)

Thank yoooooou!

Lionel Richie

ive got 4 x ren vel satis alternators (big ass car)

ill check the output of one for you

(oh theyre all NEW, you can have one for £50)

Right - rang AutoElectrical in Harlow/North Wield a little while ago, having got their number off talkaudio.com (01992 524548)

They can rebuild alternators to give more power in the original housing.

Standard alternator for valvers pump out 70 amps and appear to be £74.50 + £18.29 VAT from GSF (plus a £30 surcharge until you return your old knackered one) or an original Renault part is about £90 + VAT. (thanks j3ned! :) )

This place in harlow said they would supply either a 100amp one for £125 + VAT or a 140amp one for £170 + VAT.

Hmmm.. decisions, decisions...

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

if you really want to get technical, ring prestolite and theyll custom build one for you!!

Polo + Micra

Quote: Originally posted by White16valver on 01 September 2005
That just holds power - it doesnt produce it! If you arent producing enough power then a capacitor will do bugger all lol

it will do something;)

did you find out the current rating after fred???

Polo + Micra

Quote: Originally posted by McBunny on 02 September 2005
a cap is just covering up a flaw in the electrical system namely the alternator

the something a cap would do is make it worse;)

big 3 and batt is the best start

yes they can even make it worse

a battery does fook all when the car is running as power comes direct from the alternator unless at idle

2005 Impreza WRX STI

a capacitor will charge off the alternator giving power when needed! is that not the extra power needed for the ice?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by McBunny on 03 September 2005

a battery does fook all when the car is running as power comes direct from the alternator unless at idle
I thought the injectors ran off the battery? and thats why my car runs like sh*te and trys to cut out when its had a flat battery :(

Polo + Micra

Quote: Originally posted by McBunny on 03 September 2005

what happens if your ice pulls the voltage down to say 12.6v?

also i believe it may also keep the field magnet going in the alt but that is probably wrong

it wont pull the voltage down if there is enough current ;)

the battery is only used at a very low idle and when the alternator cant produse enough current

If you have an alternator that can produce 120 amps of current (max) and the the total current demand from the electrical accessories (including the battery) is only 20 amps, the alternator will only produce the necessary current (20 amps) to maintain the target voltage (which is determined by the alternators internal voltage regulator). Remember that the alternator monitors the electrical systems voltage. If the voltage starts to fall below the target voltage (approximately 13.8 volts depending on the alternators design), the alternator produces more current to keep the voltage up. When the demand for current is low, the full current capacity of the alternator is not used/produced (a 120 amp alternator does not continuously produce 120 amps unless there is a sufficient current draw).

Dimming lights:
When you play your system at very high volumes and the lights on your vehicle dim slightly, it generally means that your alternator can not supply enough current for all of your electrical accessories (including your amplifiers). If you play a long bass note/tone and the lights get dim and stay dim until the note is over, your alternator clearly can not keep up with the current demand. If, on a long bass note, the lights dim just for a fraction of a second but return to their original brightness while the note/tone is still playing, the alternators regulator may just be a little slow in reacting to the voltage drop. Since the lights return to their original brightness during the bass note, the alternator is able to supply the current needed by your power your amplifiers and other electrical accessories.

Polo + Micra

voltdrop occurs when you pull current that cannot be stopped

as you stay current is drawn not given

the problem is that alternators cannot produce full current at low rpm