ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cams, Cams, Cams

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Cat Cam 551's
Why do people go for the 422's over the 551's?
551's have too much lift? meaning piston/valve contact?

[FONT=&quot]partnr.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]duration[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]duration[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]maximum lift[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]lift at TDC[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]parts[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]application[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][data link][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][0.1mm+cl][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][1.0mm+cl][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][cl=0][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][cl=0][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][-][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](TURBO)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5502428[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]272 / 256°[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]236 / 219°[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11.30 / 10.25mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]0.55 / 1.55mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]O.E.M.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HYDR: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]sport[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5502421[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]276 / 268°[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]240 / 231°[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11.25 / 10.25mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]0.65 / 2.25mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HYDR: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]sport[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5502420[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]269 / 256°[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]231 / 219°[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11.25 / 10.25mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]0.40 / 1.55mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HYDR: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]F.I.A.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5502422[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]284 / 276°[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]247 / 239°[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11.25 / 11.25mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3.40 / 2.85mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]custom[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HYDR: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]rally & cross[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5502423[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]292 / 284°[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]255 / 247°[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11.25 / 11.25mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3.95 / 3.40mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HYDR: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]rally & race[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5502551[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]288 / 288°[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]251 / 251°[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11.45 / 11.45mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3.35 / 3.35mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]MECH: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]rally & race[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5502552[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]295 / 295°[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]259 / 259°[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11.95 / 11.95mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3.85 / 3.85mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5502553[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]304 / 304°[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]267 / 267°[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12.45 / 12.45mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4.40 / 4.40mm[/FONT]

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Is it for a track car? The 551's will be a fair bit more aggressive but you'll struggle with idling problems which for an everyday car would become annoying.

We've got a club discount on the 422's at the moment btw.. if you decide to go for the 551's with the required PAC-E99862 springs send me a pm and I'll work out a good price for you.

ITB'd MK1
Well, I've not used these ones due to their limited suitability (be pointless fitting them if you're not going to rev the engine, the peak power would be above the limiter) BUT, every set of cams I have fitted that are spec'd as for solids have a different profile to those which are for hydraulics (comparing same/similar lift and duration)

Ph2 1.6 16v
Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangent...but I hate revving at the top end at any point it feels like im killing the car.

Are there cams out there which focus on the lower rev ranges where torque could be increased?

Ph2 1.6 16v
So aftermarket cams only assist in increasing power at the top end of the rev range is what your saying?

RS RIP
Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangent...but I hate revving at the top end at any point it feels like im killing the car.

Are there cams out there which focus on the lower rev ranges where torque could be increased?

Yes there are mate. For example the "Group N" cams. they are less topend but more midrange. (used for Group N Rally racing). I believe Renault Sport (Dieppe) sell only an intake cam for this Rally classification, the exhaust cam is left alone.

Mk2 172

Dont ever buy a renaultsport clio then lol. Revving it is where the fun is!! :)

Ph1

Im running Pipers re-grinds with other mods and it pulls very well indeed from really low down without having to rev the tits off it thats why i was asking about Freds 240bhp motor and what it was like lol - Peak powers not too hot on paper compared to most but the torques very good

IMO tho theres better and easy ways of getting power than the cam route. All depends what you want tho

ITB'd MK1
would cat cams 422's run fine on standard inlet as long as its been mapped??? and are they better than the 428's???

yes, seen good results on the standard inlet (albeit reworked). You cant use them with standard pistons though, you need enlarged cut-outs in the piston crown due to the extra lift at TDC, and they are more suitable to higher compression anyway really.

Better is difficult to quantify, 428s and 421s are more suited to stock internals, 428s are as wild as you can run on stock management, 422s will push peak power up the revs, but with the right other parts and setup will give more power overall. It's far from being as straightforward as "better"

Clio Sport 172 ph1
CatCams 421 / 182 exhaust manifold / few other mods
93173f2c6e8f152e.jpg

Can't complain for low down torque and power :) I eat Cupra 183BHP for breakfast :) But I was certainly counting for a better top end power output (looks like another calibration is needed)

Clio Sport 172 ph1
I forgot to say it was made at 5 gear (maby thats why its nasty, slower more accurate) in 4th it spin up to fast and RR was interrupter at about 4k kick