ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cambelt done but a dodgy noise

phase 1 172
just collected my phquick from havin its cambelt and aux belt done but its still got a funny whinning noise to it! i presumed getting these done wud hav stopped it but its still very present (sounds like a electric car) any ideas wot it cud be?

any replies appreciated

rich

Mondeo TDCI 130
ive seen your car aswell! hmmm, so it had the funny noise when it went in to the garage? and this noise has started since you had the car?

Liquid 182
If its happened just after its had the cambelt done i'd be a little worried. Does it change to a higher note as you rev the car? The belt could be rubbing on covers or housings.

phase 1 172
no the noise started 2 days ago, its only done 30k buts its a 2000 so new the cambelt was due so presumed it was that, picked it up 2day and its still there so god no`s wot it is

the noise increases wiv revs not wheel rotation

hello Dr and SB, didnt realise there so many people on here round my way

Last edited:
  phase 1 172
thats wot i was affraid bout, guess i`l hav 2 go bak and get it checked, anyfin else it cud be?

R26r R26
I have just had my cam/aux belt done by Mark Fish and mine sounds different to what it did before, but he said this is nothing to worry about.He is such a perfectionist that if this was not normal he wouldnt say it.

phase 1 172
does urs whine zippy, the only fing i`m worries about is it was makin the noise before it went in so i feel as if somefin else is gonna break!

Mondeo TDCI 130
it sounds like ti could possibly be a auxiliary tensioner! i take it they have replaced the cambelt tensioners and pulleys, not just the belt?

phase 1 172
yeah paid 4 the full kit, no intention of doin the other stuff further down the line so the full monty was done! not sure where to take it as most places round my way are dodgy and will start comin up wiv boll***s reasons just lookin 4 money!

R26r R26
Mine was squealing like a pig when I took it in.Mark wont change the cambelt and not replace everything else at the same time.The aux belt and tensioners are just as important as the cambelt because if it goes 99 times out of 100 it finds its way into the cambelt and your fooked.Mine is noisy(sounds like a bearing sort of sound)but you only hear it on idle.Like I said if it was not right Mark would have not let me drive it away.

phase 1 172
im tryin 2 fink wheres nearest 2 me that i can trust, is yozza near stafford way or hav i heard wrong?

williams 2
could be a couple of things, belt could be too tight causing it to whine or a pully has failed. If it was a genuine reno kit then it will be covered under parts warranty if a proper ltd garage fitted it. Mine went a while back wen i had my 172, sounded like a super charger lol. That turned out to be aux belt tensioner!

phase 1 172
cheers monaco, thats exactly wot mine sounds like one seven two, under acceleration it sounds like an slr. in that case i`l take it back today as i`m peed that a cambelt and aux kit was fitted and not just belts!

I had similar, it was the power steering pump, but it got worse when going round corners obviously. Take it yours does not do this.

Ex Ph-Quick
rich does it just make noise when it's in gear?

Though £82 for a AUX belt change was to good to be true =(

Cup'd Monaco 172
I have a whine at the moment and think it could be the alternator or tensioners.

It changes with revs, sounds like the new mini's just much louder.

Mines having its 72k service in a few weeks, so waiting tell then, because it might dissapear if it turns out to be a tensioner.

I have done just over 1k since the whine and its not got any worse.

Mine started after a long drive (4hours) up the M1 in the pouring rain a couple of weeks ago. Wonder if the water has affected it somehow.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Mate of mine had his aux belt replaced on his 172 and there was a terrible noise. Had a look and compared to mine the aux belt tensioner was at a completely different angle.

The aux belt tensioner was done up too tight, making the belt squeal. Unless you've had a failure of a pulley, the fact you've just had the work done might mean this is your problem too.

phase 1 172

no on the way home i dropped the clutch a revved while coastin and the whine rose wiv revs, im gutted if its the aux tensioner as i`ve just spent 400quid on cambelt kit and a new aux belt so its gonna be at least another 200 at least! i`m wounded but cheers 4 the responses fellas

no on the way home i dropped the clutch a revved while coastin and the whine rose wiv revs, im gutted if its the aux tensioner as i`ve just spent 400quid on cambelt kit and a new aux belt so its gonna be at least another 200 at least! i`m wounded but cheers 4 the responses fellas
Don't worry too much yet mate, if the tensioner is just overtightened not seized (if the problem is the tensioner of course) it'll be fine once it's loosened off and done up properly.

phase 1 172
if it was overtightened wudnt the problem hav been rectified wen id had the aux belt changed yesterday (presuming the tensioning belt has to be removed wen changin the aux belt as im no mechanice)

i`m suprised the garage didnt pick up on it as its more business and sterling in there pockets

Cup'd Monaco 172
It might be the alternator, but I'd just take it back and get them to daignose it, if its any of the parts that they have supposed to have changed, then they should fix it for free.

if it was overtightened wudnt the problem hav been rectified wen id had the aux belt changed yesterday (presuming the tensioning belt has to be removed wen changin the aux belt as im no mechanice)

i`m suprised the garage didnt pick up on it as its more business and sterling in there pockets

Ah sorry didn't notice this had been going on before and after the work.

You'd hope they'd have noticed the noise!

The tensioners do seem to seize up and make a racket, but it could be anything else on the belt too. Power steering pump would probably change when you steer so not likely, Air Con would likely change when you switched that on and off, Alternator is possible, so is the water pump, and the tensioner on the aux belt.

You can get your head close enough to the alternator to try and hear if it's that, it's at the top on the front of the driver's side of the engine.

If it's still the original tensioner, probably the most likely as the other things don't turn up on here often but tensioners seem to.

phase 1 172
cheers gr172, im tempted to take a trip up 2nite as im finkin its the aux belt tensioner, how much am i lookin at im guessin its as big a job as the cambelt itself i not scared of the part cost its the labour im shi@#ing it about

The timing on Dialogys for replacing a tensioner is 2.7 hours and an extra 0.1 for the roller pulley.

My local Renault garage charge £90 an hour labour so for me that would be £252 labour plus the £87.50 if I remember right that the bloke on ebay sells the kit for. I can't remember exactly but I think the kit is more expensive from Renault by quite a bit so that is a decent looking price.

It's quite an involved job, the front bumper has to come off, for example.

phase 1 172
BO**OCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! after spending that much finkin it wud hav solved the noise they cud hav added another £40 for parts they cud hav done it while they were there, god knows how they didnt notice the noise was still there wen they started up

i`m proper peed now

Found the receipt - ready for this?

8200226493 Alt. Belt £16.97
8200429703 Tensioner £140.07
8200065479 Tensioner £49.83 (The roller pulley)

These prices have to have VAT added too!

That ebay bloke is offering a very very good deal.

edit: what a ferkin rip off no wonder they give me trade discount now!

BO**OCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! after spending that much finkin it wud hav solved the noise they cud hav added another £40 for parts they cud hav done it while they were there, god knows how they didnt notice the noise was still there wen they started up

i`m proper peed now

If I was you I'd have a go at them for this and try and get the labour cost dropped. They really should have noticed and done something about this and it's a good idea to replace tensioners anyway, they ought to have mentioned that to you. Even just the fact that it takes so long to get into the side of the engine, they ought to have asked if you wanted the other bits while they were in there.

And if you mentioned the noise when it went in, they should be doing the labour for free. They haven't completed the job you've paid for.

edit:The ebay kit has lost the buy it now option because someone's bid, but he puts another kit up every week or so.

Last edited:
  Audi TT 225
^^ Jesus was that from renault? I got charged £19.50 for the aux belt, same part number too.. and then charged vat on top!

^^ Jesus was that from renault? I got charged £19.50 for the aux belt, same part number too.. and then charged vat on top!

Yep. Add it all up and the ebay seller - who I've now seen has 10 "buy it now" tensioners for £60 - is probably able to sell hundreds of the kits.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Clio-...hZ010QQcategoryZ10410QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

£19.50 plus VAT? That's random. I got these done in May. Maybe the prices have taken a hike.

I must say that despite appearances I'm not the ebay seller and I don't know him! :D Just so cheap compared to Renault.

Last edited:
  S1RST/205GTI
Mine had a funny whistling noise so took it back and had the aux belt and tensioner changed (under warranty) and its right now.Car has 21k on.:)

Audi TT 225
had that bill 2 months ago...
Just looked on K-tech the cam belt kit was £109.00 exc VAT and £128.08 inc VAT... I was charged £154.49 exc VAT making it £181.52 inc VAT WTF???

Part number: 7701476674

had that bill 2 months ago...
Just looked on K-tech the cam belt kit was £109.00 exc VAT and £128.08 inc VAT... I was charged £154.49 exc VAT making it £181.52 inc VAT WTF???

Part number: 7701476674
I paid £131.48 before VAT!

Was 7701476675; it depends on the age of your engine but I doubt the prices will be that different...

Maybe all the prices have gone up.