ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Calling all Network Experts

Ex Ph-Quick
Can anyone answer this question for me please.

Setup

Server -Cat 6- Gigabit Switch -Cat 6- Xbox 360

ADSL modem - Gigabit Switch -Cat 6- Xbox 360/Server

If the Xbox is streaming video off the server while connect to xbox live will the whole transfer be busted down to 10/100 or will the video be at 100/1000 and the xbox live connection be at 10/100?

thanks in advanced

Eski

Better than yours. C*nt.
Incorrect. A network switch would allow traffic to the server at 1Gb, however the traffic to the ADSL router would be limited to 100Mb. This is only affected if the server is connected to a port on the ADSL router which will be 100Mb.

Incorrect. A network switch would allow traffic to the server at 1Gb, however the traffic to the ADSL router would be limited to 100Mb. This is only affected if the server is connected to a port on the ADSL router which will be 100Mb.

Correct.

Ex Ph-Quick
so if the xbox is accessing the net on the ADSL router and streaming a film off the server the film will be 1000mbps and the net connection 100mbps down the same wire??

Or the net will go to the switch at 100mbps and both film and net will go to the xbox at 1000mbps?

or net to the switch 100mbps, film to the switch at 1000mbps then both to xbox at 100mbps?

Last edited:
so if the xbox is accessing the net on the ADSL router and streaming a film off the server the film will be 1000mbps and the net connection 100mbps down the same wire??

Well, it'll be 1000Mbit to the server (if both the xbox and the server are gigabit?), 100Mb to the router, then whatever you internet connection is out of the router (up to 8Mb probably).

Infact, it's all irrelavant. The Xbox comes with a 10/100 ethernet port, so it'll be 100Mb to the server and 100Mb to the router. You'll then be down to "up to 8Mb" when it hits the other side of the router (internet). :p

The Gigabit switch is useless, as you've only got 10/100 devices plugged into it (well, maybe the server is Gigabit, but nothing else is...)

Clio 172 Cup
Talking very basically, The speed you transmit data will only go as fast as what the lowest speed port will allow,

Regardless of the speed of the router most basic routers do not have the cache to cope with a differencial in speeds nor is it needed. You can quite Happily steam video with a 10mb connection provided your netowrkk is setup correctly.

Oh the speed will only transmit at 100mb as the 360 only have a 10/100mb port. But you will be fine streaming with that

Last edited:
  Ex Ph-Quick
na xbox is 100/1000 so in theory the xbox could communicate with te server at 1000mbps?

The question still remains if the xbox is accessing the internet at the same time as streaming a film off the server how fast will the xbox communicate with the server?

The question still remains if the xbox is accessing the internet at the same time as streaming a film off the server how fast will the xbox communicate with the server?

1000Mb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't matter what other devices are doing :p

(Providing the xbox is Gigabit..)

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Infact, it's all irrelavant. The Xbox comes with a 10/100 ethernet port, so it'll be 100Mb to the server and 100Mb to the router. You'll then be down to "up to 8Mb" when it hits the other side of the router (internet). :p

The Gigabit switch is useless, as you've only got 10/100 devices plugged into it (well, maybe the server is Gigabit, but nothing else is...)

Which is why I put what I put;)

na xbox is 100/1000 so in theory the xbox could communicate with te server at 1000mbps?

Is it?

You will still get the 100mbps from the server and whatever your internet speed is.

Ex Ph-Quick
coolio.

Cheers for your help DAZ,

Last one just to get it clear in my mind.

xbox downloading content from xbox live.

xbox streaming film off server

Film and content come down the wire

Film at 1000mbps and content 1000mbps(limited to net connection so like 8mbps)?

Well, I'm sure that network card on the 360 is 10/100 - so, you're not getting Gigabit anywhere ;)

You don't need 100Mb anyway to stream DVD quality stuff, so not sure why it matters? :p

Last edited:
  Ex Ph-Quick
remove xbox and replace with gigabit server 2.

same question.

p.s seems every website i check says something differnet about the card in the xbox but i recon you might be right with the 10/100 but would still like to know the answer.

Cheers

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Well, I'm sure that network card on the 360 is 10/100 - so, you're not getting Gigabit anywhere ;)

You don't need 100Mb anyway to stream DVD quality stuff, so not sure why it matters? :p

I have to say I also thought it was 10/100. You should be able to download from live and watch a film fine with that setup.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

same question.

p.s seems every website i check says something differnet about the card in the xbox but i recon you might be right with the 10/100 but would still like to know the answer.

Cheers

Server1 - switch - server2 will run at a gigabit if its all gigabit equipment

Ex Ph-Quick

same question.

Cheers

Sorry Realnumber1 even if one is downloading from the net at the same time?

Clio 172 Cup
Just switched mine on and checked the router, the maximum tranmissable speed from my 360 is 100mb full duplex, The 360 i have is relativly new (HDMI port) so unless its changed they are 10/100.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

Depending how good your switch is then will still be 1000 although if its a cheap one then the 10/100 adsl modem or 360 may bring the rest of the network to that speed.
You wont really notice much difference unless your constantly transferring very large amounts of data from one to the other anyway

Better than yours. C*nt.

Depending how good your switch is then will still be 1000 although if its a cheap one then the 10/100 adsl modem or 360 may bring the rest of the network to that speed.
You wont really notice much difference unless your constantly transferring very large amounts of data from one to the other anyway

Even a cheap switch will run the port at Gb, and the data will flow at Gb. This is purely a measure of the traffic that the devices/interfaces can handle - so if one device on a GbE network is accessing 10 resources also attached to the GbE network, the maximum it will ever get is GbE. If one of those devices is set to 100Mb, it still gets GbE to the other devices.

The only area this gets a little more patchy is the use of a 'hub' or repeater instead of a switching device.

However, as has been pointed out (and I completely missed this minor detail the first time, answering the question rather than the scenario) the 360 only has a 10/100 NIC - a Broadcom if I remember rightly - so you only get 100Mb to it.