ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying the right parts for track use.

55AMG Exige350 Sport
Hi
I've just signed up as I've purchased my first Clio 182 mainly for a bit of weekend fun and a few trackdays per year. I've owned a number of 205gti's in the past in various specs so I'm not completely new to french.
I'm planning a shopping list to get the car to a bit better spec for the track use but don't want to go mad straight away and overspend where not required nor do I want to make it less appealing to use on the road for a blast at the weekend (been there before) , here is a list of my thoughts on what I'm planning any suggestions are welcomed.

Tyres ( currently budget) R888 or Nankang NS2r if I stay with the 16" standard rims or are a set of 15" Rims with 205/195 50 15's just as good. I actually have a set of R888's and Toyo R1r's in 15" hence the question. Anyone know what the standard wheel offset is?

Oil change to say 10w50 Fully synth Millers or Silkolene, is this grade ok in the Fr4?

Brakes- the front discs look pretty bad, so a pair of drilled discs with say Ds2500 pads, can bigger discs be fitted or is it not worth it on such a light small car?

That was going to be it until I've done the first track day and then I'll see what i think, have I missed anything else worth doing initially?
My clutch is pretty high so I'm not sure how long that will last so maybe looking for one of those soon..

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Welcome to ClioSport, Mark!

New tyres are always a good place to start. I'd move down to a 15" wheel too, makes a big difference.

Engine oil wise, I run Fuchs Titan Race oil in mine, 5W-40 (used to be Silkolene).

I wouldn't bother with drilled discs tbh, can be prone to cracking. I'd go for some Brembo High Carbon jobbies, paired with Ferodo DS2500's, braided lines and some good quality brake fluid. See @George@RTR_Parts on here and he'll sort you out with all of that for a very decent price. http://www.cliosport.net/forums/road-track-race-parts.147/

I've just ordered an OEM Valeo clutch kit too, from ECP, £91, use code TWEET5 for a 5% discount. http://www.eurocarparts.com/mobile/...d6cf88f44f65dc1fc6f02d72f207dde6c17518&000069

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
D1CKY is selling a nearly new Valeo clutch kit here: http://www.cliosport.net/threads/oem-valeo-clutch-pressure-plate-done-less-than-50-miles-£80.771100/ and is asking £80 for it. Bit cheaper than ECP.

George is a great guy, you won't wanna get your brakes elsewhere after you use him! Next day delivery too!

The most common 15" wheels people on here will use are Phase 1 172 wheels, called F1's, but they can be prone to buckling, can be picked up fairly cheap though. Other people use Team Dynamics Pro Race wheels, Speedline 2118's (originally a gravel wheel - so very strong), and in my case, Speedline Williams wheels from the Mk1 Clio Williams.

55AMG Exige350 Sport
Welcome. Any pics of your previous 205's?
Here's a few , thanks for the interest.
I've been drifting for the last few years though so between me and the wife (who is a pro) we've had quite a few Jap cars..

Attachments

• XSP_0613.jpg
    XSP_0613.jpg
    712 KB · Views: 73
  • Image062.jpg
    Image062.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1535.JPG
    IMG_1535.JPG
    322.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 205GTI-ORANGE--9.jpg
    205GTI-ORANGE--9.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 205GTI-ORANGE--18.jpg
    205GTI-ORANGE--18.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 66
  55AMG Exige350 Sport
Thanks for the clutch link Nyall, I had seen that but I think I'll hang on until it is showing signs of slipping. It would'nt be the first time I've bought stuff in advance and then not needed it for another 6 months.
Wheels and brakes will have to come first...

D1CKY is selling a nearly new Valeo clutch kit here: http://www.cliosport.net/threads/oem-valeo-clutch-pressure-plate-done-less-than-50-miles-£80.771100/ and is asking £80 for it. Bit cheaper than ECP.

George is a great guy, you won't wanna get your brakes elsewhere after you use him! Next day delivery too!

The most common 15" wheels people on here will use are Phase 1 172 wheels, called F1's, but they can be prone to buckling, can be picked up fairly cheap though. Other people use Team Dynamics Pro Race wheels, Speedline 2118's (originally a gravel wheel - so very strong), and in my case, Speedline Williams wheels from the Mk1 Clio Williams.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Welcome to the forum mate, some great advice allready above.

I've tried 15's and standard 16's on track on my Clio. An unfair comparison as the standard wheels had road tyres and the 15's had 888's on. I have decided to sell (have done) my 15's and just opt to try the ns2r's in soft as my all round tyre. I don't use the car much atall so they will suit me, hopefully. They seem to be getting good reviews and at £240 for a set good value too.

A decent 5-40 fully synthetic oil will see you right, so much choice but a decent brand will do.

Gearbox oil again won't really need to be changed too often, so again a good branded oil will suffice.

With the clio's and I'm sure you can relate with the 205 handling is it's plus point so just make sure nothing is hanging off, decent brakes from George and you will be good to go.

Do a trackday and see what needs to be improved, rather than spending xyz on stuff that you 'may' need. Tbh I've been guilty for that.

Have fun. :)

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Have coming from the 205 a rear anti-roll bar may be required as the Clios rear end is much more planted and needs a little more provacation to play but as said see how you go.