ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying no cup packs.

Iceberg 172
Hey guys,

would you buy a clio 182 with no cup packs? But in lovely condition?

Thanks,
Dan

Iceberg 172
I'm thinking more about resale, many people go on about not buying clios without cup packs anymore. Is the suspension cup pack upgrade feasible to do yourself?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
The benefit of buying a non-cup packed car is the choice of coilovers is greater due to the bolt spacing AFAIK.

You can add a Cup spoiler and paint the wheels and pretend.

clio diesel
There is probably just as much difference between two non-cup pack cars as there is between a cup and a non-cup.

This is renault, not exactly known for their precision. You only have to look at standard cars to see they dont all sit the same.

If you are going to immediately have to buy a cup spoiler and refurbish the wheels factor that into the price, £100-150 for a cup spoiler if your lucky enough to find one in the colour you want or that amount plus paint if you don't and a decent refurb on the wheels will be £200 ish.

Depends what your plans are going to be, if you want something to buy and leave alone then I'd get a good condition cup packed one; if your going to buy coilovers, change wheels etc then buy it if its in good nick and a decent price.

Go see a FF182 in the flesh and then the non cup packed one and see if you could live with leaving it how it is maybe?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The only reason I'd be worried is that Cooksport Springs work best with cup shocks. But then I'd be letting Dan@SJM refurb the suspension and he fits cup shocks anyway.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
My old 182 had no cup packs and it was awesome, so yes. Had a cup spoiler though.

Iceberg 172
I'm not worried about coilovers at the moment but maybe in the future, the wheels are already refurbed anthracite (in perfect condition), so I'd only need cup spoiler and splitter to make it look cup-packed. Its a very clean in and out car with low mileage which make it appealing to me. Hmm decisions!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I wanted one with no cup packs. I added a trophy spoiler myself, a cup splitter and changed the springs and dampers anyway when refreshing all steering components.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, best spec to turn into a race car.

But not racecar?

I personally think the splitter and cup spoiler make a good difference in the looks, not sure if the non cup ones come with the horrible seats or not?

Suspension isn't really a big deal tbh, as said if you fancy modifying it there's more choice for coilovers etc.

I personally would prefer a 182 cup or FF over a non cup packed one.

Audi A5
But not racecar?

I personally think the splitter and cup spoiler make a good difference in the looks, not sure if the non cup ones come with the horrible seats or not?

Suspension isn't really a big deal tbh, as said if you fancy modifying it there's more choice for coilovers etc.

I personally would prefer a 182 cup or FF over a non cup packed one.

Only the cups came with the horrid seats, non cup models have the normal seats, cup packs or not.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Ah cheers, wasn't sure. The cup seats are horrible, glad I got the seats from the ph1 in there. Still got the rear bench though lol.

Clio 197
Hey guys,

would you buy a clio 182 with no cup packs? But in lovely condition?

Thanks,
Dan

I originally wanted one with the cup packs but then quickly realised it made little to no difference what so ever to me; splitter, bigger spoiler and slightly lower &
different wheel colour....nothing that couldnt be changed yourself if you wanted. Definitely not a reason to not buy a 182 :)

Iceberg 172
I originally wanted one with the cup packs but then quickly realised it made little to no difference what so ever to me; splitter, bigger spoiler and slightly lower &
different wheel colour....nothing that couldnt be changed yourself if you wanted. Definitely not a reason to not buy a 182 :)

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense! It has the wheels already painted anthracite so thats not a problem, will just keep an eye out for a cup spoiler/trophy spoiler and splitter, then its basically sorted :D

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
If you're planning to change bits, then it's definitely not an issue. The only issue I saw with the non-cupped 182 was that the profile view made it look like a 4x4.

It was a no brainer when I was ticking the options list when I ordered the car. Iirc, it was something like a £250 option. Quite why people didn't do that as default is a little unusual to me - lol.

​D.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Would have been nice if full fats came with the silver wheels or at least had an option to (maybe they did)?, as they look better than the grey in my view

LY FF182
I wouldn't buy a FF if I was doing it again.. Trophy or normal 182.... And I'd need persuading for a trophy too. Non cup packed and play with it with coilovers and new wheels anyway

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
2 cup packs:

styling one = splitter thats probably broken and a spoiler

Solution to buying without:
splitter is 120 ish quid, or 15 quid for a superior skoda one that doesnt break as easily
spoiler personally I dont really care about looks wise, but if you do you can buy one relatively cheaply

Suspension cup pack = different hubs with different bolt spacing, bigger bearings, and slightly different steering arm angles, and shocks that need replacing anyway as will the springs for most people

buy a secondhand set of hubs for not a lot of money, and some new shocks
or just ignore as its not a difference you will ever notice anyway

I would take a good condition non cupped pack one over a slightly worse condition cup packed one every time personally!

F56 MINI Cooper S
Cup suspension is zero difference. I've had two 182's now, one with no cup packs, one with both. In terms of handling there is absolutely no difference. as for the splitter the majority of them are missing anyway, so its down to the colour of the alloys and rear spoiler.

Iceberg 172
I wouldn't buy a none cup packed one.

Care to elaborate?

2 cup packs:

styling one = splitter thats probably broken and a spoiler

splitter is 120 ish quid, or 15 quid for a superior skoda one that doesnt break as easily
spoiler personally I dont really care about looks wise, but if you do you can buy one relatively cheaply

Suspension cup pack = different hubs with different bolt spacing, bigger bearings, and slightly different steering arm angles, and shocks that need replacing anyway as will the springs for most people

buy a secondhand set of hubs for not a lot of money, and some new shocks
or just ignore as its not a difference you will ever notice anyway

I would take a good condition non cupped pack one over a slightly worse condition cup packed one every time personally!

Yeah, I will get the skoda one, and I suppose it keeps up the option to get coilovers If I wanted too. I doubt I'll even notice the difference at all.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just personal preference, I wouldn't want to run none standard suspension.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just personal preference, I wouldn't want to run none standard suspension.

Standard hubs you mean?
Or have you forgotten how easy it is to just swap on some lowering springs and new cup (172 cup) shocks onto a non cup packed 182 to get fantastic handling and decent looks?

The hubs are the only non trivial thing to change, and TBH even then its not that hard to find a secondhand set and swap them over, but there is just no point normally, as you wont notice it in reality.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I don't like lowered cars etc, so would want everything standard, don't like the silver wheels either

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Exactly:p its a daily so i want the luxuries:p

Xenons arnt that great anyway, if you like a constant buzzing get climate.. Half leather seats and less supportive that the ones in my 182 Cup.