ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a williams

Hello everyone, I am currently looking for a williams and wanted some opinions. I have 2 friends who have previously owned a williams, so know the car quite well.

I just wanted to know the general opinions on how strong the engine and gear box are when the cars done 80k+? I have heard about 1k gear box rebuilds at this kind of mileage.

Im going to be living in the alps so want something thats going to be lots of fun, but quite strong - hopefully a Williams?!

Well, a new box is only £500 odd (recond I think but from Renault).

Just take yer time and get a good one..

Good luck!

The box and engine are pretty tough as long as the car is serviced properly.

Its the peripheral parts youve got to watch out for (e.g. engine mounts, bearings, rubbers etc), which tend to wear with age as much as mileage.

Good luck - there can be few better places for a Williams than the Alps!

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 27 February 2005
Good luck - there can be few better places for a Williams than the Alps!

Civic Amenity Sites ? :D

Thanks for the replys guys... ive been surprised how many willies there are on the market at the moment, so the search continues. Theres a good chance im going to buy my mates 0062:D, as i know him and the car well

Yea.

Id recommend going to look at a few.. as the condition can vary greatly between them all.

The one thing that i am a bit cautious of about my mates Williams 1, is that im going to be living in the alps for most of the year, so was thinking ABS would be a good thing... whats the general thought on the 1 vs 2,3 on this?

Ok, am still looking around for my car... What are the thoughts on a lowered Williams? Does this spoil the Williams handling?

What mods should I look out for / avoid?

Massey6465 & saxo1.1

mines lowered at the back by 30mm. IMO it has not ruined the handling-its still great.I think it looks a bit better too_Only other mods are a stainless back box and a pipercross filter which is on the car sometimes(when I feel like a bit of noise). I wouldnt be after any more mods on mine I dont think.Its just rite as it is. :)

My mates car has a K&N and a hill power chip, but is otherwise standard - imo, thats about perfect for mods

will have to go and have a look at a lowered one to make my mind up

ClioWilliams Mk2

My willy is lowered [see http://www.williamsclio.co.ukwww.williamsclio.co.uk media and pic EA meet] probably about 50mm - she handles like shes on rails and has 144K on the clock - had her for 18 months and she is the most reliable car I have ever owned - driven every day around the twistly suffolk roads and she goes like a train- no ABS but feels really taut and just sticks to the tarmac like glue- get one you wont regret it lowered or not !!

Id be very careful about lowering a Williams, purely because the standard set-up is so well balanced between grip and give. The 16V and Williams ride relatively lower than the 172/182 anyway. I lowered my old 16V - but not my Williams - because I appreciated the tireless hours of testing to perfection by Renault!

The people who have lowered theirs love it and everyone else keeps it standard because they love the handling - doesnt seem like you can loose...

Is there anyone who has lowered their car or even driven both extensively who thinks that a lowered one is much worse?