ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a new rear shock

one of mine decided to p*ss all of its oil out whilst i had it up on stands earlier this afternoon; just ordered another from Renault - they're only £53; for the little extra, i'd rather have an OE damper. ideally should replace them in pairs, but shouldn't be critical providing the other's not shot as well. will see anyway

VX220
well it passed the mot yesterday, little bit of gunk and rag cleaned off the oil and then through a few puddles on the way seemed to do the trick. I can now spend some time looking around. cheers guys
Chris

Ph2 172
Yeah same price as dealer. I found my left rear shocker leaking recently too. Looked almost everywhere for a spare one. But I couldnt be sure how long a used one from a breakers would last.. and had a feeling my right side would pack in soon after! Decided to just get a new pair from the dealers last week. Have the part nums if you need them.

VX220
Yeah same price as dealer. I found my left rear shocker leaking recently too. Looked almost everywhere for a spare one. But I couldnt be sure how long a used one from a breakers would last.. and had a feeling my right side would pack in soon after! Decided to just get a new pair from the dealers last week. Have the part nums if you need them.

that would be helpful if you could drop me the part numbers please mate.
Chris

just some fresh observations about inspecting dampers if concerned about differences in performance between new and used -

(need a bench mounted vice - or a damper test rig..)

clamp two (new & used) into a vice and pull the rods down together; compare rate of return. pull the rods down alternately and compare the effort required (schoolboy method, but will highlight significant problems). hold either rod down and note the length of rod exposed - dampers that have leaked will not allow their rods down as far as a fresh damper (effectively limiting suspension travel)

significant differences, should renew the used damper