ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a Mk1 172. What should I look out for ?

Hopefully a Clio 172 soon
Hi all,

Hopefully I'll be in a position to go shopping for a Mk1 172 next weekend and want to know what sort of things should I be looking out for ?

Fancied a clio ever since I test drove a Trophy last year but my company wouldn't let me have it cos of a last minute change in policy :-(

So now that I've changed jobs and lose the company car next weekend (and hopefully get my final salary payment) I fancy a 172 as I'll have about £5k to throw at one.

There's 2 on here I really like the look of but want to know what to expect if you wouldn't mind advising a newbie.

Also, what kind of MPG can I expect. I only ask cos it'll be an 80 mile round trip to my new offices and I need to be sure my expenses will cover the cost of the fuel and running costs.

Cheers Chaps.

Gary

i get around 36 mpg constantly, and thats not taking it easy either. Motorways give 42mpg at cruising speed :)

look out for the Cambelt change... Renault say @ 72k but realistically it should be done at 50k miles.

if you can get one with an Aluminuim bonnet then its a bonus, most of them were Steel.

80 miles a day - expect to fill up every 3 days minimum.

If the steering wheel is worn don't be put off either.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
Mine might be for sale. Silver, 46k,fsh,cambelt done.
Ill Pm with details if your interested.

Common problems are rattling exhaust/heatshield at 4000 revs which mine has but can easily be resolved.

Engines are strong if serviced reguarly. Make sure cambelt/aux belt has been done at this age as Reno want £600 for this job.

Wheel bearings & engine mounts.(chaged on mine)

Rear dampers/springs are a common failure.

Im averaging 35mpg & none of thats motorway.

Hopefully a Clio 172 soon
This buying my own car thing has got me a bit nervous to be honest. Bikes I know about but Cars are weird things with lots to go wrong...

Oh aye....
phsquick ?

Eh ?

Golf R/Leon FR
hey fella, not much more really to look for as they have already covered it, just your basic checking bodywork and making sure its been serviced regularly.

as for ph-quick its a nickname that a certain someone came up with and seems to have taken off rather quickly!!! lol

they say the mk1 172 is quicker than the mk2 so the mk2 gets nicknamed the ph-slo!!