ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a Clio Sport 182

Hi, Im new to this forum just now. i am looking to Buy a Clio 182 Cup. Have looked at various ones on Autotrader. Just trying to get a little more inside information on the car. Any probelms/Tips. Live near Edinburgh so if anyone has or knows of anyone selling and would like to help would be very greatfull. Looking to spend about £6,500 tops. Maybe up to 03 plate with max of 55k miles.

Thanks for any help.

I think an 03 plate would be a 172?

I will be selling an immaculate Black Gold 182, full service history, 32k after just over £7k for it.

Lotus Elise 111R
£6.5k MAY get you into a 182, but prob not a great one. Upto 03 plate will be a 172, as 182's kicked off in 2004.

Sorry ment 03 as in oldest id be willing to purchase. Please send me a PM with any offers/Info or pics. I seen a Black Gold on auto trader for 6k with 50k miles . Looked a really sweet car. Please can you email/PM your car with details. thanks

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
03 would still be 172 mate. 182s where 04 onwards.

Just look for things like:

Brakes - Rears are not cheap and maybe shot looking at the mileage of car your going to buy

Cambelt - If you can get one that’s been done then great as when they do go there expensive. I wouldn’t personally leave one until the 5year mark, you have to get the balance right between age and mileage. I mean I wouldn’t want to buy a 55k clio 182 that’s an 04 plate. My old 172 was knackered at 33k miles and was 4 years old.

Exhaust - Check for rotten exhaust if you get a late 172 as they rot. Not sure on what the 182 rear boxes are like - I had one but it was a brand new car.

Electrics – Check all are working, i.e. ABS light doesn’t come on etc. Also check the air con works – not that expensive to get re-gassed but still.

Other - Drive hard and check for knocking noises as the mounts are not the best. Also check the seat works ok (as in adjustments).

Other than that, look for the usual mint body work, wheels, frsh if poss etc.

Rite thanks for that. Been on the Pistonheads website and been in contact with a guy who is from the uk but currently lives in Rome. He is selling his 182 and is arranging it to be shipped over me check it out then decide to buy it or not and have it returned free if i deline. So will see how this goes and will look over the car. 25k miles 04 plate and £5,000 inc shipping and reg documents etc. Seems a good deal

Deja vu 182
Good deal if you want to lose your money . Surely you must thing something s not right with that?

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Rite thanks for that. Been on the Pistonheads website and been in contact with a guy who is from the uk but currently lives in Rome. He is selling his 182 and is arranging it to be shipped over me check it out then decide to buy it or not and have it returned free if i deline. So will see how this goes and will look over the car. 25k miles 04 plate and £5,000 inc shipping and reg documents etc. Seems a good deal

Scam be warned.

Is he asking for your sort code and account numbers? :eek:

LOL if thats not a scam I will eat my hat.
You can't even get a cat c/d 182 for £5k that should of been the clue.

Lotus Elise 111R

You are joking I take it??

If not you have been in a sealed box for the last couple of years. This is the biggest scam in the book....

I suppose there is still one born everyday, and this is how these schmucks are still getting away with it!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Suspect to me mate! It would seem all the hottest hatches seem to be the bait of choice for these arse pirates.

Avoid it like jade goody mate!

Yea obviously i thought it was a bit suspect. He seems certain its not. Will see how far hes willing to go without me giving any payment details etc... Will keep you posted as well

Cheers

White clique
Its not even worth following up honestly, its just too cheap and you will waste your time and maybe money!! Your budget 6.5k will just possibly get you into a 182, deffo over 40k miles and as people are pointing out they can get pricey at that point (i sold mine at 46k miles). Better to go for a well cared for 172 53 plate or something, there are plenty out there.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Last edited:

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Looks tidy enough - hard to tell from photos of course. Get some warranty from a dealer as well, maybe try beat them down a few hundred quid and I reckon that might be a winner :)

Dan

Lotus Elise 111R
Why stay close to home? Other end of the country, but I know a fellow enthusiast in Brighton, who has a silver 182, 04 plate with 39k for £6100. He wants it gone asap, no haggling, he knows it is cheap, but to move it on. Just an example. The best are never nearby!

Clio 1.2 Billabong
tbh be careful with abbey cars. i had a look there when looking for a car. we saw an mg zr that had the seats washed etc then they just closed the doors and left it, so there was an incredible amount of mould on the seats.

and look for dents and dings on it, especially if its kept in the showroom as they seem to pack as many cars as poss in there.

Yea well its quite hard to get down to brighton to view a car. When you consider travelling down from edinburgh then to drive up its going to cost a fair amount. when if i buy sumin local i can view first check it out etc. The n if any problems go back there.

also... that guy with the ofer from abroad. I asked for some photos so he sent me some... of other cars on the pistonheads site. two shades of blue, different reg's. He obviously was trying to pull a fast one so i told him id passed on the information. Not heard back...

Clio Trophy
Yea well its quite hard to get down to brighton to view a car. When you consider travelling down from edinburgh then to drive up its going to cost a fair amount. when if i buy sumin local i can view first check it out etc. The n if any problems go back there.

also... that guy with the ofer from abroad. I asked for some photos so he sent me some... of other cars on the pistonheads site. two shades of blue, different reg's. He obviously was trying to pull a fast one so i told him id passed on the information. Not heard back...

He is the same man who tries to purchase your items on ebay and asks you to send them to his brother/mother/sister/cousin in nigeria as a present. Bandits everywhere these days unfortunately.

Below is the jist of what he sent me. Have a laugh reading and viewing...

I would like to use a shipping company for this deal, the process is very easy and I have just bought a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee and this is why I know how it works. This company will handle the delivery of the car and also they will handle all the registration papers. If we will use it you will have 5 days to inspect the car before you decide to buy it.
I will pay delivery! The delivery time will be arround 3-4 days and the car will be delivered at your home address. In this time you will receive the tracking number of the transaction so you can use it to check the status on the company website.
Let me explain you the whole proccess:

First I will need your details, full name and address. As soon as I get the info from you I will take the car and go to the shipping company to transfer it in their custody. I will pay all the shipping charges. After the car is in their custody they will send you a confirmation and also payment instructions. They work as an escrow service and will hold the payment during the 5 days period for inspection. After the payment is confirmed to them, they will get the car to
your home address and will also give you the documents of registration and the car will be left in your custody, in this period you can inspect the car, take it to a service for inspection and drive test it. After the 5 days period is over the shipping company will come to you and if you decided to keep the car you will transfer the documents on your name
and after the car is registered on your name they will release the payment to me. If you decide not to buy the car they will get the car back and will send you a full refund of the payment.

Please e-mail me with your decision and also your full name and address!!

Thank you for your interest in purchasing my car.
The vehicle is in good condition, has no technical damage at all, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects, no smoking.
It's fun and robust to drive. Technical inspection and emissions testing is passed and stamped as well. It has title of ownership, cleared of any obligations or fees and comes with all the documents you need to register it.
I have worked in UK for the last 2 years and I've purchased the car there. My company wanted me back home, so currently I'm in Rome, Italy. I've bring the car home with me. I decided that is better to sell it because I don `t use it anymore (the wheel is on right side and is very difficult for me to drive it in Italy) and it `s a pitty to keep such a car and not to use it.
I realize that is a cheap price for such a car but my special situation makes me do things that I wouldn't do in normal Circumstances.
The price I am looking for my car is £5,000 including the shipping costs,insurance and handling(delivery to EUROPE).
You will not have to pay additional taxes for this.
Please feel free to email me with any questions you may have.
Thank you and have a nice day!

I've not seen that one before, ones like that yes, but not hat exact one.

also - just to mention a 182 could be had on a 53 reg, on a 53 you could still get a 172 (one of the last few, but some on here have 04 reg ones, they are very rare though) 53 reg was the cross over from the 172 /182.