ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a 172

Morning guys!!!

Thinking of buying the missus a Clio 172 but just need a bit of info. Only really looking to spend about £6,000 so I just want to know what to look out for etc etc and also what would be the best buy for that sort pf money! How reliable are they as well???

Thanks for your help in advance!

Stu

Generally very reliable only issues you are likely to have are minor rattles or poorly fitted trim. Apart from that you shouldnt have any problems unless you get landed with a lemon or used and abused example. For that money you are looking at a late-ish phase one or and early higher milage phase2. The phase two has more toys and obviously the facelifted front end apart from that they are very similar and is probably down to looks as to which you choose.

Nice one matey!!!

I just think they are a lot of car for that money! I think there are very few true hot hatches these days that get within a mile of it!

Stu :)

Phase 2 has xenon lights over double optics, 16" wheels over 15", full climate A/C over A/C, colour coded door mouldings, revised suspension, revised gear ratios, FBW throttle instead of cable. Thats the main differences between the two other than the bodyshape/bumpers/dash shape/differences in interior door trims and seats.

Obviously lower milage is better IIRC cambelt and Plugs (requires inlet manifold removal to fit plugs) are due around the 60,000 mark. But at the same time use common sense, a well looked after fully stamped higher miler with good bodywork is better than a tatty thrashed low miler that may have been late or skipped services.

Quote: Originally posted by Metallic Black on 26 July 2005

For 6k youll probably get a Mk 2 172, about 01 reg, maybe 02 if youre lucky.

Find me an 01 reg car(any type) and ill personally be your slave for life, lol

Mini Cooper S sport

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 26 July 2005

Oh I meant 2001 Y reg (or 51) , smartass! Im ill :p

Will you be my slave anyway?

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 26 July 2005

Oh I meant 2001 Y reg, smartass! Im ill :p

Will you be my slave anyway?

excuses excuses. :eek:P

depends what youve got in mind ;)