ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

172 Race Car
Loved the video I was watching one the other day of you or tony battling it out with an integra was some real close racing.

Would love to see it in action sometime.
This one?

Tony with Integra, Me with 306. Both epic days for us, both tracks that people say are boring but are fantastic places to race

Last edited by a moderator:
  172 Race Car
Oulton Park Pre-season Run

We didn’t intend to test the car prior to the first race at Rockingham next month. Work, holidays and our trackday at Llandow is going to keep us very busy in March. The best we had planned was a quick shakedown run up and down our friends long drive way. But an opportunity presented itself early last week. The weather had been good for the time of year and after a mad rush to try to get everything ready we attended a Trackday at Oulton Park. The forecast was for a dry but chilly day so we gathered a lot of equipment and decided to do some meaningful testing and setup work. Spring changes were on the bill and we had plenty to choose from.

img-20130301-00633.jpg
img-20130301-00631.jpg

Tony had a busy day ahead of him and we had nearly a 100 litres of fuel to use if needed. James from FF-Racing kindly came along to help out for the day. We sent Tony out for a 3 lap run to check everything over. He was back after a lap as the red flag came out. The car was barely warm so he queued up to go back out as soon as the track went green. One lap and red flag again. This went on for an hour or so with lots of cars stopping on track and bringing out the red. But we managed to sort out a few issues including a coolant leak, the exhaust falling off and a few loose bolts.

We got some decent laps in and got the car settled on the setup we ran in the race back in October. Tony said he could drive the car all day long like that and was happy. So just before lunch we made a big change to the spring rates all round, stiffening the whole car. Tony went out for a 3 lap run to get the tyres warm again and came back saying it felt surprisingly good. We checked the tyre temps after a longer 15 minute run and took a little camber off the front.

img-20130301-00636.jpg
img-20130301-00637.jpg

Tony was dispatched for another 15 minutes and had started to push on. The car was massively better in the slow speed chicanes, carrying 5mph more at the apex than we did during the race. A couple of more tweaks and we decided to call it a day. The car was pretty much there, tyre temps were perfect and the balance almost spot on. From this point the car should just need slight tweaks based on the circuit. On interrogating the video and data logger Tonys best laps were equal to our fastest lap from the race in October, but with much less effort and a bit more caution due to it being just a trackday. Interested to see how the season goes now.

172 Race Car
We reckon so yes. How we had the car setup previously was always a little compromised due to the springs we were running. With this setup weve managed to maintain the high speed balance and improve the slow/medium speed whilst making it quicker mid corner. Yes the headline laptime Tony did at the trackday wasnt quicker than we achived in the race last year but it was a trackday so driven with a lot more caution. As you can see from this vid below, compare it too the fastest laps 2012 vid, same laptime, very different video. Predicted laptime with best sectors added up was very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Cup In bits
Sunday drivesque from Tony there. I see you have various spring lengths there, are you guys running a single coil know or still a helper and main on front and sleeve, helper and main on rear?

172 Race Car
Weve never run a sleeve on the rear. We had some springs made years ago (tall black ones in that pic) very hard to get springs the right size so has to be custom made if you want to loose spacer.

Think there is a helper on the rear (James will know, he changed the rears) fronts have a helper

Cup In bits
Ahrite okay, I can remember one of the race lads with AST's on here running sleeves to take up the slack, maybe your old AST's no?

172 Race Car
That is the normal way of doing it yes as the springs that length are readily available. As said i had some custom ones made about 4 or 5 years ago. Did run the spacer for a few months when i had them on the trackcar

Clio
I love how that looks so quick, yet it looks like tony is taking a casual drive down to the shop for the Sunday paper, proper good driving there!

172 Race Car
Just had the Bonnet catch safety recall letter from Renault for the race car, Lol, um, shall i get it booked in?

Clio 172
Had my bonnet catch letter. I must be special as they are asking for £95 if it has to be repaired....

Just a comment on the vides you could almost hear that Porsche driver thinking 'Thats a Clio, I've been overtaken by a Clio, does he not know I'm in a Porsche?, the bloody cheek of it, how dare he'.

182cup & 172 racecar
Just had an email from Track attack to say, they are having a race Silverstone full GP circuit on 27th April.

Nice and close to home, might have a go at that one as well.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I like silverstone for spectating but sadly I'm already booked onto Combe that day. Hope you have a good day though tony.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Just had an email from Track attack to say, they are having a race Silverstone full GP circuit on 27th April.

Nice and close to home, might have a go at that one as well.

Keep me in the loop with that one old timer. Me and Alf would like to come along if that's ok?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm always wanted to see the burpspeed car in action this could be a good chance seen as it only 10 minutes away.

Make a good day out if the weather is nice I'm sure :).