ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

M140i
Think you guys are doing fantastically well tbh... Glad to be associated with you both. Will definitely arrange to come to one of the days, either way Ill see you at FCS :)

Qashcow
Tony, as dans already asked you, you know about it but we'll be at FCS now too. We'll get the tea on for you while your on track :)

172 Race Car
So Oulton Park is a few days away, we cant wait

Not a massive amount to update on, mainly spanner checking and an oil change. The car is spot on, nothing has come loose or broken at all. Amazing considering the amount of running it did at Anglesey, Around 3 hours, and the amount of grassy moments.

After destroying the tyres at Anglesey we contacted the supplier to buy some more. The rears are fine so we were going to fit 2 new ones to the front. Problem! They no longer stock the Hankook Z211 and have no plans to import any more. After several phone calls to other suppliers turned up blank we were left needing to buy an alternative set and hope the setup we have works with them. We choose to go with Dunlop DZ03. Alot of cars in the series run on them and another Clio runner swears by them. They certainly stung the wallet but hopefully they will be worth the money.

tn_14.jpg

A few little improvements, drilled a few holes to get more air into the filter area and some more cooling for the alternator.

Photo-0400.jpg

Photo-0402.jpg

We definately needed more neg camber on the front of the car, without any time to do tyre temperature readings we cant be sure how much exactly but more is better than leaving it as is. We ere already maxed out on the top bolt holes at around -3.5deg so swapped the bolts for some M12 cap heads to allow more movement. We have set it to around -4.5deg and see how it goes.

IMAGE_145.gif

I also found this little vid on youtube. From the race start at Brands. You can just make out Tony trying to stay out of trouble.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8tsu_RqKyzs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8tsu_RqKyzs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

172 Race Car
Forcast is sunny.

Yea 3pm for our race, we will be based just behind the pit garages in the paddock.

Be nice to see you mate

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Jay

Get some spiralock nuts on as these can be torqued upto standard settings.
Ring them up and they should send you a couple of samples foc.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Some what?

EDIT:
Just googled them, whats wrong with nyloc nuts?

They are too soft I used the spiralock and some spreader plates either side of the bolt I may still have them.
I may be able to get to oulton on sat, could bring them down.

172 Race Car
Oh and a little side note. we stripped down the old engine a few weeks ago (the one that had massive crank end float) and found these in the sump, Lol.

IMAGE_121-1.jpg

Track valver + Ibiza FR
Judging by other peoples comments your racing at oulton park this saturday (12th). I might come down, I would love to see the car and get some pictures of it in action.

172 Race Car
Yes we are at Oulton on Saturday.

Qualifying 09:50-10:20
Race 15:00

Pics would be great. Helps me to make a report after.

If you do come down make sure you come and introduce yourself

Honda ATR
Oh and a little side note. we stripped down the old engine a few weeks ago (the one that had massive crank end float) and found these in the sump, Lol.

IMAGE_121-1.jpg

This would explain the bottom end noise at Anglesea.....Has it caused much damage to the crank?

172 Race Car
This would explain the bottom end noise at Anglesea.....Has it caused much damage to the crank?
:S eh? what bottom end noise at Anglesey?

The engine is fine, these are from the engine we originaly fitted to the car. Loads of pick up on the cams so the s**t has gone right through the engine. We scrapped it and bought another spare engine.

Good luck for Oulton. Are you at Cadwell at any point?
As Tony said no were not going to Cadwell. We haven't got the budget to do all the rounds so may aswell not do the one thats gonna cost alot to travel to and were not that bothered about.

Dispite the distance were glad we did anglesey, was amazing

Are you guys using Goodridge brake hoses?

I think that's maybe what I can see wrote on that hose anyways?!
I think so yes

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Nice to see you and tony yesterday mate, was a good day. Once you get the car handling consistantly it'll be a real weapon. Looking forward to the report, hope you're not relying on my pictures though! I really need to finish my ph1 now, almost want to just chuck some tbs on it and come and play in your series!
Russ

JDM Dc2
Seen you spin twice in the first 3 laps exiting Knickerbrook on saturday morning in the start of the qualifying session... one of the Marshalls said it was due to coolant leaking onto the rears or something!?...

looked like it was going well in the 2nd half of Quali!

How did you get on in the race?

172 Race Car
Yep had a coolant leak, a qick fix by Aaron182 and Tony went out and put a decent time in. We only did 7 laps in quali between us. Set up as shite, made an adjustment for the rac and it was better.

Full report up soon

172 Race Car
Nice to see you and tony yesterday mate, was a good day. Once you get the car handling consistantly it'll be a real weapon. Looking forward to the report, hope you're not relying on my pictures though! I really need to finish my ph1 now, almost want to just chuck some tbs on it and come and play in your series!
Russ
Nice to see you too mate.
We know the car can go much quicker, its gonna take some time but plans are afoot. Hopefully we can stay on the current tyres and set the car up around them.

Used some of the pictures you took, Lol.

172 Race Car
Saturday 12th Jun 2010 - Oulton Park Tintops Race

Another sunny race day, another circuit. The full International layout at Oulton Park. After wearing out our Hankook tyres at Anglesey and not being able to get any replacements, we had no choice but to choose another tyre brand. We went for the Dunlop DZ03 as this is quite a popular tyre in the Tintops series. However, with no time to test before the race day we had to hope that they would work with the setup we left Anglesey with.

We set up camp for the day and swapped the wheels over as normal. We had fully checked the car over during the week, so it was ready to go. The only job left was to tighten up the fan belt a little. As soon as we loosened the adjuster on the alternator, we discovered the casing had broken. A spare alternator was the only thing we had forgotten to bring! The top bracket done up tight was the best we could do.

571.jpg
572.jpg

561.jpg
575.jpg

Oulton is the first circuit we have visited that both of us had perviously been to. Both of us have done a few track days there. Based on how we had got on in the past, we had set ourselves the target of getting into the 2min03sec bracket. I did the first stint in qualifying and realised straight away that the setup was way off for our new tyres. It was now the total opposite to Brands Hatch, massive oversteer. I had a spin on my first lap and braked too late for the Hizzy chicane on the second. 2 laps later I had another huge spin exiting knickerbrook, this time I knew it wasn't just me/setup. As I slid across the grass I could see steam from the bonnet so made my way slowly into the pits. Tony and our crew for the day were surprised to see me. They took the bonnet off and the problem was obvious. A split hose had sprayed coolant all over the engine bay and the rear tyres were covered too. Some swift work by our guys got the hose repaired and some water back in with 9 minutes of qualifying left.

shapeimage_4.png

252.jpg
268.jpg

570.jpg
564.jpg

Tony had to complete some laps to get into the race. He took the first lap steady to clean up the tyres, then realised the car wanted to kill you at every turn. He missed the 2nd chicane, twice, a big sideways moment at Cascades and a trip through the gravel at Druids. The car was awful.

7 laps was all we had managed between us, but remarkably a 2:04.4 from Tony got us 9th on the grid.

590.jpg

After qualifying had finished, a marshall told us to go and visit the clerk of the course. We had been naughty boys. We were shown a sheet that they fill in at race control when the marshals radio in any incidents. 3/4 of the page was car 4. Missed chicane and continued, spin and continued, spin and continued, missed chicane and continued (possible advantage) Spin, trip through gravel and continued. He wasn't impressed. We told him about the coolant leak and said we were sorry, we left without penalty but were warned that we might get charged extra for using bits of the circuit we hadn't paid to use.

A big adjustment had to be made to try and get the car to stop going backwards into the corners. The biggest change we had made to make the Hankook's work was the rear anti roll bar. We took the links off completely and had to hope for the best. We checked the coolant hose and used the laptop to monitor the coolant temperature as the engine warmed up again. All was fine, a lucky escape.

574.jpg

3pm rolled around and the start of the race. Starting 9th place gave us position on the inside, near the pit wall. Someone ahead of us had to withdraw, so this promoted us up to 8th on the grid and on the outside. The lights went out and I made quite a good start, gaining a little on the car in front. Simon in the Peugeot 205 beside me had made an even better getaway and pulled alongside into the first turn. I ran wide and took to the grass. After what seemed like the whole grid had passed me I regained the track in 12th place but was back up to 10th by the end of the lap. The car felt much better than in qualifying, with a little turn in oversteer and some exit understeer. I had a few lockups into the hairpin as I struggled to get the car slowed down.

246.jpg
582.jpg

584.jpg
586.jpg

I made up a few places and was back up to 8th before the pit stop. I came into the pits at the end of lap 9, very quickly and struggled to slow down before the speed limit line. We had practiced our driver changes again in the lunch break and improved from Anglesey. Stationary for only 20 seconds, Tony was in and on his way.

He exited the pits right behind the 5th place car, as at Anglesey we had made a big jump through the pitstop phase. 6th place slipped by as Tony got up to speed and started to learn how the car felt. He managed to hang on to them for a few laps as they had a big battle. But the cars natural pace was behind them and he started to fall away into a very lonely 7th place. Another lock up and almost missing the 2nd chicane again gave the left front tyre a bad flat spot on lap 17. This caused a vibration but Tony's best lap of 2:03.8 was set on the final lap.

shapeimage_5.png
shapeimage_6.png

shapeimage_7.png

So 7th wasn't a bad result after a short qualifying and my mistake at the start. The day had again highlighted how valuable the test at Anglesey had been. Had we had the time to test before, we would of sorted the problems out and got a reasonable setup on the new tyres before race day. We were both pushing really hard in the race, a slightly disappointing day but the car survived and so did we.

oulton%20results.jpg

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Nice report Jay, some of my pics dont actually look too bad! 7th isn't too bad, Tony did look very lonely all on his own after the pitstop. That integra's best lap is rediculous btw, 1.55 on treaded tyres. Think my old leon has done a 1.56 on full slicks around there and my mates 306 ex btcc car a 1.56 too although cant remember if that was on slicks/treads.
Russ

172 Race Car
That integra's best lap is rediculous btw, 1.55 on treaded tyres. Think my old leon has done a 1.56 on full slicks around there and my mates 306 ex btcc car a 1.56 too although cant remember if that was on slicks/treads.
Russ
Fastest lap last year in Tintops was a 1:59 I thought that was fast. Ive passengered in an ex Clio cup car and the guy did a 2min dead on slicks with my extra bulk. Like you say 1:55 is quick!