ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car
Great thread guys.

We ran an Omex launch control on our car when we used it for sprinting. Based on our experience you'll probably want to do quite a few practise starts before finding your optimal rev point to set the unit at, you'll also need to bear in mind that that point may change depending on various factors such as the heat in the tyres, damp track etc. We found that we could be changing the revs by a couple of hundred throughout a day of sprinting with its repeated standing starts and if we did a start with hot tyres it could bog down due to the extra grip.

Since switching to racing and mostly rolling starts we have dropped it as we found that it never delivered quicker starts over a (good) manual launch but did make them more consistent (which you could argue is quicker over the course of a season).

In the heat of the moment you'll also need to remember to take you thumb off the button - with all the excitement of a race start I once completely forgot and wondered why it felt like I'd gone into reverse as the pack pulled away from me! God knows what I'd be like with an F1 wheel if one button is enough to confuse me....

172 Race Car
Only reason ours needs doing is the ecu was setup for a inductive sensor when we spec'd it. We are now using a hall effect speed sensor so the ecu needs a jumper soldering inside it. Didn't trust our blow lamp and plummers flux to solder a circuit board.

Set up is easy. just set wheel diameter and number of teeth on the ring and job done. ours should be calibrated on the dyno tho to make it spot on (if the car doesnt jump out as per its normal trick)

182cup & 172 racecar
Matt might be squashed in the corner of the dyno pod as we speak,he hasn't rang me yet.

CIW,we always have the option to turn anything off.I'm not a fan of LC,but we will try it out and see.

Burp, I must say that your topic was the first one I read when I discovered this forum, and must say that was quite a acomplish what you have done. But still I do not understand one thing (and here it comes the NOOB question):

I read that you broke yourself during race a lot of alternators (I remember 2 but I'm sure it were more) and can't understand how, even with a Race Alternator from Renault that happened again? Please explain me how that part could be so faulty?

182cup & 172 racecar
They had been reconditioned by a muppet and this proved to be our downfall,then when the casing broke it was found that they didn't quite line up and needed a washer in the bracket.
We now have all Renault gear so as to date we have had no problem.

ps we were running a Volvo set up before,as this did work on the track before,but just shows the difference between doing track days and actual racing.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
morning chaps,
another question if you have the answer / pics it would be handy,

when fitting the doorcards, did you cut away excess metal in the doors, if so you got any pics / info in what you left in there?

CLIO PH1 172
how come i cant click on the 'build' section on burdspeed.com?

you have to click the 'sponsers/suppliers' link first

CLIO PH1 172
yea got to it in the end it just seems you cant get to the build from your home page, thought i would let you know!

Qashcow
You can see in this pix there is a space, is that the washer that missing to cause your alt to break?

Cheers for the post, it did arrive today :)

04ec87cd.gif

172 Race Car
I read that you broke yourself during race a lot of alternators (I remember 2 but I'm sure it were more) and can't understand how, even with a Race Alternator from Renault that happened again? Please explain me how that part could be so faulty?
firstly thank you for your kind words.

The FULL alternator story

The total number of alternator deaths for the season was 6 failures but the car has had 4 different alternators on it

We started off with 2 refurbished Volvo alternators
1 failed whilst mapping. It decided to chuck out 19 volts so we had to finish the calibration with it disconnected and the battery on charge. The cal was never properly finished due to this and the car ran all season. This alternator was repaired under warranty before our shakedown at castle combe. During 40 mins of track time this failed again and so did the spare. They just stopped charging so a different fault to the first failure.

We sourced a 3rd Volvo alternator from a different supplier to get the car ready for our first race at Brands Hatch, we also rewired the alternator circuit, fitted a bigger battery, different warning light and made a hole in the bumper to improve the airflow to it. This alternator worked perfectly at Brands and 2 full days of testing and racing at Anglesey before the casing broke during the Oulton Park meeting due to a missing washer on the adjuster. It continued to work fine however.

After this we refitted one of the original Volvo alternators (that had been repaired yet again under warranty and checked on a test bed) along with a bigger alternator pulley to try and slow it down. This worked fine at a trackday at Silverstone and we forgot all about it as it appeared to be fixed.

During qualifying at Mallory Park the alternator stopped charging after 15 laps and due to the bigger pulley now fitted to this one, the regulator from the 2nd warranty repaired alternator was swapped over. All checked and working perfectly ready for the race. 10 laps into the race it started to charge at 19 volts before giving up and not charging from lap 15. We ran out of useable electric with 3 laps to go whilst in second place and limped home in 6th place (the low point of the year)

A genuine Renault Clio Cup/Kangoo van alternator went on next and this was fine for the last 3 races of the season.

Hope we have finally put that one to bed

172 Race Car
Yes the website has kind of fallen over. It was started as a hobby site for the old track car and has just been added to and added to. We are hoping to give it a refresh over the coming weeks

Dave, it was a washer on the adjuster side.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
morning chaps,
another question if you have the answer / pics it would be handy,
when fitting the doorcards, did you cut away excess metal in the doors, if so you got any pics / info in what you left in there?

Think there are some pics in the build section Mr Bone.

howdy again chaps, i could only find a pic of your door with your PVC card on, no images or anything of the door being cut.... off the top of your head do you know?
no worries if not

182cup & 172 racecar
Just got to leave enough metal to put some screws in really,you will see when you start.I just took a guess and marker pen it out and got cutting,scary to start with.

Qashcow
It may have boost soon, have stumbled upon a wiring fault so I've spent 2 hours scratchin my head and come in for dinner.

Fooking wayaaaas

172 Race Car
Car is all done and waiting to be picked up from TDF. Tony dropping off Bombers car and picking up ours later this week.

Its had the pit limiter sorted finaly, the fan sorted (that packed up at Brands) by rewiring my crap ecu plug and been on the dyno with LOTS and LOTS of straps.

Matt said its only lost 1 bhp during the season. not bad for a 90,000 miler with a slightly sick cylinder number 3

196bhp with 95 RON fuel