ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burning Smell

Clio 172
drove the clio to work this morning, got half way and could smell a funny burning smell (like when you put your gas fire on for the first time in ages and it burns the dust off) pulled over and openned the bonnet, there wasnt anything visable nor could you really smell anything with the bonnet open, but inside the car it stunk, turn the heater off and the smell goes.

anyone come aqcross this before?

RS mk2 172
You are checking if it is overheating and its charging output. Is it overcharging? Have a sniff around the alternator area, often voltage regulator fails causing overcharging and the burning smell.

Clio 172
just put a multi meter across battery terminals, 12.3 volt engine off, 14.8 volt engine on, very new to world of Renault but presume this would be normal? ie not over charging?

Clio 172
drove the car back home from work and all was fine other than the heater fan wasnt working, then all of a sudden it started working and out came a load of smoke, which cleared and all was fine again, so my train of thought is that something may have got caught in the fan, which brings me to my next question, where does the heater breathe from?