ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Building a Server?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
RAID10 is not cost effective, but if you end up having 10 computers using the server at the same time, the spindle speed will help get the data in/out faster. You said money was not a problem, so I would go with RAID10.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I promised myself I would stop contributing to this thread.. damn.

Lets see what Fatty and KDF suggest too then I think I havent missed anything? If I have PLEASE put me straight lol

HP and Cisco are both good, my personal preference is Cisco but that's probably because I am CCNA.

get a 12 or 24 port switch (unmanaged gigabit). Used RAID type 10 (I prefer 1+0, some people say a few RAID controllers work better with 0+1 but I am yet to see that). RAID for this purpose would be internal (inside the server). Use external USB HDD's for backup using a simple backup app like fBackup or the built in backup app. setup AD and map user folders to folders on the server.

24 port for all the difference in price... you will go through switch ports quicker than you think.

Don't bother with RAID 10 ! Overkill, Expensive etc.. common sense dictates that two RAID 1 setups would be better suited.

RAID 10 is not required.

Exactly.

RAID10 is not cost effective, but if you end up having 10 computers using the server at the same time, the spindle speed will help get the data in/out faster. You said money was not a problem, so I would go with RAID10.

RAID1 will cope just fine, and having a seperate RAID1 for the OS will ensure the OS always has access to it's own files and frees up the DATA drive for just serving data to clients.

Take it as it will be one hell of a farce if not impossible to upgrade from RAID 1 to 10
Nick

It would be a pain, but seriously.. RAID1 will be fine, if you are concerned about speed then just use 10k or even 15k SAS Drives.

How many people that have posted in here actually work with servers day in day out? And I don't mean just look at them or swap a backup tape.

(and not cookie as he is scared to turn them on and off)

dk

911 GTS Cab
My eyes are bleeding :(

Ok so kdf seems to know what he's talking about, although migrating from raid 1 to 10 is fairly straightforward, as most hp raid controllers treat 2 disks as a 2 disk raid 10 in effect, add two drives and it becomes a raid 10 automatically as its just mirroring with more drives.

I work with servers day in day out, I implement them for customers, along with small to million £ plus sans, I am also accredited in Hp up to the highest possible level (Master accredited systems engineer), a Cisco ccna, a netapp certified implementation engineer, a VMware certified professional and a microsoft mcse, so you could say I'm fairly qualified in this area, along with about 9 years experience, so not just a TBT (text book techie). ;)

The problem with this thread is the people who think they know what they are talking about, but who don't really and know a few buzz words or acronyms. Chapter doesn't know who does and who doesn't know their stuff though, so he doesn't know who to believe, that's why there is so much conflicting info flying about.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
How many people that have posted in here actually work with servers day in day out? And I don't mean just look at them or swap a backup tape.

Hater :eek:

I look after things that are sat on servers (like DHCP and DNS)

The rest of the time I lord it over blinky boxes tbf. I have looked after servers before, though.

I have been confused a few times... but I think im on the right track now (I hope) the summary above I think should be enough for what I need right now.

Would I need to setup a DNS on the server? Or would the Switch act as a DHCP?

Nick

No you will need a DHCP server to manage the leases so there are no IP conflicts. The switch has nothing to do with that.

BTW a server will need a static IP.

Oh lawd.

facepalm+statue.jpg

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
This thread is amazing. Best read on cs tech forum in ages.

Agreed. Only popped back in for a quick check to see how we are progressing and WOW! 13 pages already:)

What a journey. Chapster5, your head must be hurting by now surely?

As I think has already been mentioned, SBS will guide you through most of the configuration. If you can just learn the basics then you can build on that knowledge as you start to work with the product.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Yes, daily.. including purchasing, bare metal rebuilds, virtualization, consolidation blah blah etc.

Ok so kdf seems to know what he's talking about, although migrating from raid 1 to 10 is fairly straightforward, as most hp raid controllers treat 2 disks as a 2 disk raid 10 in effect, add two drives and it becomes a raid 10 automatically as its just mirroring with more drives.

I don't know HP kit (which I previously freely admitted.) The last time I did something similar I just build a new array and migrated the data across. The HP solution sounds painless.

If you setup Active Directory then you will need to setup DNS in the process.

Switch will not act as a DHCP.

Unless it's layer 3.;)

Actually the router would do the DHCP wouldnt it,

Would I assign a static IP in the router for the server?

Nick

For something your size you shouldn't need anymore than 254 address's, so set your subnet to 255.255.255.0 on your DHCP server. Then set your DHCP range x.x.x.50-150 (make sure you use a private address range) keep 1-49 for servers and 151+ for network peripherals such as routers and printers etc.

Yes, daily.. including purchasing, bare metal rebuilds, virtualization, consolidation blah blah etc.

I don't know HP kit (which I previously freely admitted.) The last time I did something similar I just build a new array and migrated the data across. The HP solution sounds painless.

Unless it's layer 3.;)

For something your size you shouldn't need anymore than 254 address's, so set your subnet to 255.255.255.0 on your DHCP server. Then set your DHCP range x.x.x.50-150 (make sure you use a private address range) keep 1-49 for servers and 151+ for network peripherals such as routers and printers etc.

Thank you :)

Nick

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Let's not complicate things ;)

Possible quote of the entire thread:)

I started chuckling right towards the start when there was mention of vlans, port security, god dam it even IDS was mentioned at one point lol. Then there was mention of OSI models and access layers. all for 5 users initially.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Unless it's layer 3.;)

And just in case you don't know what the private ranges are, for a subnet of 255.255.255.x you would normally use 192.168.1.x

Novell is looking too complex too many pieces of software to get by the looks of it. I would change anything at the moment in that respect I don't think. I have found a great step by step on setting up SBS from installation to adding clients users user groups VPN computers privillages

There is a step however of buying a secure license? What's that about or can I use the default one? Is it a necessary step?

Nick

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
he was joking! lol. you know, he made a funny?! haha?!!!

@Adam - I dont work with servers every day of the week, but most days of the week as that is a large part of my business...

P.s. and also have a masters in computer science, a BSc in internet technologies and applications and done ccna1-4...

Lol! Guess I need to stop taking everyone so serious in here I'm believing what I'm reading because you all know more than I do :p

As for the license thing is a necessary thing to do?

Also why do servers have 2 PSUs is it incase one fails?

Nick

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Lol! Guess I need to stop taking everyone so serious in here I'm believing what I'm reading because you all know more than I do :p

As for the license thing is a necessary thing to do?

Also why do servers have 2 PSUs is it incase one fails?

Nick

It's for exactly that reason, or if one power feed fails, or whatever. Just provides redundancy.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
No, its for redundancy.. you can pull either supply out with no effect on the system (other than generating alerts). Blade enclosures sometimes need three (or more) but at least one is reduntant should any of the others fail.

Just dont pull them both at the same time ;)

A proper setup should have no single point of failure.

DCi
I don't know lots so I abandoned thread fairly quick and tried not to get deeply involved in any srs business.

Then I figured I really should stop posting when I nearly sold my rubbish switch for £50 ha

I shall run 1 PSU on a separate ring main from anything else (eg client computers, printers, other perhipals) and the other PSU on yet another ring main just incase something trips on te other ring main it's all still going

Nick

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Run at least one of the PSU's on a UPS. Doesn't have to be anything special.. just enough to run it for 10-15 minutes. Set the UPS software to begin shutting down 5 minutes after a power cut. Most power cuts are seconds so your server would continue to run without ever shutting down.