ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buffer trails?

Focus RS + S3
Hi guys, its very rare i post in this section but im trying to 'get into' detailing.

last thread i posted was that i was going to paint correct my mk1 RS, got recommended scholl s17 and used a 3m yellow pad, got great results amd was very happy for my first go.

over the winter it accumulated some more swirls, hands up, admittedly i was giving it a quick was to get rid of salt etc

so a few weeks ago i gave it a quick going over again with the same combo, bit tonight on a drive in the sun i noticed what i believe to be buffer trails, it didnt happen last time but im putting it down to me not taking as great care as my first attempt,

ive had a quick search and i see its down to the polish not breaking down properly? What do i have to do to ensure that it breaks down enough or how would i know?

Just after some pointers really

thanks

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Read the machine polishing guides in this section and read about the 'zenith point'

Just work it longer to make sure it breaks down .

once the polish is broken down and you've got the machine running as fast as you can, you're cutting out the original defects but introducing your own, you have to then slow down the polisher to remove these self inflicted marks.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
As above but also worth going down to the next pad and polish compound below.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
It's leased so don't know where I stand with it, I have asked for the dealers details so I can ring them to request they leave it well alone.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
It's leased so don't know where I stand with it, I have asked for the dealers details so I can ring them to request they leave it well alone.

Spirit Blue ST3 being collected 31st of July here. Has 'DO NOT WASH' written all over the paperwork at the dealership, fingers crossed!!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Good luck mate, my mate had that with his red one, they washed it anyway lol

Knuckles, too many people are just happy with having s**t wiped around their car for some reason.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Hi guys, its very rare i post in this section but im trying to 'get into' detailing.

last thread i posted was that i was going to paint correct my mk1 RS, got recommended scholl s17 and used a 3m yellow pad, got great results amd was very happy for my first go.

over the winter it accumulated some more swirls, hands up, admittedly i was giving it a quick was to get rid of salt etc

so a few weeks ago i gave it a quick going over again with the same combo, bit tonight on a drive in the sun i noticed what i believe to be buffer trails, it didnt happen last time but im putting it down to me not taking as great care as my first attempt,

ive had a quick search and i see its down to the polish not breaking down properly? What do i have to do to ensure that it breaks down enough or how would i know?

Just after some pointers really

thanks

s17 is fairly aggressive with a polishing pad, certainly had decent results with it with the matching scholl pad, but I've also found it leave trails or holograms if not refined with a milder finishing pad and compound on VW paint. Working it longer will not reduce them IME.

If you're wanting to use it as a single stage it needs a lot more working with another form of lubricant as I found it dry quite quickly. Once you've considered it finished and reduced your working speed back down, lightly mist the panel with a QD spray and just give the area another pass or two and this will finish off nicely. I've tried this on a couple of panels, it cuts very well and quite quickly but can finish up to a lovely gloss

Beaten up 182
Go for two stages, you'll see the difference. I start with S3 gold then refine with S30. If the S3 starts to dry I just use a spray bottle filled with water and give the pad a squirt.