ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Budget Tyres

I would say the swap to something decent is much much bigger than the difference you get from lowering, changing shocks, polybushing the lot.

This!

I've seen people throwing hundreds, sometimes thousands of pounds at high-end suspension, only to combine it with poor tyres! :nono:

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
I agree the amount of fun you have with these cars is partially due too some good tires.
Also due to the average size of the alloys we use on these cars the tires are not that expensive at all to begin with.
And due to the high amount of cars that use the same sizes there is allot of competition aswell wich lowers the price even more
I use Vredestein Sportrac 3 tires, very very good grip in the dry but there even more impressive in the wet/damp/moist conditions (10000x better than toyo's t1r in these conditions).
The toyo's are probably a bit better on the dry but for an allrounder the vredesteins are outstanding and definatelly get my vote !

The Vredesteins are probably a bit more uncommen in the UK but here thet are rather popular (bang for buck = realy realy good)
Got 4 of these in 195/45/16 for 300 Euros (260 pounds ?) a few months back.

Check : http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

Last edited:
  1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v
I agree the amount of fun you have with these cars is partially due too some good tires.
Also due to the average size of the alloys we use on these cars the tires are not that expensive at all to begin with.
And due to the high amount of cars that use the same sizes there is allot of competition aswell wich lowers the price even more
I use Vredestein Sportrac 3 tires, very very good grip in the dry but there even more impressive in the wet/damp/moist conditions (10000x better than toyo's t1r in these conditions).
The toyo's are probably a bit better on the dry but for an allrounder the vredesteins are outstanding and definatelly get my vote !

The Vredesteins are probably a bit more uncommen in the UK but here thet are rather popular (bang for buck = realy realy good)
Got 4 of these in 195/45/16 for 300 Euros (260 pounds ?) a few months back.

Check : http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

I find T1Rs only ever work well on longer chassis' like coupes/sports saloons. Never really put them on hatches.

Clio 1.2 16V
When I bought my car it came with ditch finders and only 3 of them were the same! They were alright in the dry, apart from the increased noise. It was in the wet they were a complete joke, wheels span with little effort, ABS kicked in under hard braking even at low speeds and just slid round corners.

Fitted some Michellin PE2s after I got bored of the lack of grip! The difference is huge, wouldn't fit budget tyres on any car especially as some of the cheapo ones are shocking in the wet. Not really worth the risk.

Toms_clio

ClioSport Club Member
  TRACK CAR BREAKING
Tyres are the only thing keeping the car on the road!I've always used premium tyres when getting new ones and makes a huge difference in stopping handling and ride comfort!

172 Race Car
This!

I've seen people throwing hundreds, sometimes thousands of pounds at high-end suspension, only to combine it with poor tyres! :nono:
A customer of mine needed a tyre for his Focus RS, took him to kwik fit (only place open at 4pm on a sunday) whilst we were waiting to be served he was telling me he'd spent £5k on engine mods and it had 350bhp. It had loads of other mods too, suspension, brakes etc. When the bloke told him the price of a tyre he said. Im not paying that, whats the cheapest youve got :S ended up with some randon thing youve never heard of at about half the price of a goodyear

172 Race Car
See I always thought budgets aren't that bad if your a pauper.. until
I recently did a wet trackday and the pretty much brand new silverstone tyres were unbelievably bad just span as soon as you touched the throttle!

I also had a set of get me home wheels with Michelin PE2's on the markers so I thought I'd try them as they couldn't be any worse..

The difference was staggering even though they were on the limit of legal the amount of grip and feedback was in a different league!

Never using budgets again after that!
had a similar 'seeing the light' moment myself years ago. The wife never beleived it untill we bought a fiesta with 'new tyres' on it. Dry roads were fine, its 55bhp wasnt enough to bother it. But when it rained you could not use the brake pedal. It just locked up solid. I swapped then for a part worn odd set of decent brand tyres, none of witch had more than 3mm on them and she was amazed next time it rained.

Budgets are dangerous

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
tbh i never have had a problem them. Its only been the last few years since ive had decent tyres (having 2 kids etc) my current tyres cost over £600 for 4 :dapprove:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
With all due respect to the OP I never really understand the reasoning behind these threads... If you are getting a warm/hot-hatch (or anything with 'more-than-average' performance) then you really should also be getting tyres that are 'more-than-average' performance. At the end of the day it's only those 4 palm-sized pieces of rubber between you and the road and those same 4 palm-sized pieces of rubber that play a major part in how well the car stops (and go's during acceleration). Tyres are not the things to save money on in my opinion. And, of course, that is my opinion so... :D

Well timed thread, as I could do with new tyres soon and don't want ditchfinders!

Anything mid range, that'll last a lot of miles (I do 15k+ a year), so don't want to buy new ones every 3 months. That are still an alright tyre?

RS6 C7
Well timed thread, as I could do with new tyres soon and don't want ditchfinders!

Anything mid range, that'll last a lot of miles (I do 15k+ a year), so don't want to buy new ones every 3 months. That are still an alright tyre?

Continental conti sport contacts.

PB Clio 172
people say budgets are dangerous but like someone has already said it depends how you drive on them

I have budgets on the back of my Clio (the car came with them btw) I have done over 15k on them and I have 6-7mm left on them ! That to me is a good tyre yes course there is better but I would say they are far from dangerous. I know they are budget so don't push it on them !

Would I buy budget tyres? No I would not

LOL at the guy with the focus RS :rolleyes:

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
With the upcoming winter and the price of them you really can't beat Uniroyal Rainsport2's

With the upcoming winter and the price of them you really can't beat Uniroyal Rainsport2's

Had a full set on a 2.2 prelude, really very good tyres! Couldn't believe the speed I could carry in the rain, they work exceptionally well!

Listerine & Poledo
Back in the days that I had a diesel Corsa I'd sling any old s**t on the wheels.

I never crashed or had a problem.

For a 1.2 Clio or similar, the story will probably be the same.

M2 Comp
With all due respect to the OP I never really understand the reasoning behind these threads... If you are getting a warm/hot-hatch (or anything with 'more-than-average' performance) then you really should also be getting tyres that are 'more-than-average' performance. At the end of the day it's only those 4 palm-sized pieces of rubber between you and the road and those same 4 palm-sized pieces of rubber that play a major part in how well the car stops (and go's during acceleration). Tyres are not the things to save money on in my opinion. And, of course, that is my opinion so... :D

The tyres that are on the car are budgets, yes, but they are also practically brand new. I wanted to know whether I would see a worthwhile difference in changing them or if I was better off keeping £300/400 for something else.

To be honest with you, I've only ever kept cars for a relatively short amount of time/done low miles in them so never needed to replace a tyre (really!). And with this car, I've only experienced it with budgets, so part of me wondered if it was just the characteristics of the car that were to blame.

If the tyres had NEEDED replacing then there would be no question about it and I would buy the best I could afford.

Evidently from what people have said it's worth changing them despite the lack of use and I have decided to go for the Yokohama Prada Spec 2's.

Ph2 172 Track Toy
Tyres are everything to a car. Get some good stuff on and put the ditch finders on eBay. I've just done that and got £60 for some part worn Hankooks.

It's a different car on the AD08s

Clio 172 Cup
Falken 912's, got them on the family wagon, granted its not a 200bhp hatch but a 125bhp tank.

Excellent wet and dry grip levels.

For the price, win win.

182, 6r GTi
pilot sport 3s best tyres iv had fantastic in the wet all be it pricey id never think twice about buying them again

tyres ive also run
falken 452
toyo t1r
toyo r888
federal rsr

all which i find a bit edgy in the wet toyo t1r are verry poor in the wet

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
The tyres that are on the car are budgets, yes, but they are also practically brand new. I wanted to know whether I would see a worthwhile difference in changing them or if I was better off keeping £300/400 for something else.

To be honest with you, I've only ever kept cars for a relatively short amount of time/done low miles in them so never needed to replace a tyre (really!). And with this car, I've only experienced it with budgets, so part of me wondered if it was just the characteristics of the car that were to blame.

If the tyres had NEEDED replacing then there would be no question about it and I would buy the best I could afford.

Evidently from what people have said it's worth changing them despite the lack of use and I have decided to go for the Yokohama Prada Spec 2's.
Just to make one thing clear, I wasn't having a dig or questioning your reasoning/doubts... just giving my opinion. To put my reply in a more concise form (and basing it on my own personal experience and circumstance) I would replace the budgets with something decent regardless of how new the tyres were/are and even if I only intended to have the car a short time. :D But that is based on the fact that I like to 'enjoy' the car and is the whole reason I bought it. :D Cheers.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
A customer of mine needed a tyre for his Focus RS, took him to kwik fit (only place open at 4pm on a sunday) whilst we were waiting to be served he was telling me he'd spent £5k on engine mods and it had 350bhp. It had loads of other mods too, suspension, brakes etc. When the bloke told him the price of a tyre he said. Im not paying that, whats the cheapest youve got :S ended up with some randon thing youve never heard of at about half the price of a goodyear

That is actually insane. Will never understand that mentality.

Happens all the time where i work. So many decent hot hatches/decent powered cars come in and leave with the cheapest of the cheap tyres.

I think tyre prices go up so often it scares people. Bare in mind it's usually a year at least between changes for most people, the price changes in that time and seems ridiculous. About 4years ago got 4 15" Avon Zz3 or Zv3 (can't remember which), fitted, balanced blah blah for £47 a corner, happy days. Took a couple years to wear them out, phoned again, same tyres were £80?!
Almost double. Straight away I said no and looked for something else, was more the shock of it!!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Personally it wouldn't bother me if the price has gone up, still wouldn't settle for budgets.

Usually the price has crept up because its coming from whichever supplier has stock at the time.

I understand that could be annoying if one week its £60 a tyre and next its £70 but it's just one of those things.

Personally it wouldn't bother me if the price has gone up, still wouldn't settle for budgets.

Usually the price has crept up because its coming from whichever supplier has stock at the time.

I understand that could be annoying if one week its £60 a tyre and next its £70 but it's just one of those things.

Yeah definitely true, didn't stop me going for good tyres, just couldn't believe the difference.
I've got 3 good mates at three different tyre suppliers now, so get a heads up on promotional prices/loss leaders which has helped a couple of times when needing tyres.
Still hate spending out, although a nice, new and aggressive tread pattern is always nice to see!!

PB Clio 172
I think tyre prices go up so often it scares people. Bare in mind it's usually a year at least between changes for most people, the price changes in that time and seems ridiculous. About 4years ago got 4 15" Avon Zz3 or Zv3 (can't remember which), fitted, balanced blah blah for £47 a corner, happy days. Took a couple years to wear them out, phoned again, same tyres were £80?!
Almost double. Straight away I said no and looked for something else, was more the shock of it!!

god help you in the wet when you had Avon ZZ3 :eek: shocking tyre ! Not cheap either

Mini Cooper S
god help you in the wet when you had Avon ZZ3 :eek: shocking tyre ! Not cheap either

Lol I can vouch for that. Excellent dry grip, shocking wet grip and not so great wear...

Has anyone tried BF Goodrich recently? Apparently they've brought out a couple of decent performance tyres and they're made by Michelin I'm told?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Lol I can vouch for that. Excellent dry grip, shocking wet grip and not so great wear...

Has anyone tried BF Goodrich recently? Apparently they've brought out a couple of decent performance tyres and they're made by Michelin I'm told?

Been done by Michelin for a while.

The G force Profilers are their mid range tyres, haven't really heard much feedback on them to be honest.

Good price range though for the sizes they are available in.

Clio tce
Spend what you can afford but get the best possible. Falcon, are a good vfm mo. Tyres are probably the most important part of the car...

The Avons were only on a D-Turbo Hdi, though it was mapped out, but wasn't really a weapon. Did have bags of torque though and handled pretty well with them on... Was a bit loose in the wet though now you mention it...!

Got some BF Goodrich Profiler (2's I think?) on the Civic Type R at the minute, full set. Lovely tread pattern, not much road noise and actually it sticks like s**t to a blanket considering they didn't cost the earth...
The Mrs drives it, not very fast, they had positive enough reviews and got a very good deal at the time!

phase 2 172
My last car, a GSI Vectra came with a brand new set of Fullrun tyres fitted when I bought it. I was driving along a dual carriageway way in the rain one day, in a perfect straight line, road was not flooded by any means, a tiny stream was flowing from a junction and ran across a bit of the carriageway. I went through it at 60mph and the Vectra swapped lanes! I practically 5.hit myself. Needless to say a set of hankook ventus were fitted and I was well impressed with them. Still budget but i have used them before and quite rate them.