ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

budget polisher?? any suggestions neeed one asap

soon to be 182 ;)
so what actually is the problem with these cheap ones not working? surely it is the pads that are the problem not machine?

so what actually is the problem with these cheap ones not working? surely it is the pads that are the problem not machine?

Nope, the other way around lad. The machines don't have the power/torque to build the required heat to make the polishes break down. Therefore the polishes don't work, regardless of the pads.

soon to be 182 ;)
hmm fair point, i only wanna just get rid of some swirl marks not mega into detailing, prob would be if i had the time and money

Mondeo diesel barge
I'll be selling a DAS-6 at the weekend (Once I've photos and the like). Just don't use it now I've got the mondeo.

Anyway to stay on track, don't bother with the cheapy crap from halfrauds, the DAS-6 or G220 would be best for someone new to machine polishing.

Golf GTD Mk7
The silverline is a great bit of kit for the money. It is harder to use though as it has a habbit of running away from you on the panels depending on the curves. DA are much easier, but you'll not get as good results and it takes longer to use it. you'll not burn through the paint that easily. So long as you're patient, and don't put too much pressure on it you'll be fine.

soon to be 182 ;)
I'll be selling a DAS-6 at the weekend (Once I've photos and the like). Just don't use it now I've got the mondeo.

Anyway to stay on track, don't bother with the cheapy crap from halfrauds, the DAS-6 or G220 would be best for someone new to machine polishing.

how much for the das-6???

Ive got a blue silverline, Only really used it for small panels and scratch repair,

I havent had time to do a full car but have the girlfriends car and grandfathers car to practice on soon

Is quite heavy and not a particularly slow start, but its done a fair bit of work for me well.

172 RS Ph1
Id say go with a DAS6-PRO (the 880 watt version) if you just want to do it right the first time.

Altho, the 30 quid D/A polishers will not give you the same results as the DAS-6's, but they have a 450watt motor which is enough to break down Poorboys SSR2 or Meguiars M105/205 or Menzerna/Monello.
It will not give you the same correction as a more expensive DAS, but if you just don't want to spend a lot on a polisher and your standards are not that high, they are actually a pretty good alternative :) (for the regular joe).

See this topic on detailing world for more info:
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=83874&page=1

Ofcourse, when you really get "into detailing" there are much, much better options..

Id say go with a DAS6-PRO (the 880 watt version) if you just want to do it right the first time.

Altho, the 30 quid D/A polishers will not give you the same results as the DAS-6's, but they have a 450watt motor which is enough to break down Poorboys SSR2 or Meguiars M105/205 or Menzerna/Monello.
It will not give you the same correction as a more expensive DAS, but if you just don't want to spend a lot on a polisher and your standards are not that high, they are actually a pretty good alternative :) (for the regular joe).

See this topic on detailing world for more info:
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=83874&page=1

Ofcourse, when you really get "into detailing" there are much, much better options..

They actually don't polish. Their intended use is actually the removal of filler polishes and LSPs.

What makes it that they not polish JD?

The lack of heat build up to break down the polish and the lack of torque from the motors. This means they just bog down when any sort of pressure is applied, usually ending up in the motors burning out.

soon to be 182 ;)
The lack of heat build up to break down the polish and the lack of torque from the motors. This means they just bog down when any sort of pressure is applied, usually ending up in the motors burning out.

surely they are still better than polishing by hand?

172 RS Ph1
SRP is a filler heavy product and won't actually really polish. I'd say go for poorboys SSR 2 with a lake country white (or orange) hand pad to polish with if you really want to remove some swirls. Top that with a filler heavy glaze like ClearKote Red Moose Machine Glaze or Poorboys Black Hole (or super resin polish) to hide the rest of the imperfections, since hand polishing wont give you a 100% flawless result.

@JD-> I've got donated a cheap polisher like we discussed above and will try it out some time, so i can speak from first hand experience. On Detailing World they seem to be less sceptical though.

soon to be 182 ;)
SRP is a filler heavy product and won't actually really polish. I'd say go for poorboys SSR 2 with a lake country white (or orange) hand pad to polish with if you really want to remove some swirls. Top that with a filler heavy glaze like ClearKote Red Moose Machine Glaze or Poorboys Black Hole (or super resin polish) to hide the rest of the imperfections, since hand polishing wont give you a 100% flawless result.

@JD-> I've got donated a cheap polisher like we discussed above and will try it out some time, so i can speak from first hand experience. On Detailing World they seem to be less sceptical though.

ok is there any polishes that i would get from halfrauds that are better than srp? i cant be bothered to wait on postage. i have some meguires scratch x but this is a bit abrasive isnt it?

ok thanks jd, is ag srp a good polish to use as a beginner then?

SRP as said above is a filler polish. It does still polish as it contains cutting particles. However, it is by no mean a swirl corrector, more a masker of.

I agree, but have personal preference to Menzerna 203s with the same hand pads :)

I am very happy to have my scepticisms put to rest lad :)

ok is there any polishes that i would get from halfrauds that are better than srp? i cant be bothered to wait on postage. i have some meguires scratch x but this is a bit abrasive isnt it?

No, sadly. SRP is the only one. There are others out there, but none of them will safely remove swirls.

Megs Scratch X and Scratch Xii is far too abrasive, even by hand, for swirl correction.

172 RS Ph1
If you would have ordered today, it should have arrived probably the 1st or 2nd of december already!
Id say do it right and get a good hand polish from a detailing shop and not halfords, otherwise just stick with the SRP.

@JD-> Since my English isn't what it should be, i don't understand what "scepticisms put to rest lad" means, but seeing the smiley next to it I take it as a nice comment lol :)

soon to be 182 ;)
If you would have ordered today, it should have arrived probably the 1st or 2nd of december already!
Id say do it right and get a good hand polish from a detailing shop and not halfords, otherwise just stick with the SRP.

im gonna stick to srp for now and see how i get on