ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bucket seats and harnesses and back seat use

1.2 Authentique
Sorry if this has already been asked or if i have posted this in the wrong place this is my first time.

Ok, so i have recently bought a renault clio 2005 and i am wanting to install bucket seats, i am also looking at harnesses for them however i am still wanting use of the back seat. If anyone knows if this is possible and how i would be very greatful. Also if this is not possible then what about normal seatbelts with bucket seats?
Much thanks.

Not possible really mate normal seat belts will be ok but to use the back seats you will need reclining bucket seats.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
You wont be able to have harnesses in use all the time if you want to use the rear seats still.

You can use seatbelts with **Some** Bucket seats (I use them currently with my Bimarco's)

You will loose the use of the rear seats unless you get hold of reclining / Tilt bucket seats such as the Recaro Trendline seats.

1.2 Authentique
So if i keep normal seat belts in and use reclining bucket seats, then i can still use the back seat?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
So if i keep normal seat belts in and use reclining bucket seats, then i can still use the back seat?

Yes (You need to be able to move the seat far enough forward to allow acess to the rear seats hence the need for a reclining / tilt bucket seat) The Clio Trophy uses Tilting Recaros with Seat belts as standard -

41940643.jpg

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
I still have the rear seats/belts in mine, as well as fixed bckets/harnesses, so if a passenger can get into the rear they're more than happy to use them ...

DSC04020.jpg

no you dont! (well not in that picture because i can see the bare metal of the rear!)

usually you mount the harnesses to the rear seat belt mounts, so how have you got around this??

its an MOT fail to have seats with no belts, and belts with no seats,
i thought for an MOT there had to be adequate access to the rear seats if they were present, but i might be wrong.

TBH, if i had bucket seats and harnesses and still kept the rear seats,
i was very reluctant to taking people in the back because what is supposed to have in the event of a collison, it will potentially leave people trapped in back of the car!

Clio & Mini
I rang demon tweeks about this and the guy said to me that I could have reclining seats with 4 point harnesses and keep my rear seats in working order as well! Is this impossible then, because I am thinking of purchasing some new seats and harnesses soon!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
im really interested in how this could work,

because to mount the harnesses correctly, youre meant to use the rear seatbelt anchor points,
which means you can no longer anchor the seats there,

plus passengers would have to climb through and sit in between the harnesses lol

Can you have a 3 point harness and mount the rear harness to the rear seatbelt mount and just use the other side as normal?

172/1.2/E30
It is possible: You'll need tilting subframes and buckets that are allowed to use with standard belts (Recaro PP) and for spirited driving without passengers in the back you could clip some harnesses in. Much hassle though.

You can get harnesses with a buckle in the back strap.
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/harnesses/sabelt-3-point-double-release-harness-with-free-harness-pads

I'm planning on fitting them whilst keeping the existing belts in the front, so if I ever needed the rear seats, I can just undo the rear buckle so its not in the way of the passenger in the rear, and just use my standard belt. Rather than removing the standard belts in place of the harness, I'll have the option for both.
I'm just going to mount the harnesses in the same place the pretensioner/lower seatbelt mount point are bolted in, just replacing the bolts for eye bolts possibly (although they're not UNF size)