ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broken spring - suggested replacement for OEM ride height?

Iceberg 172
A chunk of a front (I think) spring dropped off this morning as I set off for work. Haven't had time to check it out yet. Car is a 172 on standard suspension.

I want to replace the springs with better quality than OEM if possible without spending silly money, but don't want to go down the whole lowering route to protect ride comfort as much of my driving is through potholed and speed-bumped city streets.

What are the recommended options for replacing standard springs?

First person to suggest an Eibach lowering kit or such like gets an e-slap!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Iceberg 172
I'm confused. As you can tell, I know nothing about suspension setups......

Every link I can find for Eibach Pros gives me the Pro-Kit which has a 30mm drop....??

Am I missing something? (Probably...)

RB 182
The Eibachs never seem to lower them anywhere near the stated drop tbh. I just fitted Sportlines to mine and they're nowhere near the stated drop...thank god lol! This CS advice is good advice.

Iceberg 172
Thanks Martin - looks like a decent solution. So these are lowering springs, just not by much?

RB 182
Yeah pretty much. IIRC, only from what I have read on here mind, is that you'll be lucky to see a 10mm drop on Prolines.

PH1 172 Sport
The Prolines do the lower the car but not by allot. It's more noticeable on the rear. They sharpen the handling up quite nicely too.

Iceberg 172
The Prolines do the lower the car but not by allot. It's more noticeable on the rear. They sharpen the handling up quite nicely too.

Excellent - that will do the job. I can cope with a small drop.

Presumably Pro Kit is the same thing as Prolines....?

This advice is awful!!!

I have eibach sportlines on my cup - and it's only dropped about 5mm - looks the same

Which is fitting half of his criteria

But they are ROCK solid - and the prolines are even harder

He says his drive to work is full of potholes and speed bumps - so unless he wants a broken spine I'd just get standard 172 springs to replace

Iceberg 172
Fuzzy - from what I understand of the Pro Kit, the springs are a progressive design so are more compliant at low speed and firm up at high speed. I have read several other threads now and the general feedback is that ride comfort is little different to standard at slow speed. Also, they don't appear to drop the car by as much as the stated 30mm, so around half that will be fine.

I'm also a keen B-road blaster when I can so the extra control of the Pros would be most welcome.

I take your point, but all things considered I think I might give the Pros a go.

I thought prolines were the harder ones and sportline were the softer ones?

I'm sure prolines are black and stiffer? Could be wrong though *eek*

I'm confused... mine are red and are absolutely rock solid - with standard dampers

Iceberg 172
Pros are black, Sportlines are red. Found this elsewhere:

Some info for you:-
Eibach Pro Kit

Are you familiar with the concept of a progressive-rate spring design? It's the secret behind the Eibach Pro Kit lowering spring package, and the reason you can install an Eibach Pro Kit on your everyday driver without punishing yourself and all your passengers. Progressive-rate springs like those in the Eibach Pro Kit have different winding densities. What that means is that as the spring compresses, it becomes more resistant to compression. More simply put, with your Eibach Pro Kit, if you drive lightly, you'll get a smooth, comfortable ride. If you drive hard, you'll get a firm, controlled ride. The perfect balance, right? The Eibach Pro Kit also drops your car's stance from 1 to 1.5 inches or so, reducing the gap in your fenderwells and lowering your vehicle's center of gravity. That means that even when you're not using the Eibach Pro Kit to its full potential, you're still getting better handling from your new springs. Each Eibach Pro Kit is a full set of springs specifically tailored to your vehicle so installation goes smoothly and the quality is exceptional. In fact, Eibach gurantees their Eibach Pro Kit for a million miles. So if you've been thinking about lowering your car, do it the safe, easy, and cost effective way: Add an Eibach Pro Kit.
Eibach Sportline Springs

Eibach Sportline springs are the next step up after the Pro Kit in Eibach's performance suspension hierarchy. When compared to the Pro Kit, Eibach Sportline springs lower the car more significantly—up to 2.3 inches total, so your wheels are really tucked up into your wheelwells for a race car look. Even with this extreme degree of lowering, though, you don't lose ride quality because the Eibach Sportline springs utilize the same progressive spring design as the Pro Kit. Basically, it means that the Eibach Sportline springs don't flex their muscles until you ask them to. If you call upon your vehicle to deliver exceptional levels of handling performance, then Eibach Sportline springs are what you want to install. Acceleration squat, body roll, and braking dive are all nearly eliminated using Eibach Sportline springs, and you'll love the way your car sits when fitted with the larger wheels popular today. And since Eibach Sportline springs are part of the Eibach family of products, you get their famous million-mile warranty backing up your installation. For the ultimate drop without having to worry about parts quality, you only have one way to go: Eibach Sportline springs.

So maybe similar 'stiffness' but Sportlines are shorter -> lower.

RB 182
This advice is awful!!!

I have eibach sportlines on my cup - and it's only dropped about 5mm - looks the same

He says his drive to work is full of potholes and speed bumps - so unless he wants a broken spine I'd just get standard 172 springs to replace

Doesn't sound right then, as I just fitted mine and has dropped it a fair amount, and they're not that much harder than standard IMHO.

182 FF Inferno
Don't go through renault!! I had a broken spring on MOT day last. Due to it needing to be done that day, I went for genuine renault part.

It was something like £120!! For one spring!!

Cupped 182 FF
I think someone has hit the nail on the head there! Nice advice, think i might get them sport badbois!!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
If yours isn't a Cup then bang some Cup springs on..

Currently running that on mine and spot on..

And mega cheap ;)

Lionel Richie
pro and sportlines feel exactly the same to drive just the sportlines make it look lowered

pros it looks standard

This advice is awful!!!

LOL at this. None of the Eibach springs are rock solid, either your suspension is fubared or your expectations are wrong. Also, as others have said, Proline and Sportline are the same stiffness.

Well the shock absorbers are genuine cup ones and they were replaced 6k ago with brand new stuff from renault

The springs are eibach sportlines - but the car hasn't dropped much over standard (5-10mm maybe) and they are harsh!

My mate had the same ones too and then changed to coilovers and said the coilovers were loads softer

Maybe the cup dampers are a bit stiffer than non-cup ones, or maybe its because the cars 100kg lighter than a non-cup so it rides a bit harder on the springs

Either way - they're harsh

Lionel Richie
^you've got something going on there, either that or you have overly sensetive buttocks!

try apex for harsh! eibach are nearly on par with stock for ride comfort

Iceberg 172
Pros ordered - thanks for the information everyone :)

Eibach Pro-Kit ordered late on Monday from Motorsportworld - turned up at 8am this morning. Top service, £146 delivered.

Going for fitting tomorrow morning :)

Feedback to follow.....