ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broken Heart

VX220
I bought my car in march and for the first month or so i thought it was the bees knees. I knew i wanted a clio after being karted around in my girlfriends little 1.4. When i saw the 172 i knew thats what i was going to get and as my micra was slowly falling apart i was fortunate enough to get my car for my 21st from my folks. The clio really was completely different to the micra in every way. I love the way that people just think its a standard clio with a halfords sport badge on the back...but thats probably about it. Im not sure if its because i have been on a bike since 16 but the clio just feels 'slow'. To be fair its probably the quickest thing i could get insured on but i just dont get excited about driving it. I would rather use my bike all day long than drive the clio. Just before christmas i broke my ankle so havnt been able to drive, i have just managed to get my hands on a second hand rstuner kit in the hope that this could help me fall in love with my clio again. I could go down the route of spending a couple of grand on it and it will probably feel a bit more alive....but in the mean time im just going to save up for a new car ready for the summer.
When i see what other people have done to their cars i wish i had the enthusiasm to spend some more time and money on the clio in way of modding it to my taste. I guess that why i have a bike with an engine bigger than some clios out there (1200) the 172 will just feel a bit dull...or i will be able to drive in a couple of weeks and fall in love with it again.
rant over....had to get that off my chest and my folks will flip if they find out i dont really enjoy my car!

PH1 iceburg
It is nice to hear a different view rather that the " i love clio" usual ( i confess im the worlds worst for it). It may just be that the cars not for you. On the other hand sometimes (rare) but when my car is dirty and rattly i think do i need to update? but then when it is clean i love it again.

It may just be your time of the month and you are taking it out on your car LOL.

You could always buy another micra, surely it must feel a million times better.

VX220
lol the micra is still on the drive...i guess thats one thing that keeps me driving the clio, and the fact that the micra blew up last year. When im back on two feet i'll give it a good going over and see how i get on. Chris

320d
I think you need a good road, or a track day or something to help you fall in love with the car mate. However there is a chance its just not for you.

PH1 iceburg
Try getting youself to a meet near you, they are well organised around your neck of the woods. Maybe some clio love will rub off on ya

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I would be interested to know if you have had any other hot hatches and what you thought of them.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
I wonder if you'd had to fork out for the car yourself you'd perhaps appreciate it more?

I wish mummy and daddy had bought me a car when i was growing up :clown:

VX220
^^^ ha dont think thats really the point mate. I pay for all the running costs etc

I have been to one meet and the guys are sound and had a great time. Maybe i'll try and sort out a track day. thruxton isnt a million miles away.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
It wasn't ever going to be as much of a thrill as a bike to be fair (or so i'm told. Not sure myself, what with me not being a mentalist :p)

VX220
this is true, the its the thrill you get from the bike that makes it addictive. I dont just mean going fast, i have already sold my sports bike because i had enough of that.
I dont think i can sell up just yet as in this weather im not really prepared to just use the bike. I'll probably wait until june when my insurance runs out.

172 ph1
In terms of "oneness" with your machine, I don't think there are many cars that can approach what a bike feels like.

A car's simply much heavier. It is however safer and can probably corner faster :dunno:

Having driven various cars, I must say that even the standard 172 is quite nice in terms of the chassis responsiveness, although you can improve on it with add on bits of course.

Have you driven a kart perhaps? A kart's feel is probably as "connected" as a vehicle on 4 wheels can get, and what sportscars strive to feel like

Monaco RS Clio 172
I was head over heels with my clio for months and the feeling went numb after my mother took it into a field

but the other night after starting my new job and realising in less than a month I can fix it and have it better than it was previously.. I am in love again! spirited driving tonight on the way home proved this much

glad I am not out of love and neglecting it

needs new front bumper and bonnet so long way to go yet anyways

if anyone spots a monaco 172 with a broken front bumper and ripply bonnet - that is me.

dx52 ***

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Learn how to go round corners properly in your car and you will appreciate it more ;) just out of interest, were you at the ring last July, you could have been one of the bikers getting in my way in the twisties :rasp:

PS. I had a cup, so you probably wont get to experience that in your 'normal' 172 he he

Coilovers and low tank of fresh Super Unleaded is what you need.

My love affair has lasted 5 yrs albeit on a younger model now :p

Tbh, my test drive in the Vayron left me feeling it was slow. Told the sales man to stick it.

So the search continues... for a 172 cup.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Have you done much B-road driving in the Clio mate? That's where these cars excel in everyday situations. The right roads and you don't even have to get above 40/50, nor accelerate particularly heavily in order to get the love back.

If you're a proper biker then I can't imagine many cars are going to excite you that much... maybe you'd be better off with a cheaper runaround?

Clio 182 FF Cup
You will be loving the Clio just seconds before your bike slips on some crap on the road (probably left by a farmer) and you paint a dry-wall red.

Italian 3.2 V6
I rekon you have a slow 172 and driving the bike is making the 172 feel even slower!

I'm getting the cool weird speed feeling back In my stomach these days as the roads are drying up!

TBF mate, i drove a ph2 172 and wasnt overly excited about it.

When i drove my PH1 172 i knew it was different and more raw than the PH2.

More fun drive, as said try a drive in a PH1 or a 182.

You'll notcie a difference.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
At the end of the day, they are quick, but aren't supercars.

Bit unfair comparing it to your bike though.

VX220
Ha james your too kind!
Well a bit of an update...
This week i have been able to drive my car for the first time in 10 weeks and i definitely feel like i want to get back in it more so than before.
I have added the maps with the rstuner and ordered some sportline springs so hopefully not all will be lost. Just have to wait until my ankle is at full strength so i can drive the car a bit harder.

320d
TBF mate, i drove a ph2 172 and wasnt overly excited about it.

When i drove my PH1 172 i knew it was different and more raw than the PH2.

More fun drive, as said try a drive in a PH1 or a 182.

You'll notcie a difference.

I've heard this also, its this reason why I will be going for a ph1 172, and they're cheaper than a 172 cup lol

Wish the ph1's had a nicer interior though :( only let down on them for me, well the rear bumper isnt great either.

RS Clio 172 Ph1
I drive a 172 Phase 1 and to be honest don't feel it fast in a straight line, but get it on some twisty B Roads and the fun begins. Give it a whirl!