ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Small update. Seeing as Mrs northloopcup hasn't been feeling to chipper of late, no progress has been made. She's on the mend now so I saw the opportunity to make a purchase!
I've ordered one of these:
image.png
I've ordered a black faced gauge ^ that's just for illustration purposes!
I've also ordered one of these:
image.jpeg
For those of you that don't know what it is, it's a magnetic sump plug. The magnets in these bad boys are stupidly strong, so they'll pick up all metallic particles in the oil. Probably should've bought one for the gearbox as well. Meh.

More to come.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
What spec Gold Plug did you get? Renault doesn't appear on their website.

EDIT: I see ''AP10'' refers to a specific plug. Is that the actual size to get?

@NorthloopCup I've got the same SPA gauge, yet to fit it or even plan to yet though! Will you be using a thermostatic sandwich plate for the readings?

where did you get the gold plug from please also? Just reminded me I need to order one myself for when I do an oil change.

Have you got one for the Gearbox too?

340i
Very nice.

I've got a set of SPA oil temp / oil pressure, boost pressure / water temp gauges to fit aswell :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@NorthloopCup I've got the same SPA gauge, yet to fit it or even plan to yet though! Will you be using a thermostatic sandwich plate for the readings?

where did you get the gold plug from please also? Just reminded me I need to order one myself for when I do an oil change.

Have you got one for the Gearbox too?
The sensors will be going into my take off plate, but it's not thermostatic. I don't need a thermostatic one with me running the laminova. The pressure sensor won't be hard mounted directly into the plate though as it can lead to premature failure of the sensor itself.

The gold plug came from opie oils mate. I never bothered with one for the gearbox mate. Wouldn't be a bad idea to fit one, but the big magnet in my gearbox was immaculately clean when the box was rebuilt, so it should pick up the majority of stuff.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Very nice.

I've got a set of SPA oil temp / oil pressure, boost pressure / water temp gauges to fit aswell :smile:
I'll be using the external led driver function more than the gauge itself mate tbh. Unless the gauge is directly within your line of sight, you never look at them until it's too late. Same principle for the shift light - it's in direct line of sight
image.jpeg
Just got to decide where to put the leds. I know the gauge has warning lights, but I need to see how bright they are first.

I'd happily pay for one of those plugs just to be rid of the stupid square drive! Will order one when I next get oil from Opie, cheers for the heads up.

The sensors will be going into my take off plate, but it's not thermostatic. I don't need a thermostatic one with me running the laminova. The pressure sensor won't be hard mounted directly into the plate though as it can lead to premature failure of the sensor itself.

The gold plug came from opie oils mate. I never bothered with one for the gearbox mate. Wouldn't be a bad idea to fit one, but the big magnet in my gearbox was immaculately clean when the box was rebuilt, so it should pick up the majority of stuff.

Oh yes of course you do!

Wish I lived nearer you. Would happily have paid you to fit my gauge and a shift light for me!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Any idea if megane dci175 are same plug before I do a change soon..

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Are you going to fit the gauge in the centre vent?
I thought about moving mine at the weekend, sat in the car looked at it and thought sod it can not be arsed lol.
I would not mind remote mounting my pressure sensor.
Do you know where you will be getting the fittings and pipe from, I struggled to find the correct fittings.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Are you going to fit the gauge in the centre vent?
I thought about moving mine at the weekend, sat in the car looked at it and thought sod it can not be arsed lol.
I would not mind remote mounting my pressure sensor.
Do you know where you will be getting the fittings and pipe from, I struggled to find the correct fittings.
I think so, but not sure atm. Need to see how it looks first. Tbh, it can sit in the glove box for me if the led drivers do the biz! I'm only interested in low oil pressure, so an idiot light is enough for me! Lol!

I'll be remote mounting mine the same way that @rich83 has done his mate. Having read the fitting instructions online, it does say you can use npt fittings with a bsp thread, so I'm going with it.
There's no fittings available that are the correct items unless you get something custom made.

340i
I'll be using the external led driver function more than the gauge itself mate tbh. Unless the gauge is directly within your line of sight, you never look at them until it's too late.

Exactly this. The information is nice, but you can't constantly monitor it while driving (Although I haven't drove it for 5 months LOL)!

The SPA gauges have some nice features... I am going to program high and low alarm settings for oil pressure and temperatures

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I think so, but not sure atm. Need to see how it looks first. Tbh, it can sit in the glove box for me if the led drivers do the biz! I'm only interested in low oil pressure, so an idiot light is enough for me! Lol!

I'll be remote mounting mine the same way that @rich83 has done his mate. Having read the fitting instructions online, it does say you can use npt fittings with a bsp thread, so I'm going with it.
There's no fittings available that are the correct items unless you get something custom made.

Thanks, I was hoping you had found all the correct fittings, I have thought about one of these but would like to use ally fittings and braided pipe.
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/oil-pressure-pipe-1-5m-op-15m

Clio 200

Good idea to remote mount, ignoring the practical benefits - aeroquip in the bay is always a win!! ;) Thread fit's like a charm though and no leaking at all since it was fitted last April. The only place I had to deviate was on the sensor fitment itself; a 1/8 NPT male to -4 JIC for the sandwhich plate is easy to find an adaptor for, it was just the -4 JIC male to 1/8 BSP female not so! Like it says though in the SPA manual the thread is fine for using in an NPT female and has proven to be so - note we used some ptfe and the dowty washer that comes with the sensor.

Got the gauge installed now too at long last! :) Though I assume the mk2 probably has different shape vent so maybe not as easy to put there?
IMAG0537-750x410.jpg

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Good idea to remote mount, ignoring the practical benefits - aeroquip in the bay is always a win!! :wink: Thread fit's like a charm though and no leaking at all since it was fitted last April. The only place I had to deviate was on the sensor fitment itself; a 1/8 NPT male to -4 JIC for the sandwhich plate is easy to find an adaptor for, it was just the -4 JIC male to 1/8 BSP female not so! Like it says though in the SPA manual the thread is fine for using in an NPT female and has proven to be so - note we used some ptfe and the dowty washer that comes with the sensor.

Got the gauge installed now too at long last! :smile: Though I assume the mk2 probably has different shape vent so maybe not as easy to put there?
IMAG0537-750x410.jpg
I think I'll be using -3 on mine tbh mate. That's what I've used before and you can get all the fittings.
I'm also a bling whore when it comes to anodised fittings! Just not a fan of the blingy stainless hose. I'll be getting the black fabric covered stuff.
I'll be fitting mine using the same method as well with regard to the npt/bsp. Good to know that you used ptfe tape and the doughty washer too.

The vents on the mk2 are square, but shouldn't take much to modify. The worst job is removing the dash top because of how the cage passes through!! Arsehole of a job tbqfh.

Clio 200
Yeah I would prefer black/gold fittings and black stainless hose now - but as I bought all the stainless hose and blue/red fittings long ago to go in my blue S2 Rallye (but never got around to fitting), I wasn't buying it all again! You can't actually see any of it in the engine bay anyway as it's down by the block and the various rad hoses and airfeeds run over the top of it all blocking it from sight.

Got my catch tank to plumb in next and will for an go all black fitting on the tank (gold Mocal - such a good match for LY paint :D!) but use regular black socketless hose as otherwise it's a ballache to sort the breather end.. so that'll look 'normal' for all intents and purposes. So the real quandary will be if I ever need to do anything with the fuel lines, guess I'll probably stick with red/blue and stainless hose for the consistency :\

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Not really an update, but this has arrived:
image.jpeg
along with this:
image.jpeg
Still not decided 100% where I'm fitting it at the minute. As long as I can see what the oil pressure is doing when I start it up for the first time I'm not too fussed! Lol!
It turns out that Spa Automotive are literally less than 10 minutes away from where I live, so today I went over to pick up some terminals for the plug so I can run my external idiot lights, sorry, led warning lights!!

Had a good long chat with the guy there about how to mount the sensor to reduce the risk of premature failure and a few other things. The other thing being Penske suspension. They can basically do anything I want for the cup!! This could well mean waving ta ta to the asts. Cost is what it is, so we shall see what the future holds!

More to come.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I spoke to the one bloke at SPA when I thought my gauge was faulty and he was really helpful and replying to emails at 8 pm, he was even going to stop a bit later one night so I could take my car over to him to have a look at the issue and test the gauge.
:up: customer service, don't get that with cheap ebay stuff.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I spoke to the one bloke at SPA when I thought my gauge was faulty and he was really helpful and replying to emails at 8 pm, he was even going to stop a bit later one night so I could take my car over to him to have a look at the issue and test the gauge.
:up: customer service, don't get that with cheap ebay stuff.
Yeah totally agree mate! I emailed yesterday when the gauge turned up and they'd replied this morning!