ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Morning sports fans! A little update for the weekend!!

So who can remember these rather shitty looking brembos?
image.jpeg
Well as promised they've had a little bit of a revamp!!
They've been spot faced where the bolts tighten down to, machined 2.5mm on the base to allow for a 295mm disc and also had a small lick taken off the face where the brembo sticker goes. This was done to just give an extra bit of clearance, mainly for the superleggeras.
image.jpeg
I had them all blasted back to bare aluminium and gave them a good dose of etch primer. After that it was time for a splash of colour!

VERY pleased with how these have turned out. You may recognise the colour from earlier on in the thread as its the same colour that's on the block and gearbox casing. This was thanks to @not normal dan being a total legend and suggesting the theme!!
image.jpeg
Picture doesn't do the finish justice tbf - trust me, there's a lot of shine on these. They've had a dose of high temp lacquer to seal the brembo stickers and make them a bit more hard wearing.
Next up we have tyres. Of the sticky variety....
image.jpeg
I've been waiting for these to hit the uk for quite a few months now. I've opted for the new R888R in 205/45/16. I was originally going to get the kumho v70a's, but with all the hoo ha about the tyre labelling horse s**t, I decided on these as they're e marked and road legal - just so happens that works out ideal for a bit of TF action at the Nurburgring.

More to come. :up:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Those calipers look epic. Interested to hear your thoughts on the R888R too!
Cheers mate. Well I think you'll be waiting a while for me to do a review tbh, but from what I've heard they are s**t hot. Much better than the old R888.

Calipers look great Mark, but get the bloody engine done!
I know I know!! Lol! Got some other stuff on that's requiring my attention, but hopefully in the new year I'll be free to get back on it full time.

nath&alex

ClioSport Club Member
The 7075 alloy to make the brackets for our rear brake setup is here :cool: Cut the lengths roughly to the right size with the bandsaw
image.jpeg

An arty farty photo
image.jpeg

The weight of these two pieces of alloy before we machine them to within an inch of their lives to make some lovely brackets :stig: That's grams before anyone asks!!
image.jpeg

Clio 200
Any updates over the festive break? :)

Sorely tempted to bung some R3 230 cams in mine so I'm extra eager now to see what yours makes and the shape of the curve etc ;)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Any updates over the festive break? :smile:

Sorely tempted to bung some R3 230 cams in mine so I'm extra eager now to see what yours makes and the shape of the curve etc :wink:
Afraid not mate. It's still in the same place as it was when I last posted any progress updates.

I'll be restarting progress February time I think. Got a few gearbox jobs that are priority over the cup atm.

Clio 200
nay mind, I wasn't holding my breath ;)

Look forward to when you can finally crank this beast over though. I may have asked already and probably forgotten, but when you built the engine did you dial gauge the timing to check or just rely on the horseshoe? Reason I'm swaying towards R3 cams now is I'm expecting the machining and tolerance to be much better and hopefully not need dial gauging and thus expensive labour, as my desire to carry on sinking a small fortune on this car is dwindling presently (hopefully it's just the winter blues!!) especially when it's repeat purchases :(

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
nay mind, I wasn't holding my breath :wink:

Look forward to when you can finally crank this beast over though. I may have asked already and probably forgotten, but when you built the engine did you dial gauge the timing to check or just rely on the horseshoe? Reason I'm swaying towards R3 cams now is I'm expecting the machining and tolerance to be much better and hopefully not need dial gauging and thus expensive labour, as my desire to carry on sinking a small fortune on this car is dwindling presently (hopefully it's just the winter blues!!) especially when it's repeat purchases 😧
Dialled in on the standard marks mate as per the R3 build manual.
They did however, do fancy pants timing in the R3 access models apparently - or at least there's a tool available to alter the timing. Similar to the Grp n cam timing I imagine, so you get improved mid range punch.

Clio 200
Cool, hopefully the cams are ground better and more consistently than Cat's hence v.tempted by them right now. Should go nicely in a spare big valve head and then just call it f'ing quits frankly!
yeah I've seen the Access has a tool like the grp N in the parts catalogue, but the 2 Maxi R3's both use the normal item. Actually I've only got the R3 Maxi Evo engine manual and that uses dial gauges because of course you need to shim the solids... could you send me the normal R3 build manual please? :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Cool, hopefully the cams are ground better and more consistently than Cat's hence v.tempted by them right now. Should go nicely in a spare big valve head and then just call it f'ing quits frankly!
yeah I've seen the Access has a tool like the grp N in the parts catalogue, but the 2 Maxi R3's both use the normal item. Actually I've only got the R3 Maxi Evo engine manual and that uses dial gauges because of course you need to shim the solids... could you send me the normal R3 build manual please? :smile:
I wouldn't waste my money or time on a big valve head personally mate, but that's up to you! I know the oe valves will flow enough for the power that we are aiming for.
Yeah the maxi evo will need dialling in and setting up for the shims.

I'll do you a swap! :wink: I'll send you the maxi manual in return for the maxi evo manual. :up: What's your email?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Can I have both manuals please chaps? Would be interesting to see.

I don't really have anything to swap except my gratitude lol.

172 Turbo
I walked into your garage today and noticed the Brembo's, then I noticed the exhaust manifold p**n, then the intake...

I think at some point you explained about gearboxes but I was possibly checking out your bits.

Sorry.

nath&alex

ClioSport Club Member
Well for those that don't read my thread yesterday I gave an update on Mark and my uprated rear brake assembly. Well after development and 3D print the time has come to start making bits
The machinist started making the stub axles yesterday as can be seen in my thread. Here in Marks thread you see the finishing stages
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I was that excited that when I left work I had to go straight round and pick them up. So here are the finished uprated stub axles made from EN24T. Don't tell the boss I took pictures of them on her Granite work tops!!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Note the differences between a standard 182 stub axle and ours
image.jpeg

Finally for giggles I though I'd weigh them see what the difference in weight was. Here is the 182 stub axle 853grams
image.jpeg

Now the EN24T uprated stub axle
image.jpeg

Immensely stronger and 48g lighter, I have some of that thank you. A leightweight 7075 caliper bracket to go with it and there will be a healthy reduction in weight compared to standard. Not sure what the weight difference is in the new disc though?? I'm sure it'll be slightly heavier than the 182 disc

Anyway I hope you like I know @NorthloopCup does :cool::up::stig:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Well for those that don't read my thread yesterday I gave an update on Mark and my uprated rear brake assembly. Well after development and 3D print the time has come to start making bits
The machinist started making the stub axles yesterday as can be seen in my thread. Here in Marks thread you see the finishing stages
View attachment 144770
View attachment 144771

I was that excited that when I left work I had to go straight round and pick them up. So here are the finished uprated stub axles made from EN24T. Don't tell the boss I took pictures of them on her Granite work tops!!
View attachment 144772 View attachment 144773 View attachment 144775

View attachment 144774

Finally for giggles I though I'd weigh them see what the difference in weight was. Here is the 182 stub axle 853grams
View attachment 144778
Now the EN24T uprated stub axle
View attachment 144779

Immensely stronger and 48g lighter, I have some of that thank you. A leightweight 7075 caliper bracket to go with it and there will be a healthy reduction in weight compared to standard. Not sure what the weight difference is in the new disc though?? I'm sure it'll be slightly heavier than the 182 disc

Anyway I hope you like I know @NorthloopCup does :cool::up::stig:
They look f**king awesome mate! Very much looking forward to getting these fitted!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
They look very good. Apologies if I'm asking a silly question, but what disc/bearing will be used with these?

View attachment 144774

I love the idea and I love the have a go attitude, but I REALLY don't like the way the most important machining features are missing in the new ones, there is almost no radius at the section changes which will cause fatigue cracking issues in time. I'd personally bin this batch and do them again with the same radii as the existing axles.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I love the idea and I love the have a go attitude, but I REALLY don't like the way the most important machining features are missing in the new ones, there is almost no radius at the section changes which will cause fatigue cracking issues in time. I'd personally bin this batch and do them again with the same radii as the existing axles.
Cheers. It's already in hand mate. These are being binned and redone with the radius. Machinist has made a mistake, so they're being sorted FOC.

Cheers. It's already in hand mate. These are being binned and redone with the radius. Machinist has made a mistake, so they're being sorted FOC.
I did wonder, it seemed like a bit of an oversight! Glad it's in hand, just better mentioned now than after a failure, people used to be awful for machining all the radii off vauxhaul front hubs when they did big block transplants

fly007_zps6bedc072.jpg

At least on the front you have the CV joint to hold the wheel on!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I did wonder, it seemed like a bit of an oversight! Glad it's in hand, just better mentioned now than after a failure, people used to be awful for machining all the radii off vauxhaul front hubs when they did big block transplants

fly007_zps6bedc072.jpg

At least on the front you have the CV joint to hold the wheel on!
Yeah I'd clocked it on the pictures that Nath sent to me the other day and mentioned it to him. He overlooked it from the excitement of getting them done! Lol! The main thing is that it's being sorted though. Nice set of paperweights though. 🙈

Yeah I remember that from back in the nova/corsa days! We ran with the Harry Hockley front setup back in the day.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I've had some spare time today, so a bit more progress has been made!

First up we have some brake lines. Ordered these off eBay to suit the Meg brembos.
image.jpeg
It's not quite viper green, but it'll do!!

Next on the hit list was the support bracket for the underside of the carbon airbox. No pictures of this, but it's there doing its job. After that I mounted the front air feed section for the airbox.
image.jpeg
Other jobs done were plumb in a couple of coolant pipes so it's now ready to be filled and bled up and made up a breather hose.
Thought I'd put the bonnet on to double check clearance between that and the inlet manifold. Quite entertaining that there's nothing that gives away what lurks beneath!!
image.jpeg

More to come.